Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition for tow hitch on the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case there is a lack of reasons why a regular towing hitch for the Model S makes sense, read the comments on the petition page Supporter comments · Elon Musk: Towing hitch for Tesla Model S · Change.org
(it's quite a PITA to press "Load more", turn off CSS and you get them all at once)
I saved this page and whenever I get the chance to talk to a Tesla official I will give him the comment list in paper. 1200 good reasons for a regular towing hitch for the Model S.

Some additional reasons for me: 1st I thought to buy a Model X. Towing hitch, no problem. But then I found out: the Model X is not a big as it seems. Especially its cargo space is very limited as Bjørn Nyland demonstrates in his video on youtube:
>
So, a 7 or 5 seater was no option to me. 6 seater would have been the choice, but still no more than 150cm maximum length for cargo. And not much height because of the 3rd row of seats. Bjørn Nyland comments: the Model X is good for transportation of people but not for cargo. Now I wanted to know, how is the Model S compared to the Model X.
I had to search quite a long time but then I found out: for long cargo the Model S with folded rear seats offers almost 200cm of length (this is what I found, correct me if I'm wrong). So, for cargo people the Model S seems the better choice. And cargo people need a towing hitch. Period.

Just a few words to the situation in Germany. Cars need to have a special document with all major specifications of the car. It's called "Fahrzeugschein" (well, in fact there a two documents, but I simplify). There is a category called "Anhängelast" (towing capacity) If there is a "0" in this category, no chance to legally tow anything. Yes, in Germany everything is allowed, except to get caught. In some EV forums pictures appear where EV are towing trailers, that are not supposed to. But that's not a solution to the masses.

So, if Tesla wants me to buy a car from them and many more people all over Europe as you can read from the comments, a regular towing hitch would be a very convincing argument. And for Tesla there should be nothing more convincing than money walking out the door. I hope some people at Tesla read this.

Reactions: GSP and lklundin
Model S is great at towing!
attachment-php-attachmentid-113148-stc-1-d-1456707401-jpg.165662

Hell they allow "auto-pilot" in beta, but you can't approve a tow hitch??? Which one has more liability ?

Facts:
Both sleds are exactly the same (S90D and X90D) share the exact same parts on the basic drive train.

I have hitches on both Teslas - while I have never towed with this car - I have with every car I have owned - this car would do great with its well planted center of gravity and 5000 lbs of mass. I personally installed one of the hitches and gave the video instructions to the local U-Haul Center to install the second.

The U-Haul technician who installs 5 hitches a day, told me the the Tesla is built like a tank - he suspects the hitch can easily handle 5000 lbs and says that their are worse products on the market that are rated at higher loads. He also commented that
Torklift Central | Home Page was really well built product and wanted to know where I got it.

That alone gives me confidence that the S can tow at a minimum 2000 lbs - hell my fracking Miata (MX-5) can do that and its a tin can that weighs 2400 lbs with a rubber band 167 hp (stock) - Now 250 hp & 212 ft-lbs torque (supercharged) IC Engine.

Last edited:
Facts:
Both sleds are exactly the same (S90D and X90D) share the exact same parts on the basic drive train.
If by "sled" you mean "chassis" then how do you know it is a "fact" that the S90D and X90D are "exactly the same" and have "the exact same parts"? Do you work for Tesla and have inside information about the chassis design of the two models? (Rhetorical question, of course you do not work for Tesla)

Clearly the two chassis are not "exactly the same" (this has been discussed before on TMC) although they do appear to share "the basic drive train" in common and the chassis likely share many similarities.

I suspect that at some point in the future Tesla will make some changes to the S chassis so that it has "manufacturer approved" towing capability. It is clear that in real life people have added hitches and towed things successfully, which does not surprise me at all. I doubt that Tesla will retroactively give official approval to towing anything with the current Model S because of liability issues. While Elon is obviously willing to push the legal envelope when it comes to advancing Autopilot I doubt that approving Model S towing retroactively is even on his "future to do" list.

You are welcome to disagree.

ecarfan - I don't disagree with any of your comments. If your customers desire the functional capability it should become priority!

As both a stock holder and multi-Tesla owner (with two more S's on order), I am amazed that so much effort is being expended on Auto-pilot, while the most basic functions that many of the owners really want are ignored (enhanced audio, enhanced apps, towing etc).

If you asked your user base what they thought the Tesla needed to work on - auto-pilot probably wouldn't make the top ten list. When 50% of your european market buyers and many US buyers using their cars to tow with, it should become a top priority.

History is littered with companies who ignored their customers - I don't want Tesla to be one! - Hopefully as you stated - future S's will be "certified"

Last edited:
> I have hitches on both Teslas - while I have never towed with this car [Xeno]

What, those poor excuse Eco Hitches? These are not serious trailer hitches rather bike or parcel shelf supports.

Just weld up a custom hitch bar directly across the rear bumper mounts.* Any competent welder can do this. Or get one from Tesla i.e. the ModelX trailer hitch which is rated at 5000 lb. It should fit right onto the ModelS. A friend who owns an MX can order the part for you.

