Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche 911 out - Tesla Model S in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok. So I need some real impartial advice here. Have too many cars. Model X coming home next week. Need to make a final decision on a P85D by this Monday! The big question - will I miss my 911 S cab if I replace it with a model s. Currently have the MS for a weekend test drive and I am very mixed in my opinion. So, it really is an amazing car. However, it's very different from a 911. It feels way bigger and doesn't have that amazing connection to the road that a much smaller Porsche has. I feel like both along with the MX is overkill and a waste of money. Opinions? Would I be making a mistake by selling the 911?

Why decide now? Wait until after you've got the S.

The MS is a big car, there's no question. It's nearly perfect as an "everything" car but it's not going to be a 911 for the things that a 911 does best. That said, it'll outperform the 911 in many other categories. Only you can decide, so I really just suggest you wait. There's no rush, is there?

The rush is I have to make a decision on the MS by Monday and worry that if it isn't big enough for my wife, I then need to buy her another suv and the MS defaults back to me. I don't want to pay 100k for a car that just sits there and losses value.

Sorry, I understood that you were getting it and the question was more about whether you should sell the 911. In that case, I'm not sure what to tell you. The MS is a vastly more practical car, and it's plenty of fun. If you're the kind of person who enjoys that, then I think you'll be more than satisfied. However, you'd hate to get into it and realize you're driving a sedan when you really want a sport coupe.

As a MS owner and EV enthusiast, I say ditch the ICE and go full electric - but I realize it's not so simple.

Ok. So I need some real impartial advice here. Have too many cars. Model X coming home next week. Need to make a final decision on a P85D by this Monday! The big question - will I miss my 911 S cab if I replace it with a model s. Currently have the MS for a weekend test drive and I am very mixed in my opinion. So, it really is an amazing car. However, it's very different from a 911. It feels way bigger and doesn't have that amazing connection to the road that a much smaller Porsche has. I feel like both along with the MX is overkill and a waste of money. Opinions? Would I be making a mistake by selling the 911?

I can share my experience with you as I faced a similar automotive dilemma last year.
Both cars are unique and have enthusiastic user groups to put it mildly ... PCA and TMC.
In the final analysis, I decided to keep both the Porsche and Tesla without thinning the herd.
Now, I can enjoy track days in the 911 and the daily commute and long trips in the Model S.
The Tesla gets charged every night and the Porsche remains on the CTEK charger until the weekend arrives... :cool:

Ex Porsche guy here. I do miss the "cab" part, but not the Porsche part. The P(85,90)D has plenty to offer for spirited driving. It's not a track car, so if that's a priority you may want to keep both, otherwise sell the 911.

You should go to Rennlist or 6speedonline and post the same question for more "impartial" opionions. ;)

Do yo put the top down on the 911? If yes, you have your answer.
Do you REALLY enjoy driving the Porsche, or is it just the name and status you like and you just drive it like any other car? If it's the later, the MS will likely be fine.

The real issue is why you got a loaded Model X for yourself when you have a 911 that you already seem to enjoy- while the Model X would really fill your wife's vehicle needs??

I love Porsche. I think they build awesome cars when their parent company isn't cheating to destroy the environment. I have owned many variants. 997S, 997TT, 997GT3 and 996GT3. And also a Cayman S. In my my first detailed post about the P85D I said I wanted to pair it up with a GT3 (Week One Observations - Nashville P85D).

After six months with the Tesla, I can tell you that every time I see a 911 I think to myself "That's beautiful, I miss owning one." and then about a millisecond later "But when would I drive it? That would mean not driving the P85D." As wonderful as Porsche is, the experience of driving electric is just so superior to ICE. Until BMW or Porsche makes a competing product I am "stuck" driving Tesla.

Ok, so were I you I would hold off passing the 911 on until you drive the S for a while.
I am certainly going to keep my Cobra when the S comes in.
Two very different cars.
I suspect you will really miss the 911 but will have mixed emotions to some extent, especially if you REALLY DRIVE the 911 as it was intended.

I'm not a track guy (who has time?). And I realized I'm not really a sun guy, so the cab is pretty much out of my system. I have owned a bunch of high end cars (lambo, Bentley, AMGs), so the "Porsche" label doesn't mean anything to me. But how Porsche makes their cars to make you feel "one" with the road is truly amazing. So far, it's been my favorite daily driver. But with the X coming this week, and it seems so cool, I'm trying to figure out when I would actually drive the 911. Btw, I saw the ass of my X yesterday at the SC. Looked super badass in person. First time seeing it. Wasn't allowed to come near it though. In terms of cool and wow factor, I'm not sure what tops it. Even my wife, who has absolutely zero interest in cars, had a little smile on her face and that "I'm too cool to show it, but f**k, that is one sick car!" look.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so were I you I would hold off passing the 911 on until you drive the S for a while.
I am certainly going to keep my Cobra when the S comes in.
Two very different cars.
I suspect you will really miss the 911 but will have mixed emotions to some extent, especially if you REALLY DRIVE the 911 as it was intended.

in theory, I'm not really supposed to drive the MS at all. It's meant for my wife. I'm taking the MX because it's ridiculously cool and I'm selfish like that. So it's really hard to decide what to do, especially since I've never even sat in an MX before!

Ex Porsche guy here. I do miss the "cab" part, but not the Porsche part. The P(85,90)D has plenty to offer for spirited driving. It's not a track car, so if that's a priority you may want to keep both, otherwise sell the 911.

Same exact situation as me. I sold my 911 cab when I bought my 90D last September and couldn't be happier with my decision. I do miss the occasional top down drive but not enough to feel I'm missing anything.

I'm not a track guy (who has time?). And I realized I'm not really a sun guy, so the cab is pretty much out of my system. I have owned a bunch of high end cars (lambo, Bentley, AMGs), so the "Porsche" label doesn't mean anything to me. But how Porsche makes their cars to make you feel "one" with the road is truly amazing. So far, it's been my favorite daily driver. But with the X coming this week, and it seems so cool, I'm trying to figure out when I would actually drive the 911. Btw, I saw the ass of my X yesterday at the SC. Looked super badass in person. First time seeing it. Wasn't allowed to come near it though. In terms of cool and wow factor, I'm not sure what tops it. Even my wife, who has absolutely zero interest in cars, had a little smile on her face and that "I'm too cool to show it, but f**k, that is one sick car!" look.

- - - Updated - - -

in theory, I'm not really supposed to drive the MS at all. It's meant for my wife. I'm taking the MX because it's ridiculously cool and I'm selfish like that. So it's really hard to decide what to do, especially since I've never even sat in an MX before!
having X for the wife, keep the 911. Wait until the S refresh come. There should be no hurry.

I have a similar dilemma - I've been thinking about selling the 996GT3 to finance a P90D for a while, but I fear I'll regret the decision later.

I bought the GT3 as a track car, but I haven't been to the track in 4 years, and I think I'm over that phase. Everything that makes it a great track car makes it a not-so-good street car (stiff suspension, heavy clutch, lack of "nanny systems", etc).

Nice to have such problems, I suppose. :wink:

There are very few cars that come even close to the 911 in terms of handling. That being said, I got the p85d after driving them back to back. If I were 20, would have gone with the Porsche. At 50 I appreciate much more the comfort of the model S.