Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting 0-60 in Perspective

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decibels!

(I'm hoping someone will record a video of Model S against one of these monsters, with alternating camera shots from the cockpits--load engines noises versus complete silence in the Model S. Would be a cool video!)

Already booked my friend with an R8 and the track will be ready for multicam sexyness when I get my S In the summer - or someone else come chipping in theirs when the snow is gone. ;)

_____
Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

Cool post. I would recommend that you all check out car and driver. They have a 5-60mph test that will blow your minds. Remember that motortrend is doing race starts (revved engines and launch control) on drag strips to get these numbers.

5-60mph
Model s: 4.5 sec.
2013 m5 4.6
2012 e63 wagon w/ performance pack 4.5
2013 panamera gts 4.6
2012 panamera turbo s 3.7
2013 gt500 4sec
Audi s6 4.9sec
2012 gtr 3.7sec
Point is on the street with non-professional drivers all of you MSP drivers will come out on top more often than not.
Enjoy it while it last.
:smile:

Excellent comparison Alexander. The Model S P is the ultimate sleeper. By the time people do the "double-take" and start to say "is that a T.." - I'm GONE! :cool:
One of the oft-rediscovered jokes is regarding the "S Car".

I have a feeling that the combination of the Roadster and the Model S Perf, "WTF was that T car that just took flight" will be a more common refrain. Definitely a good way to do early marketing for the brand to bank as the X and Gen 3 reach the mainstream buyers.

I'm told the GTR has an expensive maintenance schedule.
Looking at Nissan's site, the GT-R gas burner is a $90 - $100K car depending on trim. We're nitpicking 10ths of seconds blasting to 60MPH and forgetting that the S is an advanced, luxury SEDAN and most important of all, is completely electric. There truely is no direct comparison to a Model S P. EarlyAdopter sums it up: "It's a 4 door electric super car."

Model S beat the Viper in a drag race! How come? The Viper does 0-60 in 3,5 sec.

Likely one or more of the following:
  • some reported Viper #s are with launch control, not clear from the video if launch control was used
  • driver variability
  • *2005* Viper in the video, which I believe has > 3.5 reported 0-60
  • more reliable start on EV than orchestrated dance to get a good ICE launch

Oh please.

The S is a fabulous sports sedan and I love it. But to compare it to all these cars is to miss the point.

It's dramatically superior in many ways: seats 7, all electric, cheaper than many, etc

It's quite similar in one way: 0-60 MPH acceleration

But the comparable is a big Merc AMG: cars fast in a straight line. To measure a Ferrari or 911 or anything else by 0-60 is to miss the point: they are all about handling, braking, composure, feeling the road through the suspension and steering. My Model S is wonderful for my commute, and it may be as fast or faster as my Audi R8 in straight line, and the infotainment is lights-out superior, BUT... the R8 is 10x more fun to drive fast and would absolute smoke the Model S around a track or twisty road, up until the Tesla throttled power due to inability to cool the electronics, at which point it would lap it.

So, different cars for different purposes, but the fact that a tesla beats a Ferrari 0-60 is no more relevant than a Subaru WRX STi or Vette doing the same.

But to compare it to all these cars is to miss the point.
It's quite similar in one way: 0-60 MPH acceleration
It's not missing the point, it's focusing on only 1 point.

So, different cars for different purposes, but the fact that a tesla beats a Ferrari 0-60 is no more relevant
It's completely relevant in addressing the fear/expectation/whatever that an EV can't be a rocket like some of the established ICE makers have provided. The fact that the S is holding up as well as it is within this class of vehicles is a strong statement.

To measure a Ferrari or 911 or anything else by 0-60 is to miss the point: they are all about handling, braking, composure, feeling the road through the suspension and steering.
To my knowledge, the general public (and even specific naysayers) haven't suggested an EV can't compete on these fronts. Thus, there isn't anything "an EV can't do..." that needs to be refuted in these areas. Most people seem to concede that those aspects of a quality driving experience can and will be applied to EVs in the future, and won't require a significant breakthrough to accomplish. Consequently, no need to focus on those characteristics to prove the viability of EV vehicles.

Now, to evaluate the Model S offering as a vehicle whole is another interesting discussion (and one that's been had many times on the forum) but it's not a "better" discussion or a "more valid" discussion. Just a different one.

That Lotus Exige S (roadster) is not what we typically think of as an Exige here in the US. It's the hard top version (with a roof intake scoop) of the Elise, and is represented by virtually any other image you find by putting Exige into google images. I'm not sure the car pictured has made its way to production.

For what that's worth.