Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PUP decision. Need expert opinion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear experts,

I am going to order a model X this weekend. I am struggling to decide if I should get PUP.

I had an extended test drive. Enjoyed door's "auto present" and Bio filter but don't care much about them. The ambient light is quite weak that I don't even notice

That leaves leather arm rest and steeling wheel, but I heard that it does not apply to ultra white seats.

The only thing left are frog light and dynamic LED headlights

I guess my question is would the interior feel more luxury with PUP?

I have not seen one without PUP so I don't really know the difference

It costs $4500. Is it worth it?

Thanks

Apart from Auto present and lights, Everything else Tesla offers as an additional add on for all cars. If you can I suggest waiting until then end of the second 2nd Quarter, as Tesla will likely unveil something by then and incentivize you buying a car at that time because they want to boost sales numbers. It's also likely they'll add something to PUP as currently there is little reason why anyone would pay $4,500 for it.

Thanks

Without PUP, can I still double click the key fob to open the door? Some said and some said no. I guess it may be diff between 2016 and 2017 model

Thanks

No you cannot. That requires Auto front doors to be enabled which is only available with PUP.

To me I don't think PUP adds all that much "luxury". The extra leather is nice, but I ordered it more for the extra high tech. The auto doors, the ventilated seats (not available anymore but still costs the same), bio-weapon filter (wasn't available a la carte when I bought), the cornering fog lights, etc. It's hard to explain that I didn't think it was worth $4,500 but I bought it anyways.

Bioweapon is a wonderful thing, and probably a must have going forward for me - but as another poster said, it is now available separately after delivery.

I've been told that a bunch of the interior surfaces are made of different material in non PUP cars, but I've never seen one so I don't know if that's true.

The adaptive headlights are useful in neighborhoods at night, but not a make or break feature IMO.

I really wanted the ventilated seats - but in practice they really don't feel much different to me when they are on most of the time.

I think it is a personal opinion as to whether it is "worth" it. Although $4,500 is definitely a lot of money, it is a lot more to some than others.

That said, I can't imagine my car without the self-presenting door and the directional headlights. I agree that the ambient lighting leaves something to be desired. The rest of the add ons are not that special.

Thank you all for your advice.

If it still has the ventilated speed, the choice is much easier because, to me, the seat looks more luxurious even if it does not functional as well as it should have

Without PUP, can I hit the break to close the door?

Thanks

Bioweapon is reported to cost $750 if added later. It is on the Tesla website already, but apparently back ordered.

The double-click front door is pretty darn cool, but is it worth the $$? Many people turn off auto-present because it can be annoying at times. It may be possible to activate the LED lighting on your own, there is a thread where some owners are working on that. How to turn on ambient interior lighting without the Premium Upgrades Package

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 11.34.22 AM.png

I didn't think it was worth it, but if I were to do it again, I would splurge. Alcantera looks and feels nicer than what I have. The lights are somewhat dim, and extra lighting for corners and fog I would absolutely buy as an add on now. I am buying the filter. I bought the brighter interior lights and added underseat lights. My black interior is very dark, and I would like the mood lighting to help. So, I would buy the whole package today if it were offered, after having declined it initially.

Initially, I really didn't care for the auto presenting doors because my kid kept getting smacked by the door when we did our extended test drive. But know he has learned to wait for the door to open and I have been spoiled. I can do without it, but I am very happy I got it.

Thanks. I will call the Burbank CA service center tomorrow to see if they are currently servicing any late model cars without PUP. If yes, I may stop by to check it out. Just to see, not test driving or anything.

Hopefully, I can make a decision right after

Again, I can understand the argument for it but...man...$4500... is tough for what it offers. I may get the ultra audio instead.

I will say this having both the PUP and UHF, I would opt for the PUP first (if you have to choose between the two). I was unimpressed with the UHF. Don't get me wrong, I think it sounds nice, but I expected much more improvements in the 6 years since I last bought a car (fully loaded MDX). Since I am a music guy, I always buy the best stereo available, so I can't say that I compared UHF to the standard option.