Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Preventing audio auto-play

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I mention that Tesla STILL hasn't implemented gapless playback (go smoothly from one track to the next), which has been a standard feature since the days of 78s and is implemented in all competent music players?

Tesla: Just license one of the skinnable free music players for Linux which does have gapless playback, like Audacious. If you *comply with the license* it'll be the easiest thing in the world to do.

They really do seem to not be bothering to make a functioning media player. The tape decks in cars from the 1980s worked better.

Took delivery of a MX last week, and I was wondering what the heck is up with music playing from my iPhone every time I step into the car. Really, really annoying. It's driving me crazy.

This exactly. I got my Model X one week after you did, and I can't stand how the car automatically connects to my phone's music whenever the car turns on. Is there any way of fixing this? I'd be happy with a USB autoplay capability like the majority of the cars out there in the road.

This exactly. I got my Model X one week after you did, and I can't stand how the car automatically connects to my phone's music whenever the car turns on. Is there any way of fixing this? I'd be happy with a USB autoplay capability like the majority of the cars out there in the road.
There is no fix except lowering or muting the volume. You should make a request at Tesla for an option to disable this. I did.

My X started to do this recently. My S has always been fine. It (almost) always play the same USB song as when I left the car. Not sure why they can be different. Every setting in two cars I believe is the same.

Last edited:
Did some search it seems to be an iPhone problem. I'm going to explore a little bit of settings of my and wife's iPhone. Maybe the problem is not the X but her iPhone.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2815819?start=15&tstart=0
I don't think so. My car plays from an SSD and starts as soon as I open the door. It will also start from my phone if that was the last source. So I think it just starts from the last source if that source is available.

I don't think so. My car plays from an SSD and starts as soon as I open the door. It will also start from my phone if that was the last source. So I think it just starts from the last source if that source is available.

The same with me. Open the door and you are serenaded with beautiful music. from my USB SSD....;)

It's not consistent. My S is fine but my X has the problem. All I am saying is blame your iPhone not Tesla if you have the problem. BTW what phones you guys are using?

I have two: An iPhone 7 and a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Both pair well and seem to work well with my Model S. I

interestingly enough I just went out to the car and opened the door NO MUSIC.... but I didn't have my iPhone on me. I did have the Galaxy though. Now I am going out to the car with only the iPhone and see what happens.

Intermission.....

Bingo! No music with the Samsung/Android phone, but music with the iPhone! Not very scientific, but an indication (maybe since I didn't really control all the variables).

Your thoughts?

I have two: An iPhone 7 and a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Both pair well and seem to work well with my Model S. I

interestingly enough I just went out to the car and opened the door NO MUSIC.... but I didn't have my iPhone on me. I did have the Galaxy though. Now I am going out to the car with only the iPhone and see what happens.

Intermission.....

Bingo! No music with the Samsung/Android phone, but music with the iPhone! Not very scientific, but an indication (maybe since I didn't really control all the variables).

Your thoughts?
It plays you SSD when you open the door, but only when you have the iPhone in your pocket? OK, that's weird.

FWIW, I also have an iPhone. OK, I gotta go test this.

Intermission...

I don't know what my car was playing last, but when I opened the door, iPhone in my pocket, I got no music and iPhone was selected. I hit play and it played from my phone (it pairs very fast!). Then I switched to USB/SSD, started up the music, closed the door and walked back into the house and for good measure hit the door lock. I went back to the car, handles auto presented, opened the door, and NO music played.

Entirely inconclusive. Sorry.

It plays you SSD when you open the door, but only when you have the iPhone in your pocket? OK, that's weird.

FWIW, I also have an iPhone. OK, I gotta go test this.

Intermission...

I don't know what my car was playing last, but when I opened the door, iPhone in my pocket, I got no music and iPhone was selected. I hit play and it played from my phone (it pairs very fast!). Then I switched to USB/SSD, started up the music, closed the door and walked back into the house and for good measure hit the door lock. I went back to the car, handles auto presented, opened the door, and NO music played.

Entirely inconclusive. Sorry.

Oh well..... After thinking about it, I don't think the phone is the problem either. Maybe someone should outright ask Tesla if this is a "feature" (to have your music turn on as you open the door) or not? Many have speculated such.