Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pistol Safe for Model S 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*Moderator Note : These threads often derail into opinions about guns, conservative vs liberal, politics about guns, etc. That will not be tolerated here. There are other places to discuss those issues. This thread must stick to the original question. If you don't know the answer or have something to directly contribute to help the OP answer his question, then move along. You'll get one warning and then you'll be put on probation.

I'm picking up my 2015 Telsa Model S 85D next week. It will not have a center console.

I'm in a California county where you can't carry on your person, but I can have a handgun and a magazine in a locked case in the vehicle at all times. I would like some sort of solution where I have a pistol safe (preferably electronic punch code or punch code and RFID, with a physical key as backup.)

In my current vehicle, I use a Hornady Rapid Vehicle Safe and just keep a sweatshirt hanging off my shifter that covers up the safe, but with the lack of a console, doubt the design will work in the Telsa. I would like to semi-permanently mount the case or at least tie it down to the seat frame--preferably where the center console would otherwise be.

The safe doesn't need to be huge--as long as it fits a Glock 19 and a standard mag, that's fine.

Anybody with experience in this? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm picking up my 2015 Telsa Model S 85D next week. It will not have a center console.

I'm in a California county where you can't carry on your person, but I can have a handgun and a magazine in a locked case in the vehicle at all times. I would like some sort of solution where I have a pistol safe (preferably electronic punch code or punch code and RFID, with a physical key as backup.)

In my current vehicle, I use a Hornady Rapid Vehicle Safe and just keep a sweatshirt hanging off my shifter that covers up the safe, but with the lack of a console, doubt the design will work in the Telsa. I would like to semi-permanently mount the case or at least tie it down to the seat frame--preferably where the center console would otherwise be.

The safe doesn't need to be huge--as long as it fits a Glock 19 and a standard mag, that's fine.

Anybody with experience in this? Thank you.

You may want to check CA law again

I believe CA law to say you can have a unloaded pistol in a locked container and transport it in your vehicle. They really seem to want it in the trunk - but you obviously don't have one. That "safe" you linked should work as long as its locked and the pistol is unload and maybe out of arms reach?

Many believe that a semi auto unloaded (nothing in chamber) but a loaded mag in the same locked container equals a loaded handgun?

I do have the sentry safe biometric $199ish "safe" in my nightstand and it works well. Easily will hold a Glock 19

If you desire to have a firearm closer in your vehicle you should establish your primary residency in a more conservative county and get a CCW that SF will be forced to recognize.

I am not sure this the most gun friendly forum but there are some gun owners

Reactions: SSedan
You may want to check CA law again

I believe CA law to say you can have a unloaded pistol in a locked container and transport it in your vehicle. They really seem to want it in the trunk - but you obviously don't have one. That "safe" you linked should work as long as its locked and the pistol is unload and maybe out of arms reach?

Many believe that a semi auto unloaded (nothing in chamber) but a loaded mag in the same locked container equals a loaded handgun?

I do have the sentry safe biometric $199ish "safe" in my nightstand and it works well. Easily will hold a Glock 19

If you desire to have a firearm closer in your vehicle you should establish your primary residency in a more conservative county and get a CCW that SF will be forced to recognize.

I am not sure this the most gun friendly forum but there are some gun owners

You're right in that the handgun cannot have a loaded magazine unless you have a CCW. However, a loaded mag can be in the same container so long as it is not in the magwell of the pistol (in California; may differ elsewhere). Some say the magazine cannot be in the same container. They are unequivocally wrong. There's no need to have it in the trunk if it is in a locked container in the cabin, so long as that container is not the console or the glove box. It is entirely legal to have it within easy reach so long as it is in the locked container. I am very familiar with all the relevant statutes and I'm very sure all of this is correct; establishing residency elsewhere is not a realistic solution for me at this point.

So I'm less interested in the legalities than in the logistical side of things of mounting a "safe" ideally where the center console would otherwise be? Is there a way to mount the sentry safe where the center console would otherwise be in the Tesla?

Do you have the covered center console or yacht floor?

The yacht floor could be perfect for mounting depending on the dimensions of the safe. If you have the standard center console with the sliding drawer I would say your options are limited in terms of quick access.

The matching yacht floor wasn't listed as an option. This is how it looks according to the photos Telsa took.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 689
That is the open yacht floor. You should have no problem bolting/fabricating something to fit in that space.

Thanks, hopefully I can figure it out when I actually have the vehicle.

No, it looks nice, but it wouldn't work. It has to be locked, and it cannot be a console for legal reasons (unless I want to put a lockable case inside the console, which could be an option but it doesn't look like a case would fit).