Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in the FSD Beta program since summer of last year, and while I've seen updates with significant improvements, so far my limited experience with 11.4.2 has shown more improvements than I've seen in any prior release.

(As always, YMMV).

We've all developed a feel for what FSD Beta can and can't do. And yes, experiences vary wildly, from "It works well and I use it a lot" to "I've cancelled my FSD subscription". We all have a personal list of situations and edge cases where it doesn't work well, or at all. So when I received the update, I took the car on a route I do frequently: my house to the gym and back. Prior FSD versions have handled this route with varying degrees of success, but the past several versions have demonstrated consistent problems at specific places that 11.4.2 seems to have resolved.

Improvement #1: The car must make two right-hand turns at stop signs to exit the housing division I live in. Visibility to the left is marginal on both turns. Heavy bushes block your view to the left of the first turn, and an uphill crest restricts visibility to the left on the second turn. Previous FSD iterations handled these turns by:

-- Stop well back of stop sign, confusing following drivers
-- Inching forward
-- Inching forward
-- "FSD creeping forward" notice on dash
-- Inching forward (car behind me honks)
-- Sudden, lunging acceleration into the turn.

With 11.4.2, the car pulls confidently up to the stop sign, makes a single, short forward motion to check traffic to the left, and then pulls smoothly and confidently through the turn.

Improvement #2: Lane choices are much better. Going to the gym, the car turns left onto a 3-lane street. In 2.5 blocks it will need to turn left to get onto the highway. With earlier FSD versions, the car would turn into the far left lane, then almost immediately move to the middle or right lane (which lanes seems to depend on traffic). Since traffic tends to back up at the freeway entrance, this often left the car in the wrong lane to get onto the highway, and it would miss the entrance since it couldn't merge into the existing line of cars.

With 11.4.2, the car turns into the left lane and stays there. A similar "wrong lane" situation occurs when I'm returning from the gym, with the car existing the highway to the right and moving into the far left lane when a right turn is coming up in 2 blocks. This also seems to have been resolved.

My experience has been limited so far but it's looking very good. The progress of FSD reminds me of the progress made in speech recognition: I was writing speech recognition software for the Apple ][ computers in the early 80s (yes, I'm that old). At the time you had to train the system on individual words, many repetitions of each word were involved, and the possible vocabulary was very small (10-15 words). Over the years the training sessions became faster and the vocabulary size increased. Sometime in the 90s we hit the point where you could dictate (Dragon Dictate, anyone?) as long as you paused..slightly...between..each..word. And you still had to read a few paragraphs to the computer first.

Now, my iPhone recognizes continuous speech in real time, completely on the device, with no training necessary. This wasn't heralded as a giant breakthrough; speech recognition just got incrementally better over time. FSD seems to be heading along the same path, but MUCH faster. I dunno if Elon will ever achieve L3 or above with the current setup, but 11.4.2 makes me optimistic it will at the least be a very useful feature.

I'm certain there will be people whose experiences are nowhere near as positive as mine. What's your experience with 11.4.x been?
screenshot-www.tesla.com-2023.06.05-18_47_38.png

On 11.4.2 our legacy Model S had an issue where the HVAC temp would only change in increments of 2 degrees with the steering wheel scroll wheel. On 11.4.3 it sometimes works in proper 1 degree increments & sometimes only 2. What’s the situation with 11.4.4? Our car wants to download it, but hasn’t connected to wifi yet to do it. But later tonight it will connect to wifi & be able to download it unless I forget the wifi network.

Got 11.4.4 last night and it's already tried to kill me. It pulls up to a stop sign at a T intersection. With close oncoming traffic from the left, it decides to go for it and I slammed on the brakes. It's possible it was creeping up for a better look, but if so, it was "creeping" so fast as to frighten the oncoming car and would have required a hard stop even more vigorous that I applied.

Further more it has reverted to trying to change lanes right into temporary lanes. The sort of lane where another car making a right turn onto my lane has a dedicated turn lane with a brief extension to the right of my lane. It used to do that all the time, then it stopped, now it's back again.

