Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does always leaving air suspension on Low setting cause any issues with the suspension sub-frame?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2015 Model S P85 three months ago with 90k km and last week the rear suspension subframe cracked/broke off. The mechanic asked whether I hit something or got hit but neither have happened recently nor in the entirety of the car's lifespan so I'm wondering whether this issue could have been caused by my always keeping the low setting on the air suspension height.

3dc998bf-168e-405d-99f8-36d321d8b60d.JPG

I think a lower setting would cause more stress, but not enough to break off a piece of subframe. I seem to remember at least one other post about the subframe being broken off, and the lists of Similar Threads below my reply indicate this is not unusual for a Tesla. I have never heard of a car subframe breaking off unless involved in a non-minor collision. I think Tesla has a problem with the strength of their frames.

I purchased a 2015 Model S P85 three months ago with 90k km and last week the rear suspension subframe cracked/broke off. The mechanic asked whether I hit something or got hit but neither have happened recently nor in the entirety of the car's lifespan so I'm wondering whether this issue could have been caused by my always keeping the low setting on the air suspension height.

View attachment 1003674
I’ve been driving in Low for 9 years.

Zero issues up until the latest software update. Now the car won’t go into Low.

FYI, the suspension was designed to be lower than that low, but after people hitting road debris and damaging the battery, Tesla set each setting to be something like 3/4” higher. The 2015 Low is equivalent to what used to be called Medium.

I rode low for 7 years in my prior MS. I noticed 2 things: 1. Uneven inner tire wear and 2. A front end 'popping' noise when I backed out of my garage every morning and cranked the wheel to exit my driveway (didn't happen in normal height mode).

Nothing broken though.

Zero issues up until the latest software update. Now the car won’t go into Low.

It's s bug that's already fixed in 2024.8.9, there's a thread about it: