Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible air suspension height settings issue

Sig S#118; R#770 (ret.) stevezzzz's Avatar

Possible air suspension height settings issue

I got an unpleasant surprise in my S last evening when I backed out of my parking space at a local restaurant and the nose of the car literally fell off the parking bumper, leaving some unwanted (and I think undeserved) scrapes on the bottom of the front air dam. I was the sole occupant of the car the whole time; since I didn't touch anything nosing into the parking spot, I'm left to conclude that the air suspension lowered the nose of the car while I was eating dinner. [You may take any jokes about the size of my dinner entree and stuff 'em.]

Since the car rides pretty low I've been trying not to run the nose over parking bumpers at all. Judging by the scrapes, in this case the overhang was perhaps three inches and the vertical drop was probably a little less than half an inch.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Do you think that I should have been able to predict this behavior? I thought the whole idea of the air suspension was to maintain a given ride height under different load conditions, dynamically. Does the software change the suspension height setting automatically when the car comes to a complete stop and/or is put into Park? I think if anything it should go from Standard to High, not the other way around.

I guess my takeaways are:

1. The nose of the S is a looong way forward from the driver's position.
    2. I need to add a checklist item to raise the suspension to the highest position before before parking the car in a space with bumpers, and
    3. Verify the suspension height setting before backing out of a parking spot.

I hope that by posting this I may save other owners from a similar 'owee' experience with their beautiful new cars.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    I'm surprised you didn't back into the parking space. When pulling out again, it's so much safer to drive forward because visibility going forward is always better than visibility going backwards.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Thanks for the warning, stevezzzz. I am surprised that you cannot simply program the S to go to "Very High" once the speed drops under 10MPH (or 15, or 20, etc). That would presumably give the best all-around protection for curbs, parking strips, speed bumps, and driveway angles.
    Model X P6028 / Model S P4996 - 85kWh, Sequoia Green, Pano Roof, 19" Wheels, Tan Leather, Obeche Gloss, Tech, Sound, Air Susp, Jump Seats, Shelf, Xpel Wrap, Twin Chargers and HPWC - Delivered and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't back into the parking space. When pulling out again, it's so much safer to drive forward because visibility going forward is always better than visibility going backwards.
    It works both ways: do you want better visibility going forward into the space, or backing out of the space? I often back into parking spots when other factors don't favor nosing in: circumstances dictate. In this case it was a late dinner and I parked on the shopping mall side of a barrier strip, after shopping hours; there was no one on either side of me and no reason to suspect there would be an hour later.

But that's a different thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JakeP View Post
    Thanks for the warning, stevezzzz. I am surprised that you cannot simply program the S to go to "Very High" once the speed drops under 10MPH (or 15, or 20, etc). That would presumably give the best all-around protection for curbs, parking strips, speed bumps, and driveway angles.
    I wish I'd had the presence of mind to check the suspension height setting after I scraped; mostly, I was just pissed off. As far as I know, the suspension goes to the High setting below some threshold speed but never goes to Very High unless the driver selects that setting from the touch screen. And I have a hard time believing the software would be designed to lower the suspension while parked, so I'm betting either that it wasn't commanded by the software, or if it was it's because of a software error.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevezzzz View Post
    It works both ways: do you want better visibility going forward into the space, or backing out of the space?
    You always have a better view of the parking space when you approach it (before backing in) because you're looking out the front.

Quote Originally Posted by stevezzzz View Post
    I wish I'd had the presence of mind to check the suspension height setting after I scraped; mostly, I was just pissed off. As far as I know, the suspension goes to the High setting below some threshold speed but never goes to Very High unless the driver selects that setting from the touch screen. And I have a hard time believing the software would be designed to lower the suspension while parked, so I'm betting either that it wasn't commanded by the software, or if it was it's because of a software error.
    It could also be because the suspension settles when parked. No software involved. That's how the DS-21 worked. When you started the car up after being parked for a few hours you could feel it go into "hover mode". I don't know if the Model S does this or not, and it might be very gentle so it's hard to feel.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

I always back into spaces simply due to having a camera. I thought the s lowers to let people out of the car when parked, maybe that's why? I'd rather it always stay in high when parked and low speeds because it should assume I'm parking or moving around hills/bumps. At the very least it should stay in high after parking in high and getting back in.

Could someone verify what actually happens when you park in high. Does it revert when you get out and get back in?
    P427 Performance White/Tan

Model S Sig Perf, VIN 586
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeP View Post
    I advocated for this even last year -- have the suspension just go to a high position when parked or low speed. Advantages: easier ingress/egress of passengers and overall curb avoidance. Disadvantages: It'll make stoplights and stopsigns awkward.

Ok, dumb idea. .... If manually adjusted it should stick until back up to speed like Stevezzzz suggested.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Slightly OT, and it might be covered elsewhere, but whats the delta between highest and lowest suspension settings?

And the stoplight issue wouldn't even be bad, depending on the speed it needs to achieve before lowering. I wonder if there is a power-consumption concern against this behavior?
    Model X P6028 / Model S P4996 - 85kWh, Sequoia Green, Pano Roof, 19" Wheels, Tan Leather, Obeche Gloss, Tech, Sound, Air Susp, Jump Seats, Shelf, Xpel Wrap, Twin Chargers and HPWC - Delivered and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    It could also be because the suspension settles when parked. No software involved. That's how the DS-21 worked. When you started the car up after being parked for a few hours you could feel it go into "hover mode". I don't know if the Model S does this or not, and it might be very gentle so it's hard to feel.
    If that's the way the S works, too, then if I had waited a few seconds longer (the suspension's height adjustments are subtle and quite slow) the car might have jacked itself back up and I'd have gotten by this time without a scrape. But if the suspension may lower the car's clearance after you park it, that's definitely something owners ought to be warned about during their delivery walkthrough.

Thread Information