Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about Pre-Paid Service Plans and Extended Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was planning to purchase the Service plan, but now I'm not so sure.

According to https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...hments/na_tesla_service_plan_agreement_ot.pdf, I have to bring it in every 12500 (+/- 1000 miles) or 1 year (+/-30 days), whichever comes first, or that service is forfeit.

That means if I drive 24K a year, I have to bring it in twice a year, even though it's not likely to need it that frequently. It should be every 12k OR 1 year at my discretion, not whichever comes first. Aside from tire rotation, a Model S S85 should not need service every 6 months.

Getting the 4+4 plan would only last me 4 years, meaning I would be paying $950 a year in maintenance, instead of $600 if I just buy it each year without the plan.

I was planning to purchase the Service plan, but now I'm not so sure.

According to https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...hments/na_tesla_service_plan_agreement_ot.pdf, I have to bring it in every 12500 (+/- 1000 miles) or 1 year (+/-30 days), whichever comes first, or that service is forfeit.

That means if I drive 24K a year, I have to bring it in twice a year, even though it's not likely to need it that frequently. It should be every 12k OR 1 year at my discretion, not whichever comes first. Aside from tire rotation, a Model S S85 should not need service every 6 months.

Getting the 4+4 plan would only last me 4 years, meaning I would be paying $950 a year in maintenance, instead of $600 if I just buy it each year without the plan.

Talk to your local service center manager -- they won't hold you to every 12,500 miles.... I drive 25,000/year and brought mine in August for yearly service at 17,500 miles and will only be bringing it in once a year and the manager was totally fine - he was actually the one to suggest it!

This way I'm paying $475 instead of $600 each year.

Aaron

The reason I worry about that is that is not what the paperwork says. I doubt that Tesla, at this point in the company's life, is going to be sticking it to their customers on warranty issues... but the way that's worded, they could if they wanted to.

Talk to your local service center manager -- they won't hold you to every 12,500 miles.... I drive 25,000/year and brought mine in August for yearly service at 17,500 miles and will only be bringing it in once a year and the manager was totally fine - he was actually the one to suggest it!

This way I'm paying $475 instead of $600 each year.

Aaron

That's good to know. I'll ask them when I pick up the car.
Hopefully the service manager stands behind what he's suggested, since the service agreement is pretty specific about it:

Notwithstanding the date this Agreement is purchased or becomes effective, maintenance inspections
must be performed within 1,000 miles or 30 days of the specified maintenance intervals for Your selected
Plan. Any scheduled maintenance not completed within such time will be excluded and no maintenance
inspections will be added as a replacement for any such excluded maintenance inspections.

Has anyone changed the wiper blades themselves? It looks hard to do. I want mine changed frequently to avoid scratches on the windshield. I suggest that people need to be proactive if they don't do the Tesla service frequently. Maybe someone could post a you tube of changing the wipers.

Picking nits the prepaid contract is for one service per year, but as liuping says tire rotate and balance should be a 6 month thing. Mercedes-Benz's "recommended" service will have you in the service bay ever 3 months, required every 6 months for rotate and balance, and absolutely positively at least once every 12 months for oil change.

Ranger service can handle rattles, leaks, and whatnot. So what else is there for justifying "unlimited" Ranger service? Currently I am 180 miles from the Marietta SC and will be 80-100 miles from one in Nashville depending on where they put it.

I have a question. With the increase in warranty cover to 8 years, what benefit is there in purchasing for $4100 an extra 4 years for an extended service agreement? I am not certain what the warranty extension to 8 years by Tesla covers and what additional items are covered by the additional extended service plan.

If needed, this additional service plan can be purchased up to 30 days before the original warranty expires.

I have a question. With the increase in warranty cover to 8 years, what benefit is there in purchasing for $4100 an extra 4 years for an extended service agreement? I am not certain what the warranty extension to 8 years by Tesla covers and what additional items are covered by the additional extended service plan.

If needed, this additional service plan can be purchased up to 30 days before the original warranty expires.

The increase in warranty, assuming you're talking about the "infinite mile" battery pack warranty that was extended to the drive train, is the drive train only. Your door handles, air suspension, air conditioner, power steering, power hatch back, etc are the basic 4 year. It's those other items that the extended "service agreement" would cover. It's basically an extended warranty by another name, presumably for some legal reasons.

The extended service plan (horribly confusing naming, calling them both "service" items) is just prepaid service.

What does the warranty say if you do not take it in for the $600 annual service? Is this a requirement for drive train to be covered should there be any issues?

If required, it would seem that it should have been included in the price of the car rather than being a hidden cost.

If not required, why do the service except perhaps before the warranty expires to ensure everything is running as it should?

Just wondering how I should view the annual service (requirement or prudent preventative maintenance?)

What does the warranty say if you do not take it in for the $600 annual service? Is this a requirement for drive train to be covered should there be any issues?
Nope, you're never required to bring it in.

If not required, why do the service except perhaps before the warranty expires to ensure everything is running as it should?
Just wondering how I should view the annual service (requirement or prudent preventative maintenance?)

Yep, preventative maintenance, just like with almost any complex item.

The increase in warranty, assuming you're talking about the "infinite mile" battery pack warranty that was extended to the drive train, is the drive train only. Your door handles, air suspension, air conditioner, power steering, power hatch back, etc are the basic 4 year. It's those other items that the extended "service agreement" would cover. It's basically an extended warranty by another name, presumably for some legal reasons.

The extended service plan (horribly confusing naming, calling them both "service" items) is just prepaid service.

Thanks a lot. This helps me make the correct decision. I will probably take up the extended service agreement in time. It appears i have plenty of time to make a decision now I know what is involved.