Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App v2.0 (FW v6.0)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand the issue. In order to start your car, a thief would need the Tesla app as well as your login ID and password. How would a thief know your login ID? And then if they do, they would have to guess the password by brute force... using a smartphone app. A lot would need to happen, it seems, before a thief can remote start your car. And even if it were to happen, there is plenty of information that has exchanged hands that would make it relatively easy to identify the attacker.

I am not that concerned.

Hmm, at least in my Tesla iPhone app, the Login page shows the login ID automatically entered; all I have to do is type the password.

Without 6.0 in the car (I have 5.12), the App does not show buttons for new features, just a menu for them.
Same here... Just the main controls. Can't wait for 6.0.

- - - Updated - - -

This is being discussed in the existing "Phone App" thread.

Should merged...

Sorry, I didn't know this was already being discussed. Tried a quick search for "Tesla app 6.0," nothing came up.

The new IOS app has a nice new feature: an "Unlock Port" button on the Charge page. It doesn't seem to work with 5.9 on the car, but hopefully once the car is on 6.0, we'll be able to unlock the charge port from the app without unlocking the car. Then if you leave your phone number on a note with the car when charging, if someone calls you needing to charge and you decide to let them unplug you, you can do that without having to unlock the car or go back to it.

Many of you are trying to ditch the tiny fob and use their cell phone instead... WHY?! Just leave the damn thing in your pocket! At least you won't be screwed if your phone dies and your charger is locked inside the car.

The purpose of this feature is to be used for emergencies only; scenarios:
1. You lost your little fob.
2. You are away with the fob and you needed someone to drive your car somewhere while making sure they won't drive it again, unless you wanted them to.
3. You switched with the passenger and left the car but forgot to give him/her the fob and they drove away.
4. Your fob is dead.

The purpose of this feature is to be used for emergencies only

Have a reference from Tesla for that statement?

I can see how someone might use it for emergencies, but perhaps I'd like to use it beyond that, and I haven't seen a definitive statement that Tesla considers it "for emergency use only".

Have a reference from Tesla for that statement?

I can see how someone might use it for emergencies, but perhaps I'd like to use it beyond that, and I haven't seen a definitive statement that Tesla considers it "for emergency use only".

My wife does not care since the fob just goes in her purse, I have to carry everything in my pockets, so I'd love to carry one less thing in my front pocket.

IMHO, The fob is bulky and unnecessary at this point.

Just thought I'd point out that omitting any number of spaces from only six words only makes it 32 times more difficult to brute force (for each of the five spaces between the words, the space would either be present or not present, thus yielding 2^5 combinations of spaces). Given the math of how difficult it is to crack six words that are all within the top 2,000 most used words (it's very difficult, see math below), multiplying by 32 doesn't change the result much. It's probably unnecessary.

[complicated math stuff] [/url]

I recently sent a link to my user community (about 4000 Exchange users) trying to encourage better password practises, judging from the feedback it at least had some impact:

How Secure is My Password

Heh heh - what was that phrase again - 'looking a gift horse in the mouth'?

I wonder what other car company has OTA much less ANY software updates for their existing models?

I am tickled to get all of the upgrades I have received. And look forward to many more as they become available.

Does anyone know if the new Tesla Mobile app will send a notification when v6.0 is available to install? Or will firmware versions after v6.0 push to the mobile app?

I'm not sure what the benefit of this is, as the car tells you when it has downloaded an update and is ready to install. It's unlikely someone would want to install an upgrade while they're away in case something goes wrong.

The new IOS app has a nice new feature: an "Unlock Port" button on the Charge page. It doesn't seem to work with 5.9 on the car, but hopefully once the car is on 6.0, we'll be able to unlock the charge port from the app without unlocking the car. Then if you leave your phone number on a note with the car when charging, if someone calls you needing to charge and you decide to let them unplug you, you can do that without having to unlock the car or go back to it.

That's not new. I've used it often when I didn't have the key handy.

That's not new. I've used it often when I didn't have the key handy.

That's odd. I see this on v1.1.1 of the app (on iPod Touch):

iPod-1.1.1.jpg

... and this on v2.0 (on iPad mini):

iPad-2.0.jpg