Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Power Trunk Retrofit on Model 3s now Available Direct from Tesla [09.14.2023 - 2018 model 3 not eligible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I'd swap my auto trunk lifter I think, even though I would miss the foot sensor.

As you say the OEM kit has the benefit of being warrantied in its own right (perhaps only for a year if your car is otherwise outside warranty, but even so), the car will be programmed to be cognisant of it - so no more "fudging" the CAN signal to read the brake pedal status to enable a close option, it will sleep when the car does, it'll work during Lightshow (if that's your bag), etc, etc.

It's a no-brainer in my opinion even though I'm perfectly happy with my EVOffer trunk kit.

To each his own I suppose.

I love my 3rd party (hansshow $399)- revision 9000 trunk opener better than the Model Y's OEM and it has survived 3 years of software updates with no problems. It works when the car is sleep and wakes it up with the foot sensor. My brothers Model Y doesn't do that for some strange reason. Imagine walking out to your Tesla in the rain with a bag of groceries and the foot sensor doesn't work. Maybe his is defective, but mine isn't

For one - there are 2 different connectors for the year 2018. Inside of that there are 2 different pinouts for each connector.

I've been through this process with 3rd party accessories. Thats why they often ask me for my VIN number. The VIN number easily provides knowledgeable CAN bus connector vendors to the correct one.

Now - why doesn't Tesla have all 4 connector options available and ready to go? Beats me.
This retrofit was carried over from the one from China and if I remember correctly, the Model 3 there launched in 2019 after the harness was already changed. So most likely they simply never developed it for the 2018 cars for that reason. That said, they should have figured it out before launching (same deal with the product picture by their web team).

Reactions: gtgarner
Its not a "warranty" thing for me any longer, since my car is also outside of the 4 year 50k warranty (although I still have the battery warranty). For me, Teslas are uniquely positioned "against" aftermarket stuff like this, Since Tesla changes stuff all the time and the only thing they have a duty to make sure works are OEM setups.

I get why other people do aftermarket for stuff like this, but I would rather have OEM or not do it at all. I am not judging people who do aftermarket at all, but it just isnt for me for this kind of thing.

Yep I understand,

The main reason I went 3rd party is mainly because Tesla didn't offer it. Simple.

Where is Tesla's powered frunk opener? <------ see what I mean?
Where is Tesla's self presenting door kit for anything other than the X? <------ see what I mean?

O well - No one has to see what I mean. It's just a fact. It wasn't there from Tesla, so I got it elsewhere and so far - so good.

Yep I understand,

The main reason I went 3rd party is mainly because Tesla didn't offer it. Simple.

Where is Tesla's powered frunk opener? <------ see what I mean?
Where is Tesla's self presenting door kit for anything other than the X? <------ see what I mean?

O well - No one has to see what I mean. It's just a fact. It wasn't there from Tesla, so I got it elsewhere and so far - so good.

Like I said, I understand why people do aftermarket for this type of thing, but it absolutely is not for me. There is no chance I would ever get an aftermarket powered frunk, and I wouldnt even do self presenting door handles as a retrofit if it was offered OEM.

Different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: gtgarner

I love my 3rd party (hansshow $399)- revision 9000 trunk opener better than the Model Y's OEM and it has survived 3 years of software updates with no problems. It works when the car is sleep and wakes it up with the foot sensor. My brothers Model Y doesn't do that for some strange reason. Imagine walking out to your Tesla in the rain with a bag of groceries and the foot sensor doesn't work. Maybe his is defective, but mine isn't

Off topic but assuming you mean your brother's Model Y with an aftermarket auto trunk kit + kick sensor doesn't work, it could be because yours is wired to VCRIGHT or VCLEFT - which is a permanent live (9v when the car is sleeping, but its enough), and your brother's one is connected to the penthouse 12v under the rear seats.

Although it seems counter-intuitive, this 12v connection switches off when the car falls asleep (the "thunk" you hear when the contactors go). No power = no foot sensor.