If an MS owner can deliver their car to the UHaul Hitch Headquarters, Tempe, Arizona, they will make one up from scratch and you get to keep one for yourself. These would have the full 5000 lb rating if not more. Call UHaul - maybe they have one for sale. They have one for the Roadster (I bought but haven't mounted yet).

* search here for my MS hitch made using the aluminum crossbar factory issued on early sedans (not a Blog but rather a detailed posting).
--

Thanks for digging this out. Yeah, on my test run I was feared of having to shed load due to running out of battery so chose disposable items that were cheap and environmentally friendly. Turned out not to have all that much energy cost and easily made the 140 miles to Cheyenne SC with this load. I've hauled somewhat larger (5x8) trailers across the country with the MS.

A custom welding shop will use steel to fabricate your tow hitch which will go the full width across the bumper mounting pads. Steel is better in this application than the aluminium I modified, plus allows using a full-sized 2x2 inch receiver rather than the 1.25 x 1.25 that I used. In fact it would have been simpler and cheaper for me to have done this from the start, and given me a bullet-proof hitch as well. If you are hauling a 5000+ lb boat only 20 miles, battery economy is moot but a steel hitch is required.
--

Hell they allow "auto-pilot" in beta, but you can't approve a tow hitch??? Which one has more liability ?

Facts:

I have hitches on both Teslas - while I have never towed with this car - I have with every car I have owned - this car would do great with its well planted center of gravity and 5000 lbs of mass. I personally installed one of the hitches and gave the video instructions to the local U-Haul Center to install the second.

The U-Haul technician who installs 5 hitches a day, told me the the Tesla is built like a tank - he suspects the hitch can easily handle 5000 lbs and says that their are worse products on the market that are rated at higher loads. He also commented that
Torklift Central | Home Page was really well built product and wanted to know where I got it.

That alone gives me confidence that the S can tow at a minimum 2000 lbs - hell my fracking Miata (MX-5) can do that and its a tin can that weighs 2400 lbs with a rubber band 167 hp (stock) - Now 250 hp & 212 ft-lbs torque (supercharged) IC Engine.
I have also put a hitch on every Miata I have owned, including the ND. I have never had a problem towing with these light cars. I probably wont put a hitch on my wife's car, but if an S replaces my Miata, the first thing i will order will be a hitch. With a 4X8 garden trailer, my Miata turns into a 1/2 ton pickup. I picked up a refrigerator at Lowes last month with my Miata.

John

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
For the people who have ecohitch, do you leave the hitch in the car or do you take it out when not used? I know there is an undercover part to close the hole at the bottom if you take out the hitch from the frame but that doesn't apply to the refreshed model S. Just wondering what options there are in closing that hole.

I just got my ecohitch installed last month.

I use my hitch for bikes only (we contemplated using it for bagged skis on a platform-style carrier, but so far have decided against) and I do take it off when not in use for a few weeks. The main reason is that there's a restaurant I visit frequently which has a very steep driveway entrance, and when I have the hitch receiver in, and forget to put the suspension in "very high" before I make that turn into the parking lot, the bottom of the receiver scrapes asphalt.

Aside from that, I'd probably leave it in all the time.

I leave both 2 inch receivers in all the time. I have geo-located air suspension "raise" points - the hassle of removing it then not having it when I need it, just adds more time to put other racks and stuff on.

Love mine - keeps the crappy stuff out of the car and extends the useful cargo carrying capacity.

ecarfan - I don't disagree with any of your comments. If your customers desire the functional capability it should become priority!
As both a stock holder and multi-Tesla owner (with two more S's on order), I am amazed that so much effort is being expended on Auto-pilot, while the most basic functions that many of the owners really want are ignored (enhanced audio, enhanced apps, towing etc).
I certainly agree that Tesla should be responsive to its customers needs. I also own TSLA and two Tesla cars. Personally I am glad that Elon is so focused on Autopilot because I think that autonomous driving is the future of personal mobility and the sooner it gets here the better, for the public and for Tesla.

I understand that some people want better sound, towing, more apps on the center screen etc. Those things mean little to me, but we all have our wish lists. At the top of my "future features" list is the ability for my Tesla to be able to drive itself more safely than I can in as many different conditions as possible.

Because Elon has stated that the Model 3 will have towing capability (I assume as an optional package, just like with the X) I am confident that in the future the S will also have towing capability. I just can't predict when that will happen.

Reactions: mblakele
You can tow damn near anything with any vehicle. You just have to forget about warranties and be willing to do the mantainence needed. Years ago I towed a 23 ft cabin cruiser with a 150 hp Pontiac. I had a full equalizer hitch on it 5 gallon radiator and a deal with a transmission shop to rebuild the tranny every 2 years. Didn't have to rebuild the engine til 130,000 miles. A car is a tool. Use it as you need and be prepared for the consequences.

Reactions: jaguar36
I find with some of those sudden needs for extra clearance (e.g. the restaurant I was talking about) I can be about to zip by, then make the turn, and the auto-raise doesn't always quite do it in time. But I guess the other answer is to just set the auto-raise point a few hundred yards up the road.

Don't like scraping anything on the ground, so scraping the receiver a few times at that pizza place just led me to keep it out when not in use.