Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New (2022) Energy App - what is "Rated" graph showing me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the new Energy App that came out in 2022, the "Trip" tab is pretty much the old graph, plus some new statistics on energy consumption. I understand that the orange parts of the graph show where I'm using more energy than predicted, and green shows where I'm using less than predicted.

But what is the "Rated" tab showing me? I'd assume that orange and green mean the same thing as in the "Trip" tab, except that they don't match. Here are screen shots of both tabs from the same 27 mile trip
  1. "Trip" tab shows about half orange / half green and says 0.0% less than trip projection.
  2. "Rated" tabs shows almost all green and says 1.3% less than est. vehicle consumption
I guess I don't understand what the gray line is in "Rated" and why I'm above it (green) most of the time, when the "Trip" tab shows that the 1st half of that trip was in the orange. Just trying to understand.

20221207T120152.jpg

20221207T120138.jpg

if you look at the straight line on the rated tab it goes down literally mile for mile (well it would do if you were showing miles). The wobbly line is what you actually do.

When it’s on trip, the straight line changes to a prediction for the route you’re taking, that’s what we’ve been used to on the old screen.

Trip knows exactly where you're going. It can check elevation, wind, assume an average speed that you have driven recently. It uses all that to figure out how you'll spend energy. As you drive, it compares your actual driving against that and shows where energy was spent.

Rated only starts with the EPA constant for your car. It doesn't know where you're going so it's just a straight line over the distance. As you drive, it will show how you fared against that EPA constant and tell you where energy was spent.

Trip knows exactly where you're going. It can check elevation, wind, assume an average speed that you have driven recently. It uses all that to figure out how you'll spend energy. As you drive, it compares your actual driving against that and shows where energy was spent.

Rated only starts with the EPA constant for your car. It doesn't know where you're going so it's just a straight line over the distance. As you drive, it will show how you fared against that EPA constant and tell you where energy was spent.
So from the screenshots I gave, I used 1.3% less than the EPA rating for my car, but used exactly what what the Tesla computer estimated that I would use (0.0% less). If that's correct, then the "Rated" tab doesn't seem very useful, other than the "Range Tips" advice that it gives.

So from the screenshots I gave, I used 1.3% less than the EPA rating for my car, but used exactly what what the Tesla computer estimated that I would use (0.0% less). If that's correct, then the "Rated" tab doesn't seem very useful, other than the "Range Tips" advice that it gives.
Rated tab works whether you use sat nav or not, trip only works when using the nav (I believe)

Reactions: GtiMart