Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: Android Beta Version introduced!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious fact from my above experiment: I only "lost" 6 Rated Km. That would correspond to about 1.3 kWh. Doesn't seem like enough.

Speculation: The pack capacity was reading low in the first picture due to the temperature, and was more accurate in the second picture.

Conclusion: You can't draw any conclusions from my experiment about how much power was drawn from the pack. This means I can't tell you if the pack warmed up because I was drawing power from it to heat the cabin, or if it warmed up because the pack heater was running.

@Doug_G - sorry I won't get my car for a few weeks. Can you tell from the display if you would have regen available immediately after you warmed your car up?
Thanks.

Conclusion: You can't draw any conclusions from my experiment about how much power was drawn from the pack. This means I can't tell you if the pack warmed up because I was drawing power from it to heat the cabin, or if it warmed up because the pack heater was running.

Yes, i agree... i did a similar test with similar results.. but i noticed that even when i left the climate control on for 45 minutes the regen dotted line was still limited to around 40 kW.. the limitation did not go away completely - so i am thinking that the battery pack is being warmed only because it is drawing power to heat the cabin -

Doug G, your pic shows after 24 min warming the regen was limited to 30 kW.. can you try a 1 hour warming and see if you get the same results i do ? ( limited to 40 Kw )

But the problem with this kind of testing is that if you set the temp 21C.. within 20-30 minutes your cabine will hit that tempreture and turn OFF.. so for my 45 minute test, i had to keep cranking up the cabin temp.. to the point where it was 27.5C / 82F - and at that point it shuts off and wont heat any more.. at least for me..

I will try a 1 hour test myself today and see what happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Curious fact from my above experiment: I only "lost" 6 Rated Km. That would correspond to about 1.3 kWh. Doesn't seem like enough.

I was playing with this feature a lot yesterday.. continually heating / cooling my car for over 2 - 2.5 hours.. and i did not notice a more significant loss of rated kms.. i didnt check how much , but it was much more than before when i did not use this app.. but then again.. i dont think a person would use it to that extent on a daily basis

The app takes so long to load and connect that it is useless to me right now. By the time it connects my phone goes I to standbys and I have to wake it up and start the process all over. I tried opening it and walking 5 minutes to my car and it was still loading by the time I got there so I couldn't really utilize it.

All -

Plugged my S in when I got home yesterday, car finished its standard charge by 5:30pm with 241 rated miles - I left it plugged in. This morning the cold night had reduced the rated range to 222 miles. I started heating the cabin about 30-35 minutes before I needed to leave. Just before I left I looked at the app and saw that not only was the cabin being heated, but the car started charging again (towards standard charge).

I was quite surprised.... I'm "guessing" that it noticed that as it was heating (perhaps drawing power from the pack and not the plug), that it was not "topped" off at standard charge and decided to start charging again. When I left I did have regen limited a bit - but I am guessing that was because I didn't give it enough time.

Anyone else see this behavior?

Aaron

You can't conclude that the pack heater wsn't running for a couple of reasons. First of all it is very obviously adjustable power (probably PWM). Secondly even at full power charging in cold conditions I don't get full regen when I unplug. I conclude that either the pack heater doesn't try to heat it enough for full regen, or that it cannot.

The app takes so long to load and connect that it is useless to me right now. By the time it connects my phone goes I to standbys and I have to wake it up and start the process all over. I tried opening it and walking 5 minutes to my car and it was still loading by the time I got there so I couldn't really utilize it.

I've seen that happen a couple of times. The app needed a force-restart. It should never take more than a few seconds to load. If you're having trouble with it, always try the force-restart method. (And report the trouble here so Tesla's aware of it)

- - - Updated - - -

All -

Plugged my S in when I got home yesterday, car finished its standard charge by 5:30pm with 241 rated miles - I left it plugged in. This morning the cold night had reduced the rated range to 222 miles. I started heating the cabin about 30-35 minutes before I needed to leave. Just before I left I looked at the app and saw that not only was the cabin being heated, but the car started charging again (towards standard charge).