Reactions: rlsd and DWtsn
On 11.4.2 our legacy Model S had an issue where the HVAC temp would only change in increments of 2 degrees with the steering wheel scroll wheel. On 11.4.3 it sometimes works in proper 1 degree increments & sometimes only 2. What’s the situation with 11.4.4? Our car wants to download it, but hasn’t connected to wifi yet to do it. But later tonight it will connect to wifi & be able to download it unless I forget the wifi network.
It’s still stuck on two degrees with the thumb wheel. I hadn’t noticed the issue until yesterday With 14.4.4.

Still having issues with car jumping into turn lanes when it shouldn’t. I had noticed the patch to prevent it has come back. You see the blinker blink once or twice to prevent it from jumping into the turn lane. Overall they have decreased as a result but still happen. I can’t swear by it but once it screws up at a particular spot it doesn’t do it again in a majority of the time.

Still having issues with car jumping into turn lanes when it shouldn’t. I had noticed the patch to prevent it has come back. You see the blinker blink once or twice to prevent it from jumping into the turn lane. Overall they have decreased as a result but still happen. I can’t swear by it but once it screws up at a particular spot it doesn’t do it again in a majority of the time.
Yep, still problematic for me too. Otherwise I do like how 11.4.4 is working for me, in terms of confidence, smoothness, etc. I'd still like a bit earlier braking when approaching a red light at 60 mph on a divided highway, but I can live with that. But the frequent lurching into turn lanes really gets on my nerves! Hope Tesla can sort that issue out soon! It was pretty rare on 11.3.6.

Reactions: Reddy Kilowatt
Got 11.4.4 last night and it's already tried to kill me. It pulls up to a stop sign at a T intersection. With close oncoming traffic from the left, it decides to go for it and I slammed on the brakes. It's possible it was creeping up for a better look, but if so, it was "creeping" so fast as to frighten the oncoming car and would have required a hard stop even more vigorous that I applied.

Further more it has reverted to trying to change lanes right into temporary lanes. The sort of lane where another car making a right turn onto my lane has a dedicated turn lane with a brief extension to the right of my lane. It used to do that all the time, then it stopped, now it's back again.
Yep, same issues here. I noticed some VERY small improvements in turns and acceleration with the update but overall, it's an epic fail.

In the past two days my 2021 MSLR has attempted to pull into crossing traffic multiple times, with no "creeping forward message" and has started Phantom Braking more than the last two releases.

However, the best part, was exiting a toll road to an exit ramp that ends at a red light. It executed this flawlessly!!! (clap clap clap) and as I sit at the red light (the ONLY light visible from that position), I'm looking at my next song to come through my iTunes and all of a sudden my car decides F*%K this light, we're going now!! And through the red light we go! I slam on the brakes about the time the rear tires are to the stop line and luckily, with no cross-traffic, an embarrassment or disaster was averted.

So, once again, like all the previous versions, this one too has so many dangerous quirks that it's just not tenable. I find myself driving like I'm guarding a 14 yr old kid at the wheel, constantly alert for the next stupid action or movement. There is a 20/80 where 20% of the time I'm thinking, "Wow, that's cool," or "Wow, it did that maneuver quite well." Then there's the 80% that I am cursing the car, cursing the Tesla Engineers, grabbing the yoke to avoid swerving into YET ANOTHER turn lane at 75mph or slamming on the brakes to avoid getting killed by crossing traffic or to avoid some criminal traffic offense.

It's simply disappointing and disheartening that with every step forward it's several steps back.

The later versions of FSD (of this year) feel like they are getting much worse for me. Almost every time I give it a try, there will be a major blunder. I notice 2 major problems:
1) "FSD is trying to kill me." A couple times it suddenly moved the car into incoming traffic, once on a two-lane 50mph road.
2) "FSD is stupid". The planning seems to get much worse. For example, yesterday, I was driving on a 2+1+2 lane road with a left turn expected in 2 miles. One mile before the turn, the FSD moved the car into the right lane. The traffic was very light and I was okay with this. However, the FSD has noticed it needs to be in the left turn lane only 100 ft before the intersection when driving 45 mph. Was it thinking about drifting the car in the left turn or what, I don't know. Another day, the FSD totally missed that it must be in the left lane to enter a highway on a 2-lane one-way road.

