Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Have you received map updates?

Have you received Model S map updates?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier it had been asserted that service centers couldn't install the maps like they can firmware.
As of a few months ago this was still the case. Mine's about 18 months old now, no map updates. My car is 100% cellular, never connected to WiFi (both work and home garages are underground, no way to get internet there). The SC was apologetic, but admitted I'd likely never get a map update unless Tesla changes their policy in the future.

Interesting... we hit 50 respondents, and the total is 56% yes, and 44% no.

So clearly a number of folks have NOT received new maps, despite the majority of those who haven't having WiFi connectivity to their cars... so that seems to not be the deciding factor.

The handful of folks who have gotten the maps WITHOUT any WiFi connectivity is interesting.

So.. Tesla... how do the rest of us get the new maps??

The handful of folks who have gotten the maps WITHOUT any WiFi connectivity is interesting.
Be careful inferring that. The poll says "Not often connected," not never connected.

We know firmware updates proceed in pieces over time, and you get a upgrade notification once all the pieces are complete. There may be a similar mechanism for maps.

Some have said they got the map update notification when they were on cellular, but we don't really know if that means they received the last bit of data over cellular or if the data had finished updating over WiFi and there's some delay before the notification (background checksum verification and unpacking?).

I thought mine would be a good test since the only time it's ever been on WiFi is when it auto-connects at the Service Center, but there are so many people without map updates it's impossible to tell.

Be careful inferring that. The poll says "Not often connected," not never connected.

We know firmware updates proceed in pieces over time, and you get a upgrade notification once all the pieces are complete. There may be a similar mechanism for maps.

Some have said they got the map update notification when they were on cellular, but we don't really know if that means they received the last bit of data over cellular or if the data had finished updating over WiFi and there's some delay before the notification (background checksum verification and unpacking?).

I thought mine would be a good test since the only time it's ever been on WiFi is when it auto-connects at the Service Center, but there are so many people without map updates it's impossible to tell.

Good point. I was thinking of this post:

I received map updates without Wifi. Never have my car connected to Wifi and got the maps updated prompt a few months ago.

But that's only one of the respondents in that category, so your point is well taken..

Is there a way to tell the version of the maps the car has?
Isn't it possible people got new maps without knowing it while their car was at a SC?

The answer to the question for me is no, but that's not at all surprising as I only have my car for 6 weeks now. I'm often connected through WiFi.

Well, it turns out I was wrong.

I mentioned this issue to the Service Manager at the local center today, and he was able to check my map version from his desktop computer via VIN lookup. I got the new maps last fall.

But I never got a notification.

Incidentally, I noticed a new appearance of the maps some time back when I also got a firmware upgrade sometime in the past, but was never able to determine if it was other than cosmetic. Perhaps not after all.

So... my vote is now:
  • Yes: My car is often connected via WiFi but I have no idea how I got the maps.

Similar situation, maps updated early December without notification or confirmation, navagation is still unreliabable so I still use Waze or Google maps on my phone espeacially after the range anxiety update.