I was quite surprised.... I'm "guessing" that it noticed that as it was heating (perhaps drawing power from the pack and not the plug), that it was not "topped" off at standard charge and decided to start charging again. When I left I did have regen limited a bit - but I am guessing that was because I didn't give it enough time.

Anyone else see this behavior?

Aaron

Yes I've seen the car initiate charging when I turn climate control on ... and only if the rated range is low enough.

You should try killing the app and then restarting it. You can do that usually by going to the home screen (or another application), holding the home button, and dragging it off the recent apps list. That's the case for any Android 4.0 or higher phone. It may be different if you're running an older version of Android or your phone manufacturer has that feature customized.

It seems while not actively using the app, the car goes into a power/bandwidth saving mode. In that state, it may take some time for the app to respond, and it appears to be a bit finicky with how it handles that timeout. While they tweak that bit of code, you can do the kill/restart trick to hopefully have the car in an "active" state by the time you restart the app.

I think it would be neat to have the pano roof vent feature extended to the windows in a future release. For instance, all the windows in the car could be lowered half an inch. That way you would get some cross ventilation, which would passively cool the car more effectively than just opening the pano.

The app is pretty awesome, but so far I've only used it through bluestacks. It won't let me login to the app using my HP Touchpad on cyanogenmod. I'm anxiously awaiting the iOS release.

i went into settings and changed the app size to tablet and fiddled with keyboard (turned off various checkboxes) and closed & restarted the app and i was able to sign in. unfortunately for me, no cars linked to my account yet. lol not surprised though.

I am dying here! WTF is taking applestore so long!!??!

I don't see any evidence that Apple is to blame here. The approval process is pretty smooth now, and determinable.

Once approved, it is up to the developer to push the button to release the App (if and when he so chooses). The actual release process is automatic and pretty much the same between Apple and Android - they say up to 24 hours, but my experience is that from pressing the button it takes less than an hour to release to the stores.

Given the two explanations that (a) Apple is going out of their way to block your App, or (b) TM haven't hit the release button yet, I would go for the simpler one (Occam's Razor).

I don't see any evidence that Apple is to blame here. The approval process is pretty smooth now, and determinable.

Once approved, it is up to the developer to push the button to release the App (if and when he so chooses). The actual release process is automatic and pretty much the same between Apple and Android - they say up to 24 hours, but my experience is that from pressing the button it takes less than an hour to release to the stores.

Given the two explanations that (a) Apple is going out of their way to block your App, or (b) TM haven't hit the release button yet, I would go for the simpler one (Occam's Razor).

Clearly the evidence is that Apple is to blame, but there is no evidence it is malicious. They are just subjecting the Tesla app to their normal slow review process.

Clearly the evidence is that Apple is to blame, but there is no evidence it is malicious. They are just subjecting the Tesla app to their normal slow review process.
I don't see how this is "Clear". We have not gotten any word from Tesla that they submitted the app to Apple for release AND that Apple is holding things back. If we are to believe previous hearsay, then Tesla did submitted the app to Apple, had it approved, and was waiting for the Android version to be ready before they pushed the button to release it. I'm thinking that they have found some problems after the Android beta version was released and are working to correct them.

At my factory tour last week I was told that Tesla is waiting for both android and iOS apps to be completed before releasing either one of them. He said one was already done and they were waiting for the other to be completed. They wanted to release both apps at the same time to avoid showing favoritism.

For this reason I tend to believe that Apple is causing this delay.

I don't see how this is "Clear". We have not gotten any word from Tesla that they submitted the app to Apple for release AND that Apple is holding things back. If we are to believe previous hearsay, then Tesla did submitted the app to Apple, had it approved, and was waiting for the Android version to be ready before they pushed the button to release it. I'm thinking that they have found some problems after the Android beta version was released and are working to correct them.

It is most likely that Tesla submitted both apps at the same time. Android does not have a review delay and Apple does.
All of the mobile app development I have been involved with builds both in parallel and the Android apps are immediately available and the iOS ones are delayed due to review.
This is the most probable scenario to me until I see evidence otherwise.
If you are waiting for the iOS version, you should hope this is the case, because if it hasn't even been submitted - the wait will be longer.