Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - 60 to 75 upgrade

Are you going to upgrade from 60-75 KWH now that the price has dropped to $2K?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me - my 100% was 219 miles (rated) and now is 256 (rated) and 317 miles (ideal). So I either gained 37 miles, or 98 miles, depending on the definition of miles. Yesterday, I drained my battery to 50 remaining miles, and got an orange "low fuel" warning. First time I saw that. I then continued driving down hill and regenerated until my fuel/milage gauge said I had 67 miles remaining. {I drove 20 miles, all downhill from the top of Mt Lemmon}. This morning I drove around my neighborhood, and every time I backed off the throttle, I got a yellow warning triangle - I think it was saying it would not accept any regen until I burned off a few more miles.
So- I learned two new warning lights, neither of which I could find in the owners manual. And I still can't figure out what the difference is between Rated and Ideal. Can I ever use my 317 mile range? or would I be calling for a tow by then. How do I use Ideal?

Last edited:
Another reason I opted to upgrade is that I leave my car at airports, etc. for extended lengths of time for vacationing 2-3 weeks at a time and when I was a 60D S owner my battery was nearly depleted and I was a bit of a nervous wreck watching its battery life decline on Teslafi.com while vacationing... Now with the 75D, I am nowhere close to battery expiration at 3 weeks, so this is worth the $2000.00, every penny... and I can vacation without being on Teslafi.com... FREEDOM!!!

Another reason I opted to upgrade is that I leave my car at airports, etc. for extended lengths of time for vacationing 2-3 weeks at a time and when I was a 60D S owner my battery was nearly depleted and I was a bit of a nervous wreck watching its battery life decline on Teslafi.com while vacationing... Now with the 75D, I am nowhere close to battery expiration at 3 weeks, so this is worth the $2000.00, every penny... and I can vacation without being on Teslafi.com... FREEDOM!!!

Odd, I'd leave my 60D at airport garages (not being charged) for 2-3 weeks at a time as well and have never observed anywhere near the loss you did, and none of my colleagues did either). I'm sure you know about TeslaFi consumption/vampire drain problem irrespective of model....

Reactions: gabeincal
Odd, I'd leave my 60D at airport garages (not being charged) for 2-3 weeks at a time as well and have never observed anywhere near the loss you did, and none of my colleagues did either). I'm sure you know about TeslaFi consumption/vampire drain problem irrespective of model....

I had four Tesla apps that were polling my car during these last couple of vacations which I've now eliminated, but still I see a great improvement, especially when I charge to 90-95% prior to starting my vacation.

I had four Tesla apps that were polling my car during these last couple of vacations which I've now eliminated, but still I see a great improvement, especially when I charge to 90-95% prior to starting my vacation.
I've been parking my Teslas at the airport for a week+ at the time and without the power saver option it drains between 2-6 rated miles per day, depending on temperature. Covered parking, so not in the middle of some field with winds howling. I never have anything polling, nor do I connect to the car every day to check on it.

Just an update -- I have been through 3 cycles of discharge and 100% charging and my MS75D still only gets to exactly 249 RM.

Seems like I should get a 27% discount on the upgrade... o_O
My new 75D went from 219 range miles (as a 60D) to 256 range miles (after two deep discharge/recharge cycles). And I hear that my 60 was actually a 62, and now my 75 is actually a 72. So I paid $2,000 for 10 kw increase, not a 15 kw increase, and got 37 miles for it. Dems the facts...but what is not priced here is the range anxiety removal, which has a value only mildly related to money.

Reactions: BerTX
My new 75D went from 219 range miles (as a 60D) to 256 range miles (after two deep discharge/recharge cycles). And I hear that my 60 was actually a 62, and now my 75 is actually a 72. So I paid $2,000 for 10 kw increase, not a 15 kw increase, and got 37 miles for it. Dems the facts...but what is not priced here is the range anxiety removal, which has a value only mildly related to money.

For me, the change to 75D is a reduction in stress, Priceless... and yes, worth $2000.00. Thanks Tesla...

I'm also getting 255 or 256 at 100% with my new 75D. I was getting 220 with my 60D at 100%. I"m going to stop charging to 100% now though. I forgot how stressful it is to have to brake all the time. Luckily it rained today and I needed the extra braking before I parked.

For me - my 100% was 219 miles (rated) and now is 256 (rated) and 317 miles (ideal). So I either gained 37 miles, or 98 miles, depending on the definition of miles. Yesterday, I drained my battery to 50 remaining miles, and got an orange "low fuel" warning. First time I saw that. I then continued driving down hill and regenerated until my fuel/milage gauge said I had 67 miles remaining. {I drove 20 miles, all downhill from the top of Mt Lemmon}. This morning I drove around my neighborhood, and every time I backed off the throttle, I got a yellow warning triangle - I think it was saying it would not accept any regen until I burned off a few more miles.
So- I learned two new warning lights, neither of which I could find in the owners manual. And I still can't figure out what the difference is between Rated and Ideal. Can I ever use my 317 mile range? or would I be calling for a tow by then. How do I use Ideal?
By my experiences, you should be able to get 300 miles on the highway without any real issues.

I'm also getting 255 or 256 at 100% with my new 75D. I was getting 220 with my 60D at 100%. I"m going to stop charging to 100% now though. I forgot how stressful it is to have to brake all the time. Luckily it rained today and I needed the extra braking before I parked.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm getting at 20k miles on my 75D and when it was a 60D I was getting 220 also.

I agree with your point, but in planning a long cross-country trip, there were several places where I can "cut a corner" due to Supercharger placement, where I would have been leery to do so with the 60kWh battery.

For example, going from Amarillo TX to Trinidad, Colorado looks like this with the MS60D:
View attachment 223435

And like this in the MS75D:
View attachment 223434

There are places on regular long routes, like this, that make it worthwhile.

Be careful when using EVTP to compare routing differences between the 60 and 75 kWh batteries to always click the "Route thru Superchargers" button between changing battery sizes. It may route totally differently with the larger battery, but just changing the battery size selection just takes you on the same route that was plotted for the smaller battery -- you have to hit the button to get it to re-route.

I know you were using ABRP, but similar situations arise in making those comparisons using whatever tool. Look for places where you have to take the long way around with the 60 kWh battery due to Supercharger placement.

I have an S70, and there is no way I am going to try a 236 mile trip through that desolate country, particularly if it is cold. Don't rely on the rated range.

You are not alone. We finally completed three cycles last evening; topping out at 249 RM.
Let me know when your "discount" refund arrives.....:rolleyes:
It seemed odd to me that I was getting exactly the miles rating that a single motor 75 should get. We asked at service and they said no, it was just coincidental.

I'm not too worried about it, as it's just a calculated estimate. The battery has the capacity that it has, no matter what the calculation says.

Got my badge changed today. :)View attachment 223907
Go bears! =P

Oh and i'm sticking with our 60.
it's more than enough for everyday drive, we can charge to 100% without having to worry about losing regen. Also, as some have pointed out 60(62kWh) vs 75(72kWh).
It will take much longer too supercharge those last bits too.

Last edited:
Reactions: caltechkid