Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in the FSD Beta program since summer of last year, and while I've seen updates with significant improvements, so far my limited experience with 11.4.2 has shown more improvements than I've seen in any prior release.

(As always, YMMV).

We've all developed a feel for what FSD Beta can and can't do. And yes, experiences vary wildly, from "It works well and I use it a lot" to "I've cancelled my FSD subscription". We all have a personal list of situations and edge cases where it doesn't work well, or at all. So when I received the update, I took the car on a route I do frequently: my house to the gym and back. Prior FSD versions have handled this route with varying degrees of success, but the past several versions have demonstrated consistent problems at specific places that 11.4.2 seems to have resolved.

Improvement #1: The car must make two right-hand turns at stop signs to exit the housing division I live in. Visibility to the left is marginal on both turns. Heavy bushes block your view to the left of the first turn, and an uphill crest restricts visibility to the left on the second turn. Previous FSD iterations handled these turns by:

-- Stop well back of stop sign, confusing following drivers
-- Inching forward
-- Inching forward
-- "FSD creeping forward" notice on dash
-- Inching forward (car behind me honks)
-- Sudden, lunging acceleration into the turn.

With 11.4.2, the car pulls confidently up to the stop sign, makes a single, short forward motion to check traffic to the left, and then pulls smoothly and confidently through the turn.

Improvement #2: Lane choices are much better. Going to the gym, the car turns left onto a 3-lane street. In 2.5 blocks it will need to turn left to get onto the highway. With earlier FSD versions, the car would turn into the far left lane, then almost immediately move to the middle or right lane (which lanes seems to depend on traffic). Since traffic tends to back up at the freeway entrance, this often left the car in the wrong lane to get onto the highway, and it would miss the entrance since it couldn't merge into the existing line of cars.

With 11.4.2, the car turns into the left lane and stays there. A similar "wrong lane" situation occurs when I'm returning from the gym, with the car existing the highway to the right and moving into the far left lane when a right turn is coming up in 2 blocks. This also seems to have been resolved.

My experience has been limited so far but it's looking very good. The progress of FSD reminds me of the progress made in speech recognition: I was writing speech recognition software for the Apple ][ computers in the early 80s (yes, I'm that old). At the time you had to train the system on individual words, many repetitions of each word were involved, and the possible vocabulary was very small (10-15 words). Over the years the training sessions became faster and the vocabulary size increased. Sometime in the 90s we hit the point where you could dictate (Dragon Dictate, anyone?) as long as you paused..slightly...between..each..word. And you still had to read a few paragraphs to the computer first.

Now, my iPhone recognizes continuous speech in real time, completely on the device, with no training necessary. This wasn't heralded as a giant breakthrough; speech recognition just got incrementally better over time. FSD seems to be heading along the same path, but MUCH faster. I dunno if Elon will ever achieve L3 or above with the current setup, but 11.4.2 makes me optimistic it will at the least be a very useful feature.

I'm certain there will be people whose experiences are nowhere near as positive as mine. What's your experience with 11.4.x been?
screenshot-www.tesla.com-2023.06.05-18_47_38.png

I had a super scary day with my FSD subscription today. I was on 85 South out of mountain view and just had come off 101N via the normal right exit. I was in the Left lane, which becomes the middle lane.

As highway 85 became 3 lanes, I moved into the fast lane and engaged FSD. After approximately 15 seconds the car attempted to automatically change lanes over the yellow line, and into the concrete divider where it gets wider. I was just briefly looking away from the road so it was extra surprising.

If I had not manually intervened 100% i was driving on the shoulder and headed into the wall.

View attachment 957874

This isn't an edge case, this is core function. I cannot believe we are changing lanes over yellow lines on well marked divided highways in a clear daylight condition.

I canceled my fsd subscription, I may crap a diamond tonight.
I have had my FSDb turned off for well over a week now and my car ('21 MSLR) is going up for sale next week. I have had my FSDb attempt to swerve into a concrete wall. I have had my FSDb take an off-ramp on I-20 at 80mph (75mph speed limit) with an immediate right turn at the end, and never slow down!! It took everything I could to get it back into the roadway. Then the other day it did the same thing on a smaller, two-lane highway, 70mph speed limit, and it tried to turn into a parking lot (we were supposed to be going straight) and it committed to the right turn at 75mph. Then I took it to the Tesla facility in Tyler, Texas to look over everything and they "calibrated the radar" and said that should fix everything. So on the way home I video'd the car pulling into 2 of 3 turn lanes on the left of the highway, at 75mph, then at the end of the turn lane(s) the car would slam on the brakes, activate the right blinker and go ACROSS the #1 lane and straight to the #2 (right hand) lane of the highway, slowing to about 40mph.

I keep hearing all these people on these forums quoting this patently ridiculous, "Well it says "you have to be prepared for anything"" mantra but you can't be prepared 100% of the time for the car to do completely and ridiculously unexpected things. Mine is going up for sale because WHEN someone's FSDb causes a horrific accident, Tesla, Elon and the Tesla Engineers that don't give a damn (because there is no true feedback system) will send their lawyers to court with all the paperwork showing how it's a "beta" system and explain how that driver should have been "prepared for anything" and I don't wanna be that guy. The car WILL be cool and WILL work eventually, but they're a long ways away. A LOT LONGER than Elon professed.

I have had my FSDb turned off for well over a week now and my car ('21 MSLR) is going up for sale next week. I have had my FSDb attempt to swerve into a concrete wall. I have had my FSDb take an off-ramp on I-20 at 80mph (75mph speed limit) with an immediate right turn at the end, and never slow down!! It took everything I could to get it back into the roadway. Then the other day it did the same thing on a smaller, two-lane highway, 70mph speed limit, and it tried to turn into a parking lot (we were supposed to be going straight) and it committed to the right turn at 75mph. Then I took it to the Tesla facility in Tyler, Texas to look over everything and they "calibrated the radar" and said that should fix everything. So on the way home I video'd the car pulling into 2 of 3 turn lanes on the left of the highway, at 75mph, then at the end of the turn lane(s) the car would slam on the brakes, activate the right blinker and go ACROSS the #1 lane and straight to the #2 (right hand) lane of the highway, slowing to about 40mph.

I keep hearing all these people on these forums quoting this patently ridiculous, "Well it says "you have to be prepared for anything"" mantra but you can't be prepared 100% of the time for the car to do completely and ridiculously unexpected things. Mine is going up for sale because WHEN someone's FSDb causes a horrific accident, Tesla, Elon and the Tesla Engineers that don't give a damn (because there is no true feedback system) will send their lawyers to court with all the paperwork showing how it's a "beta" system and explain how that driver should have been "prepared for anything" and I don't wanna be that guy. The car WILL be cool and WILL work eventually, but they're a long ways away. A LOT LONGER than Elon professed.
Please share the videos.