Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of Model 3... probably not but nice concept anyway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JRP3, I must respectfully disagree with you. I think the new Mazda 3 is actually one of the most attractive compacts out there. Not the best-packaged or most space-efficient, but it is good-looking. But the proprtions wouldn't make sense on an EV. I'm all for a "shooting brake" type shape.

For me the Mazda 3 is not that interesting, but of course looks are subjective. It's just not a car that would make me look twice, and I don't like the hood line and windshield, doesn't look aerodynamic to me. I've always been partial to the look of the Kia Optima, and a more streamlined version of something similar would work for me. Plus they already come with better looking "Aero wheels" than the ones Tesla offered.

2011_Kia_Optima_SX_--_08-26-2011.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

"Weird mobile" looks aside, the problem I have with wheel covers is the snow and ice build-up in winter. It can be a problem with ordinary open wheel wells. With covered wheel wells it likely would be much worse.

Heated wheel wells of course :wink: I'd like to see wheel covers as options, and easily removable, (with a key or something).

For me the Mazda 3 is not that interesting, but of course looks are subjective. It's just not a car that would make me look twice, and I don't like the hood line and windshield, doesn't look aerodynamic to me. I've always been partial to the look of the Kia Optima, and a more streamlined version of something similar would work for me.

Wow, they certainly are subjective. I think the Mazda 3 looks nice (I could see the Model 3 being like the sedan version but with a lift back) and the Kia optima looks like a totally generic boring sedan.

At least in the US, many places in Europe a 3 series Wagon would be the killer combination.
Once again, I'd like to make the case for the Skoda Vision D concept from 2011. Of course the front does not have the Tesla family trademarks (Volkswagen group heritage is obvious), but as for size and general shape/feel I think this would work. I especially like the rear - i think they call this style 'fastback", but i could be wrong.
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg

Elon mentioned it in one of his presentations. 3 sedan AND small SUV. The SUV would probably be the biggest seller IMO.
GH

SUV eventually, yes, but not on initial release, unless I've missed something.

Once again, I'd like to make the case for the Skoda Vision D concept from 2011.

That's interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

I think this would be a very cool Gen III look for Tesla.

I've always been a fan of the BMW M Coupe style:

The long hood doesn't make much sense for an EV and limits interior space.

the style isn't really about the hood though, its about the back.
But sadly it seems that the station wagon in the US is much requested but not actually purchased :(
Most manufacturers that offer them here only get limited sales.

Once again, I'd like to make the case for the Skoda Vision D concept from 2011. Of course the front does not have the Tesla family trademarks (Volkswagen group heritage is obvious), but as for size and general shape/feel I think this would work. I especially like the rear - i think they call this style 'fastback", but i could be wrong.
View attachment 80708

Skoda Vision D concept from 2011??? That car looks like a 'four-door' version of the 1992 VW Corrado I used to own!

attachment.php?attachmentid=80773&stc=1&d=1431363566.jpg

The long hood doesn't make much sense for an EV and limits interior space.

Yeah, I wasn't really saying it would make sense for Gen III, just that I like that look in particular.

The BMW 3-series wagon is probably a much better way to go for Model 3 (if they're going for a 'shooting brake' type design):

lead2-2014-bmw-3-series-sports-wagon-fd.jpg

Attachments

• untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 476
I would suggest that Tesla take notes from the new Skoda Octavia. Obviously the design should be more sporty than the octavia, but the packaging is just spot on. It's practical, has the right size and tons of cabin space.

2015-Skoda-Octavia-4x4-640x320.jpg

And if they do a FWD version they can extend the batteries back and forego the frunk and end up with a compact nose and a huge boot space:

2014_Skoda_Octavia_Cargo.jpg

Many of my friends who would normally only buy wagons are now seriously considering this car due to it's gigantic boot.

Take a look at their video here and some private footage on youtube

And if they do a FWD version they can extend the batteries back and forego the frunk and end up with a compact nose and a huge boot space

Remember the front end isn't just frunk for frunk's sake... That space is a big part of why Tesla's have such good driver protection in a crash. It's a huge crumple zone built to absorb a lot of impact.

Remember the front end isn't just frunk for frunk's sake... That space is a big part of why Tesla's have such good driver protection in a crash. It's a huge crumple zone built to absorb a lot of impact.

Agreed, but with the 3 they are using much stronger steel in the front and can design a crumple zone around the compact packaging of the electric motor. The P85D is just as safe as a classic S85 even with a front engine.

How much they can shorten the nose without compromising safety and looks is another matter. As crazy as this may seem I would be tempted to give up a MS for a more compact fully loaded 3.

Of course in my fantasy land the 3 is as practical and beautiful as the S, has RWD and an 85 kWh pack that gets 500 real km's.

For people (like me) that might not know what a "shooting brake" car style is and why it's called that, take a look at these two links:

Wikipedia: Shooting-brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google Images: shooting brake - Google Search

I think this would be a very cool Gen III look for Tesla.

I've always been a fan of the BMW M Coupe style:

View attachment 80667

Not a fan. It looks like they took the front of one car and rear of another car and decided to put them together.

I would suggest that Tesla take notes from the new Skoda Octavia. Obviously the design should be more sporty than the octavia, but the packaging is just spot on. It's practical, has the right size and tons of cabin space.

View attachment 81149

And is incredibly dull and boring. No thanks. And no FWD please. I do expect the 3 to have a hatch similar to the Model S, so the Skoda offers nothing new there.