Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about options model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m trying to convince my wife to get a model X. It’s a bit big for us, empty nesters, but I like an SUV style more than a sedan I’d order a performance with all the options except I’m on the fence with ludicrous mode. While it’s cool and I’d enjoy a few times for 20k is it worth it in an SUV that can run down pretty much anything other than a Tesla with ludicrous mode? Will it negatively effect resale? In other words do people find ludicrous more desirable and pass on non-ludicrous cars? If it’s going to make the car more desirable long term I’d consider but I’m not just not sure it’s the best way to dump 20k. I want a 7 seat, 22s, white on white, FSD. The supercharger network is making this a serious consideration as my kids are in VA, FL, CO (we live UWS NYC) and while a road trip would be a huge rarity (I prefer flying) it would be fun to occasionally some of the country without worry. Most of the time it would run errands, go to the NJ shore and tailgating at the giants games. A Y would be nice but I’m getting impatient. I’ve also preordered a Rivian and a Porsche and I am not buying all 3. However the Rivian might be nice for driving on the beach at my house in FL. I wonder how the X would do in the beach sand?

Thoughts for an EV newb?

Thanks.

You will not get anything close to $20k back on resale from Ludicrous. I would get it if you want it but not base the cost/benefit analysis significantly on resale recoup. As for speed, I just got my non-P X this past weekend and let's just say I will not find any scenario in which more speed is required. A 'regular' Performance X is already a monster.

Let me tell you that since you plan possible cross-country road-tripping, the Supercharger network is a *massive* benefit. This is your first electric car? If so, it's very difficult to comprehend just how big a deal the Supercharger network is. There is no 2nd place at present. Here's a writeup of one of several long trips I've taken in case it's helpful to you. Toss on Autopilot and Teslas are simply a road-tripper's dream. Road-tripping in a Tesla is far more fun than in any other car I've owned, and I enjoy it more than flying, as well.

This is not meant to slight Rivian--I think their prototypes look good and I wish them well. But I would not plan on a Rivian for road-tripping until they figure out their nationwide charging network plans.

Thanks @Zaxxon i wasn’t looking to recoup the 20k just don’t want to have an undesirable version of the car if I don’t get it. The performance gains would be used a couple of times—I don’t really see a use for it. If it were a roadster I wouldn’t think twice and get ludicrous or plaid (whichever the roadster receives).

SC network is becoming the leading factor plus integration with nav. I sat in an S (guessing nav is same) and it plotted the two necessary stops, the locations and charge times between my apartment in NYC and my house in FL. Pretty cool.

Looking to drop my wife’s S550 so I’d like her to be somewhat happy—she Thinks it’s a bit ugly but loves the ride and interior. I haven’t driven an X but she has.

Reactions: Zaxxon
...undesirable version...

It's very desirable but the question is affordability. But if you trade it in then of course Tesla can afford it!

...how the X would do in the beach sand?...

None of the current Roadster, S, X ,3 are designed for off-road although people still do off-roads such as the case of Model S went mushroom hunting in the mud and required 2 different tow trucks to get it out!

• Funny
Reactions: Zer0t and candy_sr
Wife has a 90D, I got the P90DL. If all you've driven is the standard, you will be satisfied with it. Just don't ever test drive the performance or one with Ludicrous unless you want to say bye to your money. I'm the main driver when taking the family out and alternate between the two (as they are practically identical) and can definitely tell the difference between the two hence we almost always take mine. Of course it makes it more desirable but you will only get a couple grand at most more than non performance if you sell it later. The difference between our two 2016 CPO's was 3k. It most definitely is nowhere near worth 20k on a new one.

I just had this same internal convo before I ordered.

My opinion: The P +Luda is cool, but I just couldn't bear the thought of the drop in value 2 years from now (even if you can afford it...it's still hard to swallow). Plus, i'd rather have the longer range of the non-P version and spring for FSD and 22" rims with the extra money.

Reactions: jboy210