Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of Model 3... probably not but nice concept anyway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not horrible, but yes, looks like it's a warmed-over Ford Evos rendering, and yes, the rear liftover looks way too high. I think I remember Musk saying at one point he wanted the Model 3 to be "useful" and "different." I think the final model will probably be a little more adventurous than the early AutoExpress renderings, but not radically crazy.

apteraa.jpg
apterab.jpg

This was a design study for the Aptera four wheel car. Maybe it could be used as the basis for the Model III.
Aerodynamic slippery, 4 door, nice styling.
What do you guy's and girls think?

I say tesla engineer get lazy and just copy the design for the aptera. That looks sleek and definitely futuristic. Personally for me, as long as it doesn't look like the prius, I am OK with the look. Give me the most range and most efficient car they can build within reasonable price range and I am totally in!

Lets say they decide to do use wheel cover's.
And as they just killed the 60w battery car's, which they may decide to use as the basis for the model III cars.
That may give us a lot more than the promised 220 miles Elon told would be the absolute minimum he would accept as the base minimum.
I for one wouldn't mind a lot more miles/kilometers out of the same battery for the same price.
If it's well designed wheel covers may be not as intrusive as many think. I for one wouldn't find it a deal breaker.

Problem with wheel covers is for most people they qualify as a "weird mobile" - which we allegedly are not going to get.
+1

And also:

I’m actually thinking about getting a monthly ~$850 equivalent, ~7 year car payment to get a 85D…

But if I don't get a Model S I'm definitely getting a Model 3. If the car ended up looking like this and there were no viable alternative I guess I would have to get this car. But I don’t want it to look like this because:

1. I could look a lot better.

2. I don’t think that design is going to be sufficiently commercially successful.

Here are the main problems:

apteraa_m.jpg

A: The front can’t look like this.

B: Granted, this is nitpicking, but I still think those could look better somehow.

C: The Wheels can’t look like this. The best they can do is to make an attractive aero wheel design like that on the R8 e-tron:

r8-e-tron.jpg

D: That doesn’t look like low drag.

E: That looks too much like the headlights on the Leaf. They look like they’ve been drawn unnecessarily high on the fenders. But the headlight on the other side on the other hand looks to be more proportionate…

Finally I’d say that this design looks too clean. It could use some more styling.

- - - Updated - - -

Here’s another problem:

apterab_m.jpg

Why aren’t these two red lines drawn to about where the red dot is, making it a more aerodynamically efficient hatchback design like the Model S? That would also improve the looks.

- - - Updated - - -

Also:

The rear view mirrors in the first picture could look a lot better.

Last edited:
I really hate that last desperate attempt by the holdouts at Aptera switching a creative 3 wheeled ultra aerodynamic design to a basic 4 wheeled car with some aerodynamic touches. It was about six months before that final debacle that I switched from Aptera to Tesla as deserving my support. Elon has integrity and Paul Wilbur was his polar opposite.

That aside and back to the topic at hand. The first picture had some interesting bits but I prefer the blue variation on the current Model S. It was much more sedan-y while the other was more of a CUV-ish sort of thing. I like a lot of the elements of the Mazda which tells me that Franz will do a great job with the 3.

When did anyone from Tesla say the initial Model 3 was going to be a crossover?

The Model 3 will be a sedan like the Model S and that is what has always been announced as you already know JRP3 and were responding to. However they have also said there will be a CUV version of the Model 3 as well, pmadflyer. So Sedan, then crossover version. Much faster than the Model X took though unless Tesla really drops the ball. My WAG would be within a year and a half after the Model 3 sedan shows up. Before 2020, since Elon and others have said they want to be selling 500,000 Model 3's, both sedan and CUV, by 2020.

The Model 3 will be a sedan like the Model S and that is what has always been announced as you already know JRP3 and were responding to. However they have also said there will be a CUV version of the Model 3 as well, pmadflyer. So Sedan, then crossover version. Much faster than the Model X took though unless Tesla really drops the ball. My WAG would be within a year and a half after the Model 3 sedan shows up. Before 2020, since Elon and others have said they want to be selling 500,000 Model 3's, both sedan and CUV, by 2020.

It was on one of JB Straubel's PowerPoint presentations showing the Tesla product evolution. Roadster >Gen 2 sedan and suv>Gen 3 sedan and suv

... all this is correct, except that somewhere the error showed up about calling "Gen III" for "Model 3". Model 3 is a "sedan", and the first Gen III cars to hit the marked. Later there will be CUV version on the Gen III platform, probably called "Model Y" to get the most - S - ☰ - X - Y - product-line out there ;) Then probably the next Roadster will also be a Generation III model, that will be Tesla Roadster 4?

... all this is correct, except that somewhere the error showed up about calling "Gen III" for "Model 3". Model 3 is a "sedan", and the first Gen III cars to hit the marked. Later there will be CUV version on the Gen III platform, probably called "Model Y" to get the most - S - ☰ - X - Y - product-line out there ;) Then probably the next Roadster will also be a Generation III model, that will be Tesla Roadster 4?
I thnik current speculation is the roadster will be Model R. Coincidentally that would make the product line even S3XYR. :)

And yes, I also think that car would be the next logical step as it could re-use the Modelr 3 and Y platform.