Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Upgrades Package (PUP)

Premium Upgrades Package?

• Yes

Votes: 236 90.4%
  • No

Votes: 25 9.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mod Y Guy

Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2017
California
What are the thoughts out there about the PUP option at $5,000? I believe location might have a lot to do with this decision (I'm in Southern CA) but there's really only two things that stand out to me. First, is the tinted glass roof. Second, is the premium audio system. I think the other options I could live without (maybe even the better sound). I just don't want to be missing out on the glass roof but I'm unsure if that's worth five large. I do plan on buying the car, and will upgrade the wheels and change paint from the standard black. The difference in my monthly payment would be roughly $75 a month (not the biggest factor). I'm leaning towards opting for the PUP but would love to hear what others think. Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: TEG and Lunarx
I'm really undecided. I will have to see in person the "with" and "without" versions to determine whether it's worth it. I hope I get that opportunity before it's time for me to buy (May - July 2018).

Another thing to consider is that if the premium package is going to mean delaying my car delivery until after June, it will probably mean losing $3750 of tax refund, making it effectively cost that much more. Does anybody know whether Premium Package has any influence on delivery date?

I'm also thinking that I might only keep this car for 3 years, then trade up to a model Y. So maybe I should keep it as cheap as possible to minimize depreciation losses.

On the other hand, I can't really do without the premium sound. It's on my "must have" list for any car.

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: Pkmmte and Lunarx
I'd prefer to have "leather", but no ventilated/AC seats makes that less important to me.

I think the glass roof would be cool and I'd probably purchase that as a separate $1k option if offered.

I typically like wood trim (dependent on the type of wood/grain) in cars, but think I'd be able to manage without. The current trim offering isn't must have imo.

Nothing else in the premium package is at all important to me. There's also no hepa filter, right?

I'm leaning towards passing right now. Perhaps by the time my reservation comes up they'll have added features and i may reconsider.

Battery size - which wasn't previously on my list of goodies has replaced the premium package in terms of want/importance - now that the max range is a little more than i was expecting and the min range is a little less than i was hoping.

I'd also probably rather spend $5k on autopilot than the premium package right now. But I'm sure I'm going to change my mind on what options i want nearly every day between now and my order date. So who knows.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Timo and Lunarx
For me the all glass roof is a must, it's just too beautiful. I also want the vegan leather seats as I'm not keen on fabric seats. Upgraded sound on its own I could probably do without. So I'll likely stump up for the package.

I'm floundering a bit as $5k seems excessive for what is offered. The only thing I really care about is the glass roof like most. I'll need to compare the trim and seats vs the standard but I feel like it won't make much of a difference.

For now at least, I'm a yes.

Nearly every piece of the PUP appeals to me so I'm going for it without question.
Rear USB: Kid requirement these days.
Memory seats: My wife and I are always battling for seat placement.
Glass roof: If you've seen a model S with and without one, you'll know how nice this is. Plus resale will be better with glass roof.
Sound I don't really care about, but may if FSD ever actually gets implemented.
Center console / phone charging. Needless to say, this'll be nice to have.
Overall, I wish it was cheaper, but I'm absolutely going for it.

I'm really undecided. I will have to see in person the "with" and "without" versions to determine whether it's worth it. I hope I get that opportunity before it's time for me to buy (May - July 2018).

Another thing to consider is that if the premium package is going to mean delaying my car delivery until after June, it will probably mean losing $3750 of tax refund, making it effectively cost that much more. Does anybody know whether Premium Package has any influence on delivery date?

I'm also thinking that I might only keep this car for 3 years, then trade up to a model Y. So maybe I should keep it as cheap as possible to minimize depreciation losses.

On the other hand, I can't really do without the premium sound. It's on my "must have" list for any car.

Early cars will require the premium package. (and long range battery) Not sure what the plan is after the initial lot.
Personally I think it sounds like a good deal for $5K. You get quite a lot that you don't get in the base.

