Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please! Talk me out of MX Plaid !!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know, silly right?

But why do i want a Plaid, so i can melt my face off, go to drag race strip, impress my friends, etc. ?

I've done the research. And not bragging, but $ is there. But can i put $ elsewhere? Sure.

Help me go through some other set of reasonings to talk me into buying the MX (Long Range).

Situation: Family of 4, kids grown up, 18 and 19 ages. Don't need >5 seats. Fold down is a bonus.

So, comes down to 0-60 between 3.8 and 2.5 secs.

2.5 ! That i'm reading is 1G pull ! Damn...

I do like that litle bit of extra "range" on the Long Range model.

Why do i want a Plaid ???!!!

I hate to buy MX and get a buyer's remorse.

1713391422569.jpeg

Last edited:
I did demo drive MX overnight, and between Sport and Insane modes, i "could" feel difference.

0-60 in 3.8 is no joke, i.e. i can feel the pull from standstill, and pulling out in 50-60 mph.

I'm sure the MXP will do all that, and "faster".

Sub-4 second cars are so crowded these days with EV and ICE cars.

Sub-3 second is still premium?

Damn you Tesla !

Anyway, 0-60 aside, practically, yeah, ... damn...

Maybe the Plaid holds its value better? Damn...

I bought the Plaid last month and no question, it was the right decision. The new long range X is as fast as my old P90D ludicrous, but there is a real sense of satisfaction getting in and knowing basically nothing else can out-accelerate you. If you're already asking yourself this question before purchasing, you'll be really mad if you spend this amount of money on a car and didn't get what you really wanted.

• Love
Reactions: Tiger and ev919
Okay, okay. Damn you Tesla !

This is my plan of attack:

MXP, all black interior (at least i'll have some satisfaction that i saved $2,000, lol)
Stealth Grey <<------ the boss (aka. wife) can't stand any other color, and here, i'm talking Plaid as a daily driver for the wife, what a joke...
20" wheel
Steering wheel

(i would prefer 5 seats with fold down, no need for 6 seats, but +1 could come handy, but without complete fold down, yeah, that sucks, hopefully the 0-60 can make up for that, haha...)

(with Tesla and non-Tesla fees included)
Downpayment of $47,000
Loan amount of $52,304
Local credit union rate of 5.99%
Term of 60 months
Monthly payment of $1,011.29 (i can live with that, lol) <<------- MX would be at around $600'ish.

And did allocate ~$3,000 for the accessories, tint, ceramic coating and ppf's... regardless of MX or MXP purchase.

I "may have" gone for the lease, but the fine print that says, i don't get to keep it afterwards, yeah, that sucks... I'm ~60 years old, and i'm not a car hopping person every so many years... I buy to keep.

Dam you Tesla !

Incidentally, my coworker has Model S P100D, and hoping i can keep up with him in MXP...

Damn you Tesla !

Last edited:
Plaids have way more issues than LR, have fun with that and dealing with the service dept.
I'm "hoping" to ring out the bugs/issues/etc. within the 4 years, at least that's the plan.

And the Tesla Raleigh gives loaner for all warranty related work, so i'll put that to test.

And they have 2 mobile service vans in the RTP area so that's a bit of bonus as well, to work on car on the parking lot for stuffs that can be done in that context.

If anything else, i'll have mastered these 2, out of spec and within spec. :)

LR is the logical and sensible choice. Plaid is another matter all its own. Like others have said, if you're asking the question, then just go Plaid. Otherwise, for the next 4 years, you'll be always asking yourself, maybe I should have. Or if you see one driving around, you go... hmmmmm, what if....
If you have the $$ already allocated, just do it. Cars are never sensible purchases, heck, any depreciating asset is not a sensible purchase. I had a '16 90D, didn't go with P90D, and always wondered... then had a '21 Raven X, didn't go with Performance, then it's just nagging me that I didn't have the fastest SUV in the world. Got a chance to fix that with a '22 MXP. No more 'what ifs' in my head. Done. Enjoying it.

-ThinkMac-

Get the LR and save the extra money you are not spending on the Plaid and invest it. You go from losing $8k servicing your loan to making money.
Yep, all good points. All valid points to think through those tradeoffs. And it's really that, comes down to individual preference, goals, etc.

But at the end of the day, IMHO comes down to what is going to make me "happy" (weird isn't it)?

And also see the purchase as an investment in itself, in a strange way.

LR is the logical and sensible choice. Plaid is another matter all its own. Like others have said, if you're asking the question, then just go Plaid. Otherwise, for the next 4 years, you'll be always asking yourself, maybe I should have. Or if you see one driving around, you go... hmmmmm, what if....
If you have the $$ already allocated, just do it. Cars are never sensible purchases, heck, any depreciating asset is not a sensible purchase. I had a '16 90D, didn't go with P90D, and always wondered... then had a '21 Raven X, didn't go with Performance, then it's just nagging me that I didn't have the fastest SUV in the world. Got a chance to fix that with a '22 MXP. No more 'what ifs' in my head. Done. Enjoying it.

-ThinkMac-
I think you hit the nail on the head, which is what i'm going through the exact scenario.

Back in Feb 2019, i purchased a new X3 M40i. And back then i "thought" would be the top of the line, "fastest" X3 from BMW. Then i noticed just few short months later BMW releases their true M variant of X3, the X3M and the Competition X3M. Ever since, well, i've been kicking myself should have, should have, why, why, what if ... And each time i see X3M going by, sigh...

So, trying to avoid that (silly) moment with MX.

BTW, too obvious that i seem to value 0-60, speed, and such? Interesting isn't it that that's where my priority is with MX purchase... :(

dam you tesla...

Pros:
Faster acceleration, carbon fiber inserts, better brakes, red calipers bigger resale value.

Cons:
Insurance, more $ than LR, traffic tickets

What’s with the comment about plaids more unreliable? I haven’t heard that or seen that in the forums.

Reactions: mikez10288
Pros:
Faster acceleration, carbon fiber inserts, better brakes, red calipers bigger resale value.

Cons:
Insurance, more $ than LR, traffic tickets

What’s with the comment about plaids more unreliable? I haven’t heard that or seen that in the forums.
For the above Pros, don't care for CF decors and the red calipers. Those can be done aftermarket fashion on the Long Range, if one wants to. But the 2.5 and relatively >resale value, ok, i do like that. :)

Agreed on the following cons.

State Farm wants ~$800'ish to insure MXP every 6 mos.

But interestingly, State Farm wants the "same amount" for the MX Long Range. Isn't that odd? I made sure they are giving me the correct quotes several times, with several 2024 new VIN examples. And each time, response was Plaid or non-Plaid, SAME premium. WHAT ???!!!

Initially i was given ~$630'ish for non-Plaid MX. So i don't know what is going on here.