Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventing audio auto-play

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no "albums" on the USB with my classical music. My "track" is one long file - no album at all specified in the metadata - and I selected the track through either the Artist or Genre tabs with the shuffle and repeat functions on, so if the song had played through to completion after the car mysteriously woke up, it should have moved randomly to another track from the same artist or within the same genre, for example. Why also, would it stop after playing that single track if the music was going while I was out of the car? Once this happened while I was eating at a restaurant for about 30 minutes after listening to a Rachmaninoff concerto at the time I got out of the car. There were probably about 12+ hours of more Rachmaninoff on the USB drive to get through, so had it treated the current Artist playlist the same as your "Album" playlist it would have been on another piece when I returned, and not at the beginning. There wasn't time to get through the rest of the songs to the end of the current playlist.

It seems to me that it simply loses its place in the track/playlist, which is why when the song does start playing again, there are no shuffle and repeat icons showing beneath the title of the song when I get back in, such that when the track does finish, the music just stops. (This behavior has also happened while listening to short songs from my Classic Rock/Blues USB).

I'm not sure then. It may come down to a combination of the fact that clearly Model S is forgetting the play/pause state and the track location state on wake combined with some oddity with how it deals with creating the virtual play list in the first place (in my example, all my tracks are in a single folder on the USB, sorted by album. In your case I am guessing that all your Rachmaninoff is not in the same folder and that could explain the difference.)

Either way, I hope they get this corrected soon!

I got it as well, since the last update I guess (Hong Kong RHD version, always lagging a bit behind the rest of the world in updates as our cars are crippled with no web browser and so on).

I thought I was being forgetful, but it keeps coming back. "Didn't I switch it on while I parked the car, why is it on now?"

Happy I am not losing my mind, having confirmed it's a bug. Or a feature, depending on you look at it.

Another thing is that when I come back, it's playing a different piece than when I left it, and it's a minute or so inside that song.

For reference, this happens when I am using USB to play music. Maybe I should try radio, internet radio and so on, see what it does.

I'm not sure then. It may come down to a combination of the fact that clearly Model S is forgetting the play/pause state and the track location state on wake combined with some oddity with how it deals with creating the virtual play list in the first place (in my example, all my tracks are in a single folder on the USB, sorted by album. In your case I am guessing that all your Rachmaninoff is not in the same folder and that could explain the difference.)

Either way, I hope they get this corrected soon!

I've got some more data points here. If you have set the Display settings under "controls" to "always on" I think what happens is that the media player remembers its position in the song/playlist BUT it wakes up and plays as the car is charging at night. I discovered this by examining my "recently played" folder for two consecutive days after switching to "always on" and discovered that a number of tracks had played overnight, where a larger number of tracks played during the first night where I had more to recharge (about 4 hours worth) than the second night (maybe an hour and a half).

Conversely, if the display settings are set to conserve energy instead of being always on, it does not seem that the media player plays while charging, but shuts down. However, there appears to be a short time trigger for shutting down, and when it does, it loses its position in the track. When the system wakes up, it starts playing from the beginning, losing the playlist and therefore not showing any repeat or shuffle icons beneath the song - simply stopping the music after the track replays from the beginning after you re-enter the car.

I never had the issue with USB media in my car, only TuneIn. I had a loaner all week (just swapped back for mine about 30 minutes ago) and it did have the problem. I finally realized this evening that the loaner has energy saving enabled, while mine doesn't.
If I were to guess, I'd say it has something to do with the pause state not being restored during wake-up when it's getting everything up and displayed quickly for the occupant. When it transitions from night sleep to day standby, it evidently does restore the pause state.

Alright, I've had 6.2 on my car for a few days now and can confirm it's worse. When I open the door in the morning, USB media immediately starts playing a few episodes/hours ahead of where I left off. When I leave work in the evening, it is paused where I left it.
The regression happened somewhere between 2.2.115 and 2.5.21.
I kind of want 6.1 back because now I'm a bit inconvenienced and the new 6.2 features aren't really useful to me yet. Of course, realistically, I can't roll back, so it would need to be fixed in 6.2.

Service updated my car to 2.9.12 on December 8th and I could swear I tested and found that the issue remained once I got my car back. On Wednesday, I forgot to switch the media source when I got home, and in the morning I found that it was paused where I left it. It has been behaving ever since. Is anyone else seeing the bug fixed?

I think I figured it out. A few days ago, around Thursday, I noticed that the Inactivity Mode in VT was set to Stay Awake. I don't know when or how it was changed to that and last I remember a few months ago, it was set to Allow Sleeping. I closed VT on Friday night to free some system resources and, because I remembered the option and wanted to see if that was why the problem disappeared, I left it closed all night. I didn't get in my car all day Saturday, but I did this morning, and it was playing very far ahead of where I left it. So, it appears VT's Stay Awake option is the workaround. Since I knew that the issue was caused by the car sleeping, it shouldn't have taken me so long to think of using VT to force the car to stay awake.

Hello- does anyone know if Tesla has fixed this bug yet? It is quite annoying. There have been at least 4-5 updates since this bug was first identified. I know about the fix to turn the volume knob down, but it is not an optimal solution.

I've been so annoyed by autoplay I called Tesla, thinking this can't seriously be impossible to turn off. Surely, it's a misunderstanding. Years can't have gone by with such a stupid feature in place. Well, the advice Tesla gave me was: lower volume to zero upon exiting the car. Seriously? So my phone in my pocket starts to stream via BT, draining my battery, unless I take action every time I get into the car? Ridiculous.

Reactions: Boatguy and jgs