I like the following features that are listed as only coming with the PUP:

Glass roof,
Power seats w/ driver profiles
Premium seating surfaces
Wood trim - we don't know what the base trim is going to look like.
Folding mirrors
Rear seat armrest with cupholders
Homelink
2 years data connectivity included

I don't care that much about upgraded sound, but I'll take it.

I suppose it would be nice if you could order some of these options a la carte, but I think its a good value for everything included.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Rear seat armrest with cupholders

The PUP gets you a center console, and doesn't mention the rear seat armest, which I presume is standard. I see the PUP as getting the driver an armest, which is one reason I'm getting it.
  • Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones
The rest of the list from the press kit

• Upgraded interior with additional features and premium materials.
  • Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
  • 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
  • Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
  • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • LED fog lamps

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
The PUP gets you a center console, and doesn't mention the rear seat armest, which I presume is standard. I see the PUP as getting the driver an armest, which is one reason I'm getting it.
  • Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones
The rest of the list from the press kit

• Upgraded interior with additional features and premium materials.
  • Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
  • 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
  • Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
  • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • LED fog lamps
Check out the sticky Model 3 Specs thread.

There is a screen shot from somewhere that shows additional details of the PUP such as the rear seat armrest, homelink, ambient interior lighting, etc..(I was assuming it was from the configuator available to early orders, but perhaps somewhere else. I can't directly confirm its authenticity)

The big question for me is if the glass roof is only included in the PUP. If so, I may be forced to get it. Not because I like the glass roof, but I worry it will be like the MS where there is no way to put a rack on without the glass roof.

I didn't realize this when I bought my MS. I didn't care for sunroof (I really like my all black alcantara roof instead). Only problem was after I purchased and wanted to put racks on, I realized, you can't...only the glass roof has the mounting points to allow for racks.

So if the glass roof models are the only ones that allow racks, I may be forced to get that...along with PUP if that's the only way to get the glass roof.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. You all bring up some great points! And the poll pretty much sums up what people are thinking! The resale value possibly being higher due to the all glass roof, and really being higher for having the PUP in general, is another selling point to for me. Consider me pulling the trigger! Now, I just want to get that email to configure already... probably not until March for me though. Ugh.

There is a screen shot from somewhere that shows additional details of the PUP such as the rear seat armrest, homelink, ambient interior lighting, etc..(I was assuming it was from the configuator available to early orders, but perhaps somewhere else. I can't directly confirm its authenticity)
Homelink? I thought there was no evidence of this and no confirmation.... The PUP description says 'covered console', and the base car gets the plain console. We are going to have tons of questions until we actually see a base (no PUP) car, unfortunately...

Reminds me of early Model S days where you had to buy the "Tech Package" which was sort of ridiculous that a car this technologically advanced didn't have that included. Of course, ultimately it was rolled into the base price as standard. I expect some of these features will become standard on Model 3 as well.

Reminds me of early Model S days where you had to buy the "Tech Package" which was sort of ridiculous that a car this technologically advanced didn't have that included. Of course, ultimately it was rolled into the base price as standard. I expect some of these features will become standard on Model 3 as well.

I wonder if it will ever become standard considering Tesla wants to differentiate between the S and increase margins on a mass-market car. If it does end up becoming standard, I guess we're paying an early adopter fee.

I've done fine driving my 1999 Mercedes ML 430 so this is already a HUGE upgrade for me. My car has no nav system, no Bluetooth, and much more .. but I do concede that it has power adjustable seats and heated seats.

I currently drive a 2007 Toyota Tundra, cloth seats no bells and whistles by today's standards so I could live without it, but want the longer range car and want it as soon as possible. So I will end up getting PUP and Auto-pilot. Plan was to stay around 45-50k. Just don't see away to that with what I want. Hoping tax credit is still around when I get mine and then offsets some of the extra cost.

Does anyone have the image showing "Rear seat armrest with cupholders, Homelink, 2 years data connectivity included"? I can't find that information anywhere. This thread is the first place I have seen those listed as features of the PUP?

• Disagree
Reactions: PRSIST