Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a Plaid- Some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone-

I'm a new member here, and if any of you are on Lamborghini-talk you recognize my username.

I could've searched most of this, and I did read up quite a bit, but figured i'd ask anyway.

The 21 plaid I just bought has a considerable amount of rock chips in front of the rear tires. Tesla did a lousy job with the PPF. How many of you have this issue?

Has track package come out officially? How do you guys like it if so?

Which charger do you guys use? Mine didn't come with one, so I'm considering what to get. What's it normally cost at the supercharger?

Anything in particular I should know, or upgrade on this car? Some downfalls that you guys have come up with good solutions for?

I'm mostly a Lamborghini guy, have a bunch of cars, but bought this to get my feet wet in the EV world. Looking forward to chatting and reading up on here.

Rock Chips: Yes, common problem. You can purchase a larger PPF strip from Amazon and install it yourself.

Track package: Yes, it is out, but not a large number of installs. Search YouTube for impression videos

Tesla Charger, Level 2. I have never used a supercharger, but the prices vary by time, date, and region.

Things to know: Keep the charge limit around 80% unless you are going on a long trip where you need the range. Use superchargers as little as possible as high charging rates may be detrimental to the battery. Keep an eye on the inside edges of the rear tires as camber may cause additional wear. Search this forum before you start making modifications and/or repairs. Mistakes can be costly (and/or deadly).

Joe

Reactions: byeLT4
Welcome to the gang! I love looking at lambos :) such beautiful creatures!

Anyway, onto plaids
1. The Tesla ppf at that rear spot is terrible. It’s not even self healing ppf if you ask me, it’s just some plastic crap. Get it removed, get new ppf installed and if you can get it all the way from the front door rocker panel to the rear spot you mentioned. Go higher at the rear spot by about 6 inches.

2. Supercharging is fine and not more than $20-$30 each session, but keep it between 20%-80% battery charge. The battery is happiest between that range. Do not let the car sit below 10% or above 90% for a long time. Battery degradation becomes a factor at those extremes

3. If you’re going to park the Plaid at the same spot in your garage, get a wall connector charger from Tesla’s online shop. It’s the best 240v charging solution out there. If you’re going to use a mobile charger , get the Tesla mobile charger. It’s the best for the price.

4. On trackpack, I’m waiting to see if the only benefit is the 200mph unlocking or if the suspension / handling gets improved.

5. The Tesla original brakes are sub optimal - a lot of people will argue this saying they’re tested to be leading in stopping power, but mine weren’t good so I replaced rotors (mountainpass performance) and pads (Gloc R12). Track aggressive pads are just fine for normal driving because most of the stopping is regen anyway and the latest track compounds don’t squeal - at least mine don’t.

6. Oem Suspension is mass market and fairly non-adjustable with rubber bushings that make handling a bit squishy - im a performance handling person, so I replaced most suspension links with adjustable ones from mountainpass. I basically bought everything mountainpass makes for the plaid - including the wheel studs :)

7. The front of the car lifts a lot under acceleration. It’s because of the slight parachute like design under the front skid plate (the front lip is a good 3” higher than the floor of the car (you’ll see when you look at it). I got the Unplugged Performance front lip. Car is not lifting much now

8. Wheels - the Tesla stock wheels are quite heavy as they’re mass market cast wheels. This reduces the handling feeling by a lot. Just replacing wheels with lighter forged ones makes a huge difference in steering. Be careful about tire load ratings Ty Pugh. Do not go under 102 load rating. This is a 5000lb car and you will have tire blowouts under 102 load rated tires. So don’t even think about 22” wheels . Even 21” tires are barely at the limit and having issues with sidewall wear. I settled for 20” wheels

That’s all I have

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: StevenSD and unk45
Thanks for the responses. I ordered a mobile connector with a 30am adapter which will give me 14 miles per hour. This will require very little effort to retrofit my existing outlet. I ran some 3/4" conduit when redoing my basement from panel to close to garage, so it wouldn't be terribly hard to finish the install for the Wall charger, but I will still have to cut some drywall in the garage to make it happen. I may do that if the mobile connector doesn't satisfy me.

I will look into the suspension parts, does this solve the camber issue?

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
Thanks for the responses. I ordered a mobile connector with a 30am adapter which will give me 14 miles per hour. This will require very little effort to retrofit my existing outlet. I ran some 3/4" conduit when redoing my basement from panel to close to garage, so it wouldn't be terribly hard to finish the install for the Wall charger, but I will still have to cut some drywall in the garage to make it happen. I may do that if the mobile connector doesn't satisfy me.

I will look into the suspension parts, does this solve the camber issue?
Not every car has a camber issue. The problem is that the camber is non adjustable . Some cars come with good camber some are out of whack. Irrespective each person likes their car to feel a different way and that is why camber and toe adjustability is so important. You want the car to fit your driving style, not the other way round.

Jesse at @MountainPass is absolutely fantastic. I’d highly recommend buying ALL their Plaid stuff if you want to be permanently pleased :)

Congratulations. You will find that the Plaid, while comparatively boring, is consistently faster in a straight line than any Lamborghini (or McLaren in my case) or really any supercar/hypercar outside of a Rimac. It is the perfect daily driver and foil to an ICE supercar.

Speed wasn't really the main motivator, however the speed will be appreciated. I had a twin turbo Huracan I barely drove as my Aventador was far more exciting to drive; Speed for me isn't always everything. I figured might as well go for the Plaid for all the extras. Excited to spend some time behind the wheel!