The reason I know this is because an installer wired my EVOffer auto trunk kit to this location, instead of VCRIGHT where it is recommended to go on RHD cars, and my foot sensor stops working when the car is asleep.

Reactions: Nightdown_fox
Off topic but assuming you mean your brother's Model Y with a kick sensor (i.e. aftermarket kit) doesn't work, it could be because yours is wired to VCRIGHT or VCLEFT - which is a permanent live (9v when the car is sleeping, but its enough), and your brother's one is connected to the penthouse 12v under the rear seats.

Although it seems counter-intuitive, this 12v connection switches off when the car falls asleep (the "thunk" you hear when the contactors go). No power = no foot sensor.

The reason I know this is because an installer wired my EVOffer auto trunk kit to this location, instead of VCRIGHT where it is recommended to go on RHD cars, and my foot sensor stops working when the car is asleep.

No. OEM model y vs. my aftermarket p3d kick sensor wired to the battery

I can't think what else would be incompatible between 2018 and 2019/2020 cars other than the change in the CANBUS connector from white to blue (with pinout changes). I'm pretty sure I've read people doing console swaps that have either bought or made an adapter for this.

Normally this adapter would convert the white to the blue one, for when one wants to do a Console 2.0 retrofit, but I can't see any reason one couldn't knock up something similar to the attached cable, albeit with the blue female CANBUS connector on the end.

Of course you have the problem of "computer says no" with Tesla service centres.. but that might notbe insurmountable.
So the trunk gateway configuration is one of the few things you actually can change with the consumer facing version of toolbox. So even if the service center won't install it, if you can manage to get the parts and run the wiring yourself, you could probably get it to work.

Based on the below, I think you'd need to set it to HUADE_REV1
Code:
{"accessId":99,"codeKey":"powerLiftgateType","content":
{"enums":
[{"codeKey":"NOT_INSTALLED","description":"Manual liftgate installed","value":0},
{"codeKey":"TESLA_REV1","description":"Powered liftgate installed","value":1},
{"codeKey":"HUADE_REV1","description":"Discrete Huade power liftgate ECU retrofitted","products":["Model3"],"value":2}]},"
description":"Type of power liftgate hardware installed","products":["Model3","ModelY"]}

I'm in the same boat as the rest of the 2018 folks and wanted to share my experience just now.

I ordered the retrofit kit via the mobile app back when it first dropped and made an appointment at the Service Center for Sunday morning. They kept the car through Monday evening at which time the advisor reached out and said they needed more time due to parts mismatch.

Around the same time I got the automated refund and cancellation email from Tesla Shop, so I started digging around here and reddit and found the disappointing news.

Then this afternoon I got a call from the advisor who confirmed that they couldn't install the kit at this time and to come pick up my car.

I made my way over to the SC and asked the technician and he mentioned what the other folks have been saying here -- there is a mismatch between the kit harness and the existing harness under the 2018 center console, and that given the demand Tesla are allegedly reconsidering a 2018-specific harness (but no timeline, and no promises at this time).

Having said that, the 2018 folks who had their orders canceled are being kept on a list for future notification if/when the new harness is ready.

I suspect if you have a friend at the SC you might be able to get pictures of the retrofit kit pieces though. I would LOVE to get a peek at the harness to see which pins are populated.....

In the end, the SC ended up updating my car's software (I had purposely put it off for over a year to avoid losing radar and being forced to use auto-high beams), which would have been an acceptable compromise if the trunk retrofit had been successfully installed, but as of now I have neither. Boo.

I just noticed that Tesla created a new product page with the retrofit button:

The old url (with product images from 2021+ trunk) is now 404:
Looks like they finally corrected the things that people mentioned upthread on the page at least. That should have been how it was launched, but I guess it's not too late while hopefully not too many 2018 owners were misled or inconvenienced.

Reactions: Jedi2155