Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: your gut expectations for FSD v9

I feel like the improvement from FSD v8.2 to FSD v9 will be…

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Radical = Obvious, large, qualitative improvement

Incremental = Only a bit better; about what you’d expect from a typical update

Somewhere between = More than a typical update, but not enough improvement to make an obvious, striking contrast between v8.2 and v9

You poll choices are very biased. You only have options for FSD V9 getting better. In the interest of fairness, you should have options for "no change, it will be the same" and "I think it will get worse". That would do a better job of capturing the full spectrum of what people think. As it is now, you will only capture one slanted perspective.

And I voted "Somewhere between". So it is not that I want to vote negative. I do genuinely think FSD Beta V9 will be an improvement. But your poll should be fair. It is not.

We know Tesla is rolling out Tesla Vision which is vision-only. They are also rolling out camera based driver monitoring which is a prerequisite for hands-free. And Tesla is getting ready to release FSD Beta V9 which is vision-only City L2. IMO, all the pieces fit for Tesla to release vision-only hands-free City L2 "soon".

I presume that part is speculative but likely correct. What does that mean for MS/MX cars with FSD? A free interior camera coming down the pike? Or more likely, Tesla will redefine what FSD actually is again and it won't mention "hands free" is only for some cars.

Tesla deploying hands-free AP in the future is speculation. But I think it makes sense given that camera based driver monitoring would allow it. Not to mention that other automakers are deploying hands-free L2 like GM's SuperCruise. So I think there is some pressure on Tesla to do the same. Lastly, a driver facing camera is considered a more effective driver monitoring system than the wheel torque by pretty much all experts. So for all those reasons, I think it makes sense that Tesla will deploy hands-free L2 at some point.

Camera based driver monitoring being a prerequisite for hands-free L2 is not speculation. The only way to do hands-free L2 is to find a way to monitor the driver without them touching the wheel. A driver facing camera is really the only way to do that.

If Tesla does allow hands-free AP, MS and MX cars would not be eligible unless they get an upgrade to a driver facing camera. Tesla would have 2 choices: upgrade MS and MX cars with a driver facing camera or not release hands-free AP to MS and MX cars.

... you should have options for "no change, it will be the same" and "I think it will get worse". That would do a better job of capturing the full spectrum of what people think...

You and I have had lots of (mostly enjoyable) debates over the past, but this is a perfect comment IMO. Doesn't reflect your opinion, but you know full well there are those out there that truly believe whatever "v9" that gets released will be worse.

Personally, I expect incremental improvement, but I'm also experienced enough to know full well there will be regressions in behavior as they test on the real fleet rather than a minuscule portion of users.

CSY8fby.gif