Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After-market tow hitch on refresh Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone put a tow hitch on their refresh Model S LR? I read somewhere that these aftermarket hitches can cause issues with the USS sensors, but presumably this is not an issue with the vision-only vehicles. I also read that Tesla won't enable tow mode for aftermarket hitches. Does this matter? Thanks

Read through this thread here. Tesla won't enable tow mode for aftermarket hitches and no factory one was ever offered for the current refreshed S in the US. Same goes for the Model 3.

The thread linked above has a lot of good info. It's worth reading. For a short answer, I installed the Torqlift hitch on my 2022 Model S LR, as well as a trailer light wiring harness, and I've had no issues with the USS, or anything else. By "tow mode," I assume you mean trailer mode, since tow mode would be for when your car is being towed. I have not found any need for a trailer mode. When you're backing up, the sensors will go a little crazy, but I find them easy to ignore. I always have Joe Mode turned on anyways, which is supposed to lower the volume of alerts. Not sure if that works for the USS alerts, but I don't mind them. Again, it's only when you're backing up. Trailer mode does have some affect on Autopilot features, and FSD, but I'm not exactly sure what. I would say if you use either, just be careful with the lane changes. It does not account for the additional length with the trailer and it will try to make lane changes where it shouldn't. If you use FSD, I would change the profile to Chill, and always choose "minimal lane changes for this trip."