Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Performance" Hybrid to non-P Model S experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the performance front, you really should drive at least an S85. The S85 moves more like a Ferrari. Usable power is much better on the S85 than on my old '03 model BMW 330i (high-end engine, not base model).

If you want even more space then the S60/85, you need to wait for the Model X.

As for user experience, I'll add that while the S is a high-tech car, it's pretty easy to configure it the way you want and then just leave the tech stuff alone and drive. Because of that and having google maps in the car, the S with the tech package is a very easy to use, practical car.

Ive had both. This is an interesting thread - spending close to 100K for a car you aren't impressed with seems odd to me...electric or otherwise. And, comparing an RX to to Model S is an odd one too. I would understand this more if you were contemplating the Model X.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I was definitely impressed by Model S just like I was impressed by the RX back in 2005.

To give some more honest color to my test drive:
1. Sat inside and immediately fell in love with the touchscreen. I knew then that the Mercedes and Audi I was also considering weren't going to cut it for me anymore. Before the test drive, I believed that I would probably never get this EV because the future was indirect tactile input to reduce driver distractions, not touchscreens. My 2006 RX was probably the last Lexus model to have touchscreen and they followed Mercedes and BMW with the trackpad like input.
2. Slightly disappointed by the interiors, lack of storage, etc. but not a deal breaker.
3. The open floor in the front and back was exactly the same as AWD RX since both don't have a transmission tunnel.
4. The initial quiet electric drive pulling out of the parking lot didn't feel new. That's how the RX feels starting out.
5. The linear acceleration was also familiar as RX has a CVT and gets instant torque from two electric motors.
6. Maybe it's just me but the acceleration of 5.x seconds vs 6.x of RX was not very noticeable. I am sure P85D that's twice as fast as RX would've blown me away but I wasn't planning to spend that much anyway.
7. Believe it or not, but RX (even with engine on) felt almost as quiet as the Model S. Lexus is famous for quiet interiors and noise damping feature.

So why I am still buying it?
1. Even in 2005, I was looking to go electric and RX and the Prius were the only options that showed some advances in that regard. Plugin Hybrid was not even an option. I wanted my money to support this effort. Which leads to the following point:
2. What Tesla stands for and the people behind it. I want to support this company. Just how I supported Apple through the years when the conventional wisdom was that they were one misstep away from oblivion. Investing in both companies has paid off handsomely and I can afford Model S just on the appreciation of these 2 stocks.
3. Software updates. As an iOS engineer/tech enthusiast, this was huge. My RX touchscreen navigation is still using data from 2005.
4. 5+2 option. With the 5 seater RX, I always wished it had seating for 2 more for those occasional trips to the beach or whatever with friends/family. I can finally do that.
5. Difficult to explain but after looking into Model S and especially after the test drive, I came out thinking how much sense this makes. I had the same feeling after first using the Mac and iPhone. I knew at that moment that I would never go back. It felt obvious that cars shouldn't have these complicated inefficient machines when there's a perfectly reasonable alternative. Although it's not, the Model S felt like a solid state machine like a Macbook or iPhone.

Having said all that, my post was to get a sense if I was missing something in the test drive or the Model S felt vaguely familiar for other RX400h owners too, especially after owing it for a while. Irrespective of the replies, the chances of me buying any other car is 0.

My 9 year old Acura TL is faster than that and I would never consider it a performance car. The S85 is a whole different category. As a matter of fact, every time I drive the TL, I feel like there's something wrong with it, because it's so far from the S.

I know Model S has better performance but just to clarify, this "minivan" can do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. Same linear acceleration without gear shifts. Has more cargo space than Tesla and was a full second faster than the base model BMW 3 series of the same generation 05/06 :tongue:

My 9 year old Acura TL is faster than that and I would never consider it a performance car. The S85 is a whole different category. As a matter of fact, every time I drive the TL, I feel like there's something wrong with it, because it's so far from the S.

That's why I put performance in quotes. It was probably the fastest production Hybrid car/SUV for a long time. The newer Lexus models toned down the performance part of it for better MPG. And I was just trying to contrast someone calling it a minivan. But the main point I was making was that driving feel and interiors were familiar. Linear acceleration, no gear shifts, instant torque from two electric motors, quite ride all electric at times, etc. For a TL owner, Model S would definitely feel different but didn't to me coming from the RX.