Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible air suspension height settings issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm with those who have never seen the car lower on it's own, and after driving the roadster I also never drive over those parking bumpers. FWIW I'm also certain from that other thread that there are different heights in different places, for a while I kept checking how high they were relative to my Model S, I never found any locally that would have been high enough to cause concern unless my car dropped to the "low" setting.

Mod afterthought: This is the same subject, I'll merge the threads.

I have had my MS @ the Seattle service center for over a month for them to fix my front bumper which was torn off by a concrete tire stop which had steel re-bar protruding about 2” above the concrete. I told them that it appeared as-if my car settled down on top of the re-bar after I pulled in. Service rep said that the car should maintain its level and said that he would check mine to make sure it has no leaks. This sounds like the service rep does not know about this “auto-lower” function. At what SW revision did the behavior change? Has anyone got an answer from Tesla re: whether we can change the default “lowering” to a default of our choice. I am tall and would definitely like the car raised for exit. As for the exposed open wheel well, I can live with that.

Accident description w/photos (see post #69):

Had an Accident.... (Collision work for Model S) - Page 7

This sounds like the service rep does not know about this “auto-lower” function. At what SW revision did the behavior change? Has anyone got an answer from Tesla re: whether we can change the default “lowering” to a default of our choice. I am tall and would definitely like the car raised for exit.
As far as I know, the Model S doesn't "auto-lower". Every time I have left my car parked in High or Very High, I've returned to find it in that state -- at least nominally. I have not measured whether the actual height has settled. It wouldn't surprise me, though, to learn that the suspension would lower a few millimeters as the ambient air temperature falls, which may have been enough to drop the car onto the rebar. Or, you may have driven over the rebar without realizing it going into the spot, which wouldn't have had much effect.