Is is possible that this is a centigrade vs Fahrenheit with rounding issue?

1689143951507.png

Hopefully Musk will get this straghented out before trying to land on Mars....

Attachments

• 1689143714659.png
    1689143714659.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 1689143850275.png
    1689143850275.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: GalacticHero
I think it may be related to that. But the car has never had this issue till recently. And weirdly, it comes and goes. On some drives it works fine & then on the next drive it doesn't. Very odd.
Depending on where the F/C problem is, it might act differently on various tries.

For example, If the scroll changes it by 1º C but it is previously set to an integer Fº setting f, the scroll will cause cause it to go to f+1.8, then f+3.6 and then f+5.4. Rounded, it would display f, f+2, f+4 and then f=5.

On the other hand, the scroll sets it to the next high integer Cº, the pattern would depend on the initial Fº setting. In either case, most clicks would show 2 Fº change, but every few change 1 Fº.

Of course the bug could be something completely different. I just thought it would be an ironic bug for folks planning to land on mars. Without crashing....

I'd check it, but my MY does not appear to allow temp change by scroll wheel. Or I just don't know how to do it....

I think it may be related to that. But the car has never had this issue till recently. And weirdly, it comes and goes. On some drives it works fine & then on the next drive it doesn't. Very odd.
Yes, very odd indeed. Curiouser and curiouser, as Alice would say.

This got me curious about how my Model Y handles F vs C. It appears that the car uses Celsius internally and converts to F for the display. However, the conversion is not accurate. For example, when set to either 15.5 or 16ºC, it displays as 60ºF, while accurate conversion would give 59.9 and 60.8F respectively. Likewise, both 26.5 and 27ºC both display as 81F. These cases are near the low and high limits of the system, so no one notices. Between these flat spots, rather than 0.9F increments for each 0.5C change, they use a 1.0F increment. As a result, from 60F to 63F, the F display is 1 degree lower than an exact conversion. From 64F to 73F it is right on. From 74F to 81F it displays one degree more than the exact conversion. The result is that between setting of 16C and 26.5C, each half degree C of change results in one degree of change in the F display.

To test the internal representation, I set it to 60F, switched the display and it shows 16C. Now changing that to 15.5C and back to F it still shows 60F and going back to C still shows 15.5. So the car is remembering it is set to the C number. If I change the F number to 61 and back to 60, that gets converted to 16.

Your MS is different. But for kicks, you might try switching Controls/Display/Temperature setting from F to C and see how it behaves. My hunch is that it will change 1ºC with each click.

Sorry, I know I have given this the third degree treatment. But computers are usually better at making consistent errors rather than truly odd behavior.

Has anyone seen a case where they turn onto a road and then the car accelerates up to the correct speed but really slowly. As in "1 mph per second" slowly. I have a road that I drive regularly, but today I was routed around a section of that road. Possibly due to flooding. I hit that weird slow acceleration behavior when turning onto the rerouted section. I was rerouted onto the same road coming and going and encountered the same slow acceleration each time.

I can imagine the speed being wrong for a given road due to map errors, but I can't imagine the acceleration coming from the map data as well.

It was a two lane road with a center line but not much of a shoulder. Sunny, with shadows across the road. Speed limit was 40, cruise speed was 44. The road that it normally takes is the exact same roadway type and there's never any issues with acceleration from a controlled intersection. The car is running FSDb 11.4.4.

Has anyone seen a case where they turn onto a road and then the car accelerates up to the correct speed but really slowly. As in "1 mph per second" slowly. I have a road that I drive regularly, but today I was routed around a section of that road. Possibly due to flooding. I hit that weird slow acceleration behavior when turning onto the rerouted section. I was rerouted onto the same road coming and going and encountered the same slow acceleration each time.

