Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I was chill driving yesterday on a highway hoovering at about 95km/h fascinated about relatively low consumption of 140wh/km considering misty wet roads and wild wind. The consumption tab was also showing more or less the same (10,25,50 km) as always however, at some point it started to show ridiculous high numbers. See dark skin photos attached.

This morning I decided to test it again on my way to work. I drove 10km, consume about 2% of range and consumption on the trip card shows 168Wh/km however, in the energy app, consumption tab for last 10km was showing a whooping 307Wh/km.

I’m quite sure that consumption is not real but I wonder how will this affect planning of longer journeys (I plan one soon). Important to mention that my car updated to 2023.6.8 the night before which I believe is one of the most likely cause of this. I restarted the car and still the same.

Anybody experience the same and/or maybe have an advice?

Cheers,
Florin

Attachments

• D5C81F84-25FB-4E6A-B926-DB8ECC470493.jpeg
    D5C81F84-25FB-4E6A-B926-DB8ECC470493.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 3,031
  • E5AD4987-B550-422D-85F7-1A04F4434026.jpeg
    E5AD4987-B550-422D-85F7-1A04F4434026.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 291
  • A9ADDEE8-1A5B-4C4B-B938-037178ABC5DC.jpeg
    A9ADDEE8-1A5B-4C4B-B938-037178ABC5DC.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 269
Reactions: 4est
I have an update from Tesla service on this topic.
We have performed an initial investigation into your Energy App concern. Software update 2023.6.8 which you recently installed contained significant updates and reworks to the Energy App. The miscalculations you see are likely due to the older algorithms being overwritten by the update. As you continue to drive, these should smooth out and become more accurate. My suggestion is we keep this appointment open over the weekend to allow additional time to test. If you still notice large discrepancys occuring we can investigate further, If the behavior improves then we can close the investigation. Kind regards, xxx - Tesla Service.

So, this sounds positive but I do not plan any long trip this weekend in order to validate this but only later on next week. I will definitely keep an eye on this and provide an update here on this topic.

I hope this helps people that experience the same issue and come across this page.

Got the same problem after the update. Did two 100km trips yesterday and the energy predictions during navigation and the numbers in the trip cards are still fine. Only the consumption numbers in the energy app are way too high (about twice the correct numbers?)

Got the same problem after the update. Did two 100km trips yesterday and the energy predictions during navigation and the numbers in the trip cards are still fine. Only the consumption numbers in the energy app are way too high (about twice the correct numbers?)

Yup, same. I did 200kms today (planned road trip) and I'm seeing ~300 on the energy app and ~150 on the trip cards. Energy app is clearly broken.

Hello,

I was chill driving yesterday on a highway hoovering at about 95km/h fascinated about relatively low consumption of 140wh/km considering misty wet roads and wild wind. The consumption tab was also showing more or less the same (10,25,50 km) as always however, at some point it started to show ridiculous high numbers. See dark skin photos attached.

This morning I decided to test it again on my way to work. I drove 10km, consume about 2% of range and consumption on the trip card shows 168Wh/km however, in the energy app, consumption tab for last 10km was showing a whooping 307Wh/km.

I’m quite sure that consumption is not real but I wonder how will this affect planning of longer journeys (I plan one soon). Important to mention that my car updated to 2023.6.8 the night before which I believe is one of the most likely cause of this. I restarted the car and still the same.

Anybody experience the same and/or maybe have an advice?

Cheers,
Florin
Jest remember the first few km or miles are always much worse. Things seem to settle down after about 10 miles.

Same problem with 2121 M3LR.
I have an update from Tesla service on this topic.
We have performed an initial investigation into your Energy App concern. Software update 2023.6.8 which you recently installed contained significant updates and reworks to the Energy App. The miscalculations you see are likely due to the older algorithms being overwritten by the update. As you continue to drive, these should smooth out and become more accurate. My suggestion is we keep this appointment open over the weekend to allow additional time to test. If you still notice large discrepancys occuring we can investigate further, If the behavior improves then we can close the investigation. Kind regards, xxx - Tesla Service.

So, this sounds positive but I do not plan any long trip this weekend in order to validate this but only later on next week. I will definitely keep an eye on this and provide an update here on this topic.

I hope this helps people that experience the same issue and come across this page.

I am guessing it's not that simple. While a simple error factor might explain average values, it does not explain the wild fluctuations that I and others are seeing.
Agree. Is not that simple as just a multiplier. It looks like the entire average graph is somehow offset somehow high. For instance, I drove today “like a nanny” and even on the full regen periods I could not get the graph to go below zero (in the green area). Something it to tell skewed but Tesla service is looking into this.

The miscalculations you see are likely due to the older algorithms being overwritten by the update. As you continue to drive, these should smooth out and become more accurate.
😂

As Elon Musk would say: 💩

Just wait for the software fix and ignore this. At least the trip meter seems to be correct, as I understand it. Really all that matters anyway, and hopefully the trip planner isn’t more screwed up than it was originally before this update (it was screwed up for sure, so they will keep fiddling with it until they hit on a correct fix).

Just dead reckon it between Superchargers in the meantime, assuming 350Wh/mi for margin. Adjust for elevation net gain/loss at 1.6kWh/1k feet. Or whatever floats your boat. Doesn’t really matter and calculations are simple multiplication and division. (Distance * Consumption / vehicle display constant = required displayed range at SuC departure)

😂

As Elon Musk would say: 💩

Just wait for the software fix and ignore this. At least the trip meter seems to be correct, as I understand it. Really all that matters anyway, and hopefully the trip planner isn’t more screwed up than it was originally before this update (it was screwed up for sure, so they will keep fiddling with it until they hit on a correct fix).

Just dead reckon it between Superchargers in the meantime, assuming 350Wh/mi for margin. Adjust for elevation net gain/loss at 1.6kWh/1k feet. Or whatever floats your boat. Doesn’t really matter and calculations are simple multiplication and division. (Distance * Consumption / vehicle display constant = required displayed range at SuC departure)
To be fair, Tesla service has been engaging on this quite well so far (active on messages and they even call to explain what they are doing). Today, they push the same update once again to my car and was even downloaded via LTE connection so I could remotely install it. They say this could potentially fix the issue. I did two small 10Km trips after that and consumption shown on the trip cards is spot on with the one shown in the energy app “consumption” tab.
So, fingers crossed this was the fix but maybe too early to celebrate. I will have a longer drive later this week to confirm.

Attachments

• 48CB46FF-0195-4565-9F87-9EFBACECE806.jpeg
    48CB46FF-0195-4565-9F87-9EFBACECE806.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
To be fair, Tesla service has been engaging on this quite well so far (active on messages and they even call to explain what they are doing). Today, they push the same update once again to my car and was even downloaded via LTE connection so I could remotely install it. They say this could potentially fix the issue. I did two small 10Km trips after that and consumption shown on the trip cards is spot on with the one shown in the energy app “consumption” tab.
So, fingers crossed this was the fix but maybe too early to celebrate. I will have a longer drive later this week to confirm.
I tried the same (re-installing the same 2023.6.8 by Service Mode on the screen) . There is a button on Service Mode that allow you to reinstall the current update version.
Nothing changed