Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Perspectives on Elon's Perspectives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently reading "Superintelligence" by Nick Bostrom. It's on Elon'sreading list. THIS is the treatise that makes a very high resolution case for AI resulting in Superintelligence (book surveys several other ways this could be achieved not just AI) as humankind's last invention. Period. For better or worse. Great read IMO

I'm currently reading "Superintelligence" by Nick Bostrom. It's on Elon'sreading list. THIS is the treatise that makes a very high resolution case for AI resulting in Superintelligence (book surveys several other ways this could be achieved not just AI) as humankind's last invention. Period. For better or worse. Great read IMO

I'm reading this too - very interesting although it's hard to get through more than 30 or so pages at a time! I'm sure Elon read it in a night though...

Reminds me if this episode of star trek. The planet is so technologically advanced because their ai "the custodian" does all the thinking for them to the point they themselves don't know how things worked and just relied on the ai.

Can the title of this thread be changed? It makes me cringe every time I read it - would work better as a headline on Fox News!

I imagine Elon does't read this forum but if he did, seeing the title and the content of this thread (AI concerns) would probably make him think we think he is wrong for having those concerns, which I imagine many of us share at some level.

Make faster computers and more complex programs...that's all fine, but it's not AI. AI is more like trying to create machine-based life. Quite frankly, I'm not sure why anyone would ever want that, or bother researching it, unless they just want to play God. It's intentionally removing human control from the machine. I'm not saying it would be the end of humanity, but I don't see where any upsides are. Perhaps at best, the AI is actually not all that smart, and we end up with domesticated machine pets. And if it's smarter than us, that's a huge risk. It's like saying "You know what? I don't want us to be the top species on the planet any more. I'm going to create a superior life and see what it does with us.". In which case, lets hope the AI is really really nice, or we keep it successfully caged, or that we kill it with our numbers before it kills us with it's superior capabilities. And as you can see, I've now reached the Terminator scenario.

I'd say crazier is the man researching/developing AI than the one suggesting the doom it may bring.

Can the title of this thread be changed? It makes me cringe every time I read it - would work better as a headline on Fox News!

I imagine Elon does't read this forum but if he did, seeing the title and the content of this thread (AI concerns) would probably make him think we think he is wrong for having those concerns, which I imagine many of us share at some level.

Agreed! +1 for title change.

Okay, renamed the thread. Elon sees the world differently than we mere mortals, hence the title.

In the spirit of Lyndon's recent comments:

whoa.jpg

Okay, renamed the thread. Elon sees the world differently than we mere mortals, hence the title.

Great creative thread title, instead of a cringeworthy one.

Small acts of kindness make this world a better place.

I was thinking about the fact that Elon has been very visionary and "ahead of his time" with many of his concepts, and that he has a way of succeeding with ventures that may at first seem unlikely. Also did you hear that interview with Lyndon Rive (his cousin and CEO of SolarCity) who said it sometimes seems like Elon can "see the ones and zeroes" (the movie Matrix reference) and that he has many times told Rive to "drive in to a pothole in order to avoid hitting an invisible wall". Now this coupled with Elon's many statements regarding the dangers of AI got me thinking:

attachment.php