Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q4 2015 Conference call discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They showed the prototype S. They showed the prototype X. They showed the P85D. They showed the PowerWall. With the biggest event they've ever had, they're not going to show the 3?

His reply is more of a snark at those that speculated that they won't show it.

I'm glad a lot of people heard something different from what I heard. Elon doesn't seem to like playing games in general, which is why I would have expected him to answer simply "Yes we'll show the car" if he was sure they would.

"Keeping cards close to the vest" is a pretty common saying.

It just means that they're not showing everything. I still think this means a car is coming, but for example we may not see the CUV version, or the interior, of the car.

Elon's answer also surprised me--I would have also expected an unambiguous response. Perhaps is does not occur to him that no showing the car is an option, so his perspective is purely around how much of the car to reveal.

Does anyone have the transcript so we can settle this? FWIW, my opinion is that they are showing the car. Literally makes no sense not to. But I only heard a portion of the question. My opinion aligns with the latter quoted statement.

We located the question and answer occurring at 57:30 in the call (asked by Ben Kallo). I'll also add that "not showing all our cards" is something EM talked about in a previous call, when we were anticipating the release of the Model X. So, this was familiar language.

They wouldn't have an event to release a picture. That would just require a press release. Referral Program winners got tickets to the M3 event, it's an unveiling. Elon is just saying the they don't want to give away information a good 1.5 years early as competitors could copy them. Many times concept cars are more design study than production ready. The MX was a concept car, but luckily true to life. The M3 could keep many details a secret, but give away just enough to get preorders.

Wow, I must have struck a nerve...................

Really??? I have a much different reaction to the new CFO. I preferred his enthusiasm and candor, if you will, over anything I ever heard from Deepak.

I think resorting to the snake oil comment is absurd, I heard nothing of the sort. Just because someone is younger doesn't mean they are any less capable of doing a job and suggesting that someone was lying to you because of their youth and enthusiasm just leaves me scratching my head...

Jeff

It sounded to me that they may do a SIG version for the Model 3. EM was pretty clear they are going to sell the higher optioned 3's first to pay off costs. What do you all get off that?
Mentioned around the 49 minute mark.
As Model 3 is a much higher volume vehicle, I wonder if the number of sigs could be higher too? Perhaps 5000 or even 10000 for each of US and Europe.

What will be most interesting for me is to see where the second hand market is by that time. An 8 year battery/power train warranty will make a four year old MS very attractive when compared to a new optioned M3.

I was a bit surprised by Elon's response to the question about M3 pulling from MS sales. He returned to the Seven versus Three series analysis which may be true but it does ignore the not insignificant number of people that post about MS being the most expensive car they have ever purchased along with something like "I never thought I would pay this much for a car". I think MS is unique to a point where it does pull some number of sales from outside its "class". It is impossible to know now as there is no Three series to the Seven series that is MS.

Pretty good call--analysts are getting better at asking useful questions

Yes. I'm still amazed how much waste of time goes into explaining how product development and manufacturing startup works financially; isn't that a well known model that financial types would understand really well? But anyway they go through it so that's fine and it's dealt with so no harm no foul, but it gets nuisansome and probably detracts from more useful queries.

That was the most tired I've heard Elon.

He's clearly aged about two decades in the last half decade. I've been calling for him to delegate more. I'm hoping he got over the hump with Space X & Model X; you can sort of hear a sigh of relief in how he talks. Now, he's rolling in it with the GigaFactory and Model 3, so he's sounding relatively upbeat compared to the tightness he's adopted for the whole Model X thing.

- - - Updated - - -

(query about what "cards" to show) What does this even mean?

It's an English expression about card games: how much to publicize (advertise) vs. how much to strategically keep secret for advantage.

- - - Updated - - -

What will be most interesting for me is to see where the second hand market is by that time. An 8 year battery/power train warranty will make a four year old MS very attractive when compared to a new optioned M3.

Yes, but as I'm looking at that right now, I'm weighing warranty costs too! I've already decided on an S or X, but to someone considering a new 3 vs used S, the warranty cost difference (as in repairs not under warranty on an old S vs. all in covered on the new 3) would be HUGE.

I was a bit surprised by Elon's response to the question about M3 pulling from MS sales. He returned to the Seven versus Three series analysis which may be true but it does ignore the not insignificant number of people that post about MS being the most expensive car they have ever purchased along with something like "I never thought I would pay this much for a car". I think MS is unique to a point where it does pull some number of sales from outside its "class". It is impossible to know now as there is no Three series to the Seven series that is MS.

Me too. I get his point about most people cross shopping A 7-series against a 3-sereis, but I think that does not hold with Tesla, since here is only one model of sedan. I cannot image M3 not cannibalizing the MS, and not just because of price, but for folks that want a smaller car. Plus, I think a P70DL Model 3 would be insane.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. I'm still amazed how much waste of time goes into explaining how product development and manufacturing startup works financially; isn't that a well known model that financial types would understand really well? But anyway they go through it so that's fine and it's dealt with so no harm no foul, but it gets nuisansome and probably detracts from more useful queries.

You would think, but until the last couple of calls, they had to explain rev rec and built vs delivered every single call, so...

Me too. I get his point about most people cross shopping A 7-series against a 3-sereis, but I think that does not hold with Tesla, since here is only one model of sedan. I cannot image M3 not cannibalizing the MS, and not just because of price, but for folks that want a smaller car. Plus, I think a P70DL Model 3 would be insane.

- - - Updated - - -

You would think, but until the last couple of calls, they had to explain rev rec and built vs delivered every single call, so...
Model S owners will buy the M3 for their kids. It will not be cross-shopped by most buyers. Totally different demographic. It is only comparable currently since the tech is so new. Down the road it won't be an issue of cannibalization.

Hopefully the extreme challenges of developing Model S and X will have taught them enough lessons to make Model 3 a relative breeze.
Elon said they are making the M3 for easier production.