Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: Android Beta Version introduced!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of the mobile app development I have been involved with builds both in parallel and the Android apps are immediately available and the iOS ones are delayed due to review.

Seriously? A parallel development ends on exactly the same day?

By comparison, OVMS development on the iPhone and Android started at about the same time. The iPhone version was out first. Nothing to do with Apple approval times - it just happened that iOS development was quicker in this case.

When I'm developing for iOS, I complete a working version and submit to Apple with a hold-before-release setting. I then work through the review process - which can take 5 or 6 days if clean, or longer if there are issues, until approval is obtained. From then on, it can be instantly released - and completely under my control. Updates to the App work the same way (but the approval process is much quicker and more likely to go through without issues).

I repeat: there is no evidence that the delay here is Apple's review process. It may very well be (if TM submitted it for approval late, or there were other problems during the review process) - but there is no evidence to suggest that. Given that the iPhone version has been shown running on real iPhones for 10+ months, I doubt it.

Yes, i agree... i did a similar test with similar results.. but i noticed that even when i left the climate control on for 45 minutes the regen dotted line was still limited to around 40 kW.. the limitation did not go away completely - so i am thinking that the battery pack is being warmed only because it is drawing power to heat the cabin -

I've been using the app for about 2 months and have been using the pre-heat religiously. In most cases, after pre-heating, if it is freezing or colder, I get into the car and regen is limited to 45 kW (compared to starting at 15 kW if I don't pre-heat).

It does appropriate pre-heating of the battery pack but handles it conservatively.

Seriously? A parallel development ends on exactly the same day?

By comparison, OVMS development on the iPhone and Android started at about the same time. The iPhone version was out first. Nothing to do with Apple approval times - it just happened that iOS development was quicker in this case.

When I'm developing for iOS, I complete a working version and submit to Apple with a hold-before-release setting. I then work through the review process - which can take 5 or 6 days if clean, or longer if there are issues, until approval is obtained. From then on, it can be instantly released - and completely under my control. Updates to the App work the same way (but the approval process is much quicker and more likely to go through without issues).

I repeat: there is no evidence that the delay here is Apple's review process. It may very well be (if TM submitted it for approval late, or there were other problems during the review process) - but there is no evidence to suggest that. Given that the iPhone version has been shown running on real iPhones for 10+ months, I doubt it.

Woah, let's all calm down a bit here. There's no evidence for anything. All we know is there's an Android app now and an iOS one on the way at some point. There are a multitude of reasons for why that could be, but speculation gets us no where and we should just wait for a bit before grabbing our pitchforks :)

I've been using the app for about 2 months and have been using the pre-heat religiously. In most cases, after pre-heating, if it is freezing or colder, I get into the car and regen is limited to 45 kW (compared to starting at 15 kW if I don't pre-heat).

It does appropriate pre-heating of the battery pack but handles it conservatively.

thanks FlasherZ, I got the same result after a 2 hour pre-heat / pre-cool test... My car was parked outside in -8C temperature and I ran the climate control for 2 full hours to see what the max regen I would get, and it was the same 40 kW or so... So the battery does get heated, but to a limited amount.

during those 2 hours my rated kms went from 330km to 280km , although it was cold outside.

- - - Updated - - -

Preheated the cabin before leaving this morning. App worked perfectly. Location function stopped working this afternoon and hasn't worked since. Mmmmm? Anyone else experiencing this?

I find sometimes that after you run the app, and then open it again ( as its running in the background ) it sometimes stalls on the circling loading animation...I find I have to "kill" the application and restart it, and it works fine...this happens quite frequently for me..but keep in mind, that I am playing with the app a lot as well.

Woah, let's all calm down a bit here. There's no evidence for anything. All we know is there's an Android app now and an iOS one on the way at some point. There are a multitude of reasons for why that could be, but speculation gets us no where and we should just wait for a bit before grabbing our pitchforks :)
PITCHFORKS, PITCHFORKS, PITCHFORKS!:cursing:

A few times I've opened the app, and on the Location screen, there isn't a map, but the grey charge bar, without the green charge overlay on it. If I close out the app and restart it's fine. Anyone else see this? My phone is a HTC Evo LTE running Android 4.1.1

Otherwise, the app is awesome, and blows away the OnStar app for the Volt, both in speed and functionality. I too did the horn test earlier today, and it was literally a one second delay...

I'm using it on Bluestacks... and all works well except the "Location" tab. Hitting that tab on the app while in Bluestacks crashes the Tesla app and puts me back to the Android home screen. Happening to anyone else?

Yay! Downloading it now!

... and here it is

Img_1464.png

Interesting that it's got my color right but my wheels wrong (summer wheels are grey).

Last edited:
Just installed it. It seems to honk my horn just as well as the Android version running on BlueStacks. :)

I'm sure we will see an official blog post tomorrow officially announcing both apps. It's pretty obvious at this point that Tesla set a release date for the app of this evening, and that the app was not stuck in Apple's review process. Not sure why they didn't release both simultaneously...

Last edited:
oh thank goodness!

iphone app is great. really smooth, responsive. (iphone 5, latest public release software). all functions work well, including location (which failed miserably on the android/bluestacks config). so happy.

(one note, my interior cabin temp seems to still be off. reads 72ºF and i know it's much closer to like 60 at this moment. i wonder if this is pointing to a general sensor issue with the cabin, seeing as we (i and others) have had trouble getting the climate system to adequately maintain/sense actual temperatures... i may take a fluke temp meter out there one day soon and measure actual differences between what it says and what it is...)

yay, iphone app. which incidentally scales very nicely on ipad using the 'x2' button. not jaggy or ugly in any way, just fills the screen. excellent!

... well, another anxious (read: annoyingly impatient) new tesla owner milestone crossed. check. √.

It's pretty obvious at this point that Tesla set a release date for the app of this evening, and that the app was not stuck in Apple's review process. Not sure why they didn't release both simultaneously...

I would suspect it has something to do with ensuring the robustness of their system before opening the floodgates. Call it a 'soft-open', if you will. Since (according to TMC highly scientific poll done awhile ago :wink:) there seems to be more iOS users, Tesla rolled it out to the Android platform to make sure there weren't any major reliability issues missed with the beta. To put it in SpaceX terms, they wanted to test-launch the rocket before going to space!