I can imagine the speed being wrong for a given road due to map errors, but I can't imagine the acceleration coming from the map data as well.

It was a two lane road with a center line but not much of a shoulder. Sunny, with shadows across the road. Speed limit was 40, cruise speed was 44. The road that it normally takes is the exact same roadway type and there's never any issues with acceleration from a controlled intersection. The car is running FSDb 11.4.4.
Yes, it's a recent occurrence for me. I'm also on 11.4.4. I have not waiting to see if it would make it to the target speed.

Reactions: Genie and JB47394

Oddly, I have the opposite experience.

After a turn, the car has been rapidly accelerating to the road speed limit, then stops doing that a bit abruptly. So, if the speed limit is 25, the car zips around the turn, gets up to 25, and then hangs there. Doesn't help that even if the speed limit is 25, all the sane drivers go 30-35.

On 10.X.X, there were more cases of slow accel/decel, especially on limited access highway driving. On 11.4.4, when moving out of a slower lane into a faster one, the car speeds up as it shifts over; that definitely wasn't the case with 11.3.x, where it would move over, then seemingly take forever before speeding up.

Reactions: JB47394
Oddly, I have the opposite experience.
I saw lots of harsh turning acceleration on 11.3.6, but 11.4.4 rarely does that for me. I've never seen this behavior of crawling up to the speed limit. Note that the turn itself is at a comfortable speed. But then there's no follow-through to accelerate to the posted speed limit.
On 11.4.4, when moving out of a slower lane into a faster one, the car speeds up as it shifts over; that definitely wasn't the case with 11.3.x, where it would move over, then seemingly take forever before speeding up.
Ugh. I did a 4000 mile road trip with the old behavior. The routine of changing lanes and then sitting there for 5 seconds without accelerating was just awful. The new behavior is vastly better.

I got a big chuckle reading that. You've given everyone two choices: you either break the traffic laws and speed, or you're insane.
Now, now. If one goes 25 on that section of the road one gets tailgated by the local maniacs, not in the least because for <s>the Extreme Safety Oriented Actions of the Town Council Setting All the Speed Limits to 25 in the Town</s>, despite the fact that all of these roads used to be 35 and were built for that purpose.

It's a hard call. Lots of kids cross this road to get back and forth to school, the city pool, and so on, and all the flashing yellow lights in Creation doesn't slow down all the maniacs. Best bet would be for the local cops to really police the road for a couple of weeks and ticket people; then, that turn onto a 25 mph road wouldn't end up with one getting tailgated, anyway.

Reactions: GalacticHero
Now, now. If one goes 25 on that section of the road one gets tailgated by the local maniacs, not in the least because for <s>the Extreme Safety Oriented Actions of the Town Council Setting All the Speed Limits to 25 in the Town</s>, despite the fact that all of these roads used to be 35 and were built for that purpose.

It's a hard call. Lots of kids cross this road to get back and forth to school, the city pool, and so on, and all the flashing yellow lights in Creation doesn't slow down all the maniacs. Best bet would be for the local cops to really police the road for a couple of weeks and ticket people; then, that turn onto a 25 mph road wouldn't end up with one getting tailgated, anyway.
It's cool, I get it.

"Your Honor, I plead not guilty. There were lots of maniacs stealing clothes from that Nordstrom. If I didn't steal that sweater, I'd be insane."

"..."

"I mean, Your Honor, if they really don't want people stealing clothes, there should be police at every Nordstroms."

🤔

It's cool, I get it.

"Your Honor, I plead not guilty. There were lots of maniacs stealing clothes from that Nordstrom. If I didn't steal that sweater, I'd be insane."

"..."

"I mean, Your Honor, if they really don't want people stealing clothes, there should be police at every Nordstroms."

🤔
Ahem. So, you tell me: Do you always go at or below the speed limit? What do you do if you're on an interstate that's marked 60 mph, and you're getting passed by everybody doing 65+ mph?