Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Question I know there are a few...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW my P90D February Average is 408 Wh/Mile, daily commute distance is more than "short urban", but still a cold-soaked battery setting off in the morning (charged at work, not home), and for the return too.

I drove 524 miles last Wednesday (well, the car did, i didn't have to do much :) ), a "there" and a "back" journey, nearly all dual carriageway, fair bit of roadworks, which helps of course, some spirited driving on the A5 which was mostly empty in North Wales :) (460 Wh/Mile for that leg), 370 Wh/Mile average for the dual carriageway sections and 387 Wh/Mile overall for the day. 10C-ish.

Car was charged (to 100%) for an hour immediately before departure to warm the battery. Journey driven on Range-Mode. Cabin heater set to around 23C

Follow up.. does this look in line with everyone else?
S85 2016, don't have a heavy foot, short trips.

20190307_060301.jpg

20190307_060234.jpg
20190307_060123.jpg

I said I would keep the thread updated on my situation...

I took my car in for the known wind noise issue on the near side and a few other things. When I arrived they told me they had run diagnostic and it turns out the battery is failing. They had already ordered a new replacement battery waiting to be fitted.

I didn't really have any obvious symptoms other than very slow charging 150 m/ph

as a reminder, my car is an 85kw Model S 2016 (not facelift)

Any thoughts?

I said I would keep the thread updated on my situation...

I took my car in for the known wind noise issue on the near side and a few other things. When I arrived they told me they had run diagnostic and it turns out the battery is failing. They had already ordered a new replacement battery waiting to be fitted.

I didn't really have any obvious symptoms other than very slow charging 150 m/ph

as a reminder, my car is an 85kw Model S 2016 (not facelift)

Any thoughts?
On the face of it that's a great result. You'll get a new battery with no degradation for free - and it's already on order. Winner!
I wonder what kind of pack you'll get since 85's are no longer being made?

In terms of charge rate, you need to find out/quote the rate in kW (set units to % instead of miles) since the mph value is averaged over time so doesn't give a usable measure of peak charge rate. Also it can take 30-60 minutes of driving before the battery is fully warmed and able to take peak power - and for an 85 the state of charge should be 20% or less to see the max charging rate (around 120 kW). With the latest software updates I gather that the car will proactively heat the battery if a supercharger is included as a destination in the Nav which may help reduce the amount of driving needed to warm things up. All of this is moot if Tesla have diagnosed a fault in your battery though.

On the face of it that's a great result. You'll get a new battery with no degradation for free - and it's already on order. Winner!
I wonder what kind of pack you'll get since 85's are no longer being made?

In terms of charge rate, you need to find out/quote the rate in kW (set units to % instead of miles) since the mph value is averaged over time so doesn't give a usable measure of peak charge rate. Also it can take 30-60 minutes of driving before the battery is fully warmed and able to take peak power - and for an 85 the state of charge should be 20% or less to see the max charging rate (around 120 kW). With the latest software updates I gather that the car will proactively heat the battery if a supercharger is included as a destination in the Nav which may help reduce the amount of driving needed to warm things up. All of this is moot if Tesla have diagnosed a fault in your battery though.

I was getting charge rates of 50kw

All sounds very positive,

Ok here I go again ...

So my s85 battery has been swapped out but nothing has changed. The service centre is now saying the car needs a firmware upgrade as its on the last update in 2018.

The car is always on wifi and the SC say the update has been downloaded but the car is not giving any options to install.

- it feels like they haven't changed the battery at all when they are saying they have. (They say they replaced it for another new 85 but as far as I know they dont make them anymore)

- They had the car for 2 weeks but didnt do the upgrade, anyone else know how to make the cae upgrade?

The new battery wont charge past 96%

Please someone help ... again

As recommended other places, drive your car down to 10% remaining, then charge back up to 90% at night.

Bump it up to 100% charge limit right before driving a longer distance.

Depending on your home charging speed, set your car to finish just before leaving. The battery management system balances your cells after the pack reaches 94% and above...so it will take a few attempts to get your new pack balanced.

Reactions: NorthEastUk
Ok here I go again ...

So my s85 battery has been swapped out but nothing has changed. The service centre is now saying the car needs a firmware upgrade as its on the last update in 2018.

The car is always on wifi and the SC say the update has been downloaded but the car is not giving any options to install.

- it feels like they haven't changed the battery at all when they are saying they have. (They say they replaced it for another new 85 but as far as I know they dont make them anymore)

- They had the car for 2 weeks but didnt do the upgrade, anyone else know how to make the cae upgrade?

I'm not sure if I can be of much practical help but here's my suggestions:
1. Document all the specific evidence you have that relates to the behaviour of your battery (max % charge, max Supercharger rate, anything else?)
2. Document repeatable tests to check if any of the above has changed following work by the SC or software updates (charge up in controlled conditions, Supercharge in controlled conditions etc.)
3. Have a look for the battery label - on my S70 this is just behind the front right wheel arch, partly obscured by some material lining the wheel arch. This will tell you what kind of battery you have (85, 75 etc.) and from the part number it may be that clever people on here can tell you if it has been changed or is an original.
4. The SC should have given you some paperwork so double check what it says they have done.

My car is on 2018.48.12.1 d6999f5. I don't see how a new software update will make any difference to some of the issues you've mentioned, particularly max Supercharger rate.

For me there are two key tests:
1. Supercharge rate. This should follow the plot shown in ABRP's excellent blog: Tesla Battery Charging Data from 801 Cars. You need to refer to the BT85 plot. For a fully warm battery below 20% SOC it should charge at 118 kW. If it's an older battery that has been rapid charged more than a certain amount it will be capped to something like 90 kW. If the battery isn't fully warm, or you're sharing a charger pair, you'll get less, maybe as low as 30 kW (also make sure your charger port is dry and the SuC cable is dry and not cracked or damaged). At this time of year you may need an hour of driving to make sure the battery is fully warmed up (this is one area the latest software update might make a difference as I think cars will now pre-heat the battery if a Supercharger is a destination in the Nav).
2. kWh used on a long trip. Charge the car up to 90%+. Make a note of the state of charge immediately before setting off. Do a long drive - the more charge you use, the more accurate the reading. Don't get out of the driver's seat otherwise the trip will stop recording current energy use. The car will take account of the heater, lights etc so long as it's awake. Note the state of charge and trip stats at the end of the journey, in particular the energy used since last charge.

For example: Charge to 95% and set off immediately, drive 100+ miles without getting out of car, arrive with 40%. Trip says 39.6 kW used since last charge. So 55% used = 39.6 kW, estimated battery capacity is 39.6/0.55 = 72 kWh. ABRP says their average measured 85 capacity is 73.4 kWh for reference.

Personally I wouldn't be too hung up about only charging to 96%, that could just be a calibration error that will settle down (my car has never charged above 99% since new). The key metrics should be (a) max Supercharger charge rate of at least 90 kW and (b) estimated capacity around 70 kWh. But I'm no expert and all of the above is based on personal experience with my S70 (I don't have anything clever like a OBDII logger thingy).

HTH!