Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

range questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to reiterate the above, particularly regarding charging on low amp supplies, I had a conversation with my service guy shortly after I got it when I noticed range was dropping off. I had been driving pretty short bursts and plugging it straight in again and the max had been ticking down. His recommendation of driving it to less than 25% battery, leaving it 30 minutes, and then doing a full range charge completely addressed it then and has since.

Just an update....I still can't get the car on the road for a week or two, but it does seem to be balancing and going up steadily. As I mentioned, I've been keeping it plugged into my 110v, and it's now up to 165 ideal miles in standard mode (up from 139, 148.) Does anyone have a hpc or 220v 14-50 cord for sale?

What sounds like the battery coolant pump has been on since last night
FWIW, the pump will come on any time you open the door or unplug the car or open the trunk. Anything to make the car think that maybe you're going to drive it, the pump comes on. So if you're opening the door to check the screen, pump on. A solution might be to take the top off. Then you can look inside without opening the door. I don't suppose it does any harm, though, for the pump to come on. It's just a detail that annoys me a wee bit.

Hi guys,
I know I can buy a new 50 amp cord from Tesla, but I'd rather find someone with an extra new one, or a used one in good working order. After paying $705 for a 110v cord from Tesla, I'd like to save some on the 220v 14-50 cord this time around, if I could! I can have the 50 amp service run to the garage at anytime. The car is now up to 167 ideal miles in standard mode today (165 yesterday.) It seems to be going up 1 to 2 miles of range each day (continuing to rebalance.)

I decided to try a little experiment. I charged my car to full in range mode, waited for a while for balancing, and then hit top off. It had 238 miles of ideal range.

Then I went out and drove the car with the intent of running it down to the bottom of standard mode (~25 miles in range mode). I wasn't trying to be efficient, so I ran the heat and drove on the freeway at traffic speed (60-70 MPH depending on where I was).

The disturbing thing was that I only got 170 miles total range. This wasn't because of limited battery capacity, it was because the car was consuming lots of energy per mile. Some of that was heat and some speed and some possibly the outside temp (~40F). Still, it seemed to be pretty low.

The total energy used was just under 50 kWh, which seems roughly right or even a little high for having 10% of the battery left after a full charge.

I charge the car to a full range mode again, and it came out to the same 238 miles. I drove it and charged up in standard mode, and it came out to 187, which is also what it was getting before.

So, at least for my car, running the battery from full to close to empty back to full did nothing to the ideal miles estimated.

I decided to try a little experiment. I charged my car to full in range mode, waited for a while for balancing, and then hit top off. It had 238 miles of ideal range.

Then I went out and drove the car with the intent of running it down to the bottom of standard mode (~25 miles in range mode). I wasn't trying to be efficient, so I ran the heat and drove on the freeway at traffic speed (60-70 MPH depending on where I was).

The disturbing thing was that I only got 170 miles total range.
The attached Range vs. Speed graph was published somewhere, probably on this chat board. Note that the range at 70 mph is just over 175 miles. That would be without agressive driving or use of the heater. Your 170 with heat was actually a little farther than I'd expect. Your car is doing fine.

And since your range figures are as expected, your pack is already balanced, and further balancing won't give any added range.

Drive at 55, no heat or A/C, no agressive starts or stops, to get the published 245 miles per charge in Range mode, or the 186 + or - in Standard.

I like to drive it hard, so I never come close to the ideal range. But I never have any reason to drive much over 100 miles, and even that's only to enjoy cruising the countryside on a nice sunny day with the mesh top on.

Attachments

• Range vs Speed.jpg
    Range vs Speed.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 290
The attached Range vs. Speed graph was published somewhere, probably on this chat board. Note that the range at 70 mph is just over 175 miles. That would be without agressive driving or use of the heater. Your 170 with heat was actually a little farther than I'd expect. Your car is doing fine.

Most of the freeway driving was at 60, 70 was maybe 10%. There was also maybe another 10% city driving. I was running the heat (both forced air and seat warmers) maybe a little more than half the time, probably on about half power. The total trip time was 4-ish hours. Half power heat is about 1.5 kW, so maybe 3 kWh for the heat. That's maybe a dozen miles of range, give or take. I probably drove another 5 miles at 80, so that costs some, too. I did one hill climb of maybe 400 feet (and then came back down), so that's a few miles (my measurements show if you go up & down you lose about half of the gravitational potential energy; I need to write up that post sometime). Also, I had 20 ideal miles left and I've lost 2-3% of battery capacity.

So I suppose that it's not too far off of what you'd expect.

I was able to drive the car the last two days. The first day was only about 60 miles (then recharged in standard mode,) and the second day was over 110 miles (again recharged in standard mode.) I didn't clock it exactly. Nonetheless, the pack is coming around. Both before my two driving days and after, the standard mode charge is up to 180-181 ideal miles, using 110v 15 amp input. Hopefully, it will come up a bit more still.

150 Est. Miles is about the standard charge (at least for me), So I'd say that you are getting pretty close to having your pack balanced. Although as of late I have been getting 180+ Est. (highest was 197 on a standard charge w/o topping off).

...The disturbing thing was that I only got 170 miles total range. This wasn't because of limited battery capacity, it was because the car was consuming lots of energy per mile. Some of that was heat and some speed and some possibly the outside temp (~40F). Still, it seemed to be pretty low.

The total energy used was just under 50 kWh, which seems roughly right or even a little high for having 10% of the battery left after a full charge.

I charge the car to a full range mode again, and it came out to the same 238 miles. I drove it and charged up in standard mode, and it came out to 187, which is also what it was getting before.

So, at least for my car, running the battery from full to close to empty back to full did nothing to the ideal miles estimated.
That's interesting. Is it possible to get an energy stored value? That would be an estimate of sorts based on the cells. Then an energy used value, which is something the car should be able to measure/record directly. Would be nice to know how well those numbers match up, not obfuscated by range estimates or driving style.