Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peeling headlight covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes one had peeling and now the other one is. But from everyone at service and tesla direct it is something the have yet to fix on the standard headlights, but have fixed on the upgraded xenon headlights.

But if you knew the headlights were peeling ...

For the record, I had my headlights replaced with the xenon upgrade. But my original headlights were not peeling. I think that was a problem with the older Roadsters. And certainly they've all had problems with fogging (something they fixed for me when I still had the original lights). But I never had an issue with peeling.

For the record, I had my headlights replaced with the xenon upgrade. But my original headlights were not peeling. I think that was a problem with the older Roadsters. And certainly they've all had problems with fogging (something they fixed for me when I still had the original lights). But I never had an issue with peeling.

Same here. I still have them if someone wants to buy them.....:wink:

I had the fogging issue like almost everyone but not the peeling issue you had. The Xenon update is well worth it but that doesn't address your concern directly. Is the car under warranty and they won't replace them?

No everything is covered under warrenty, but warrentys expire or how many times might someone have to have the car taken apart during a life cycle because a defective part has to keep getting replaced.
Couldn't someone lemon law a car after the same issue three times?
Seems logical to recycle or write off a defective part and offer a realistic compromise? Now I'm not asking for the sport suspension upgrade or anything. Lol. But from service or roadster assistance it seems to be a common question.

Now I also understand that due to the nature of the car nobody buys them to save money, so most owners could splurge for the 2500 upgrade +\-

- - - Updated - - -

I had the fogging issue like almost everyone but not the peeling issue you had. The Xenon update is well worth it but that doesn't address your concern directly. Is the car under warranty and they won't replace them?

They're fogging too, peeling is the bonus :0)

Hmm. That's odd. They were great about fixing the fogging issue on mine right after it was delivered. Maybe try sending an e-mail to your Tesla customer service person saying you're not getting anywhere but you've probably already tried that.

Hello again
I started a thread asking about peeling headlights a month or so and it seems like this is a common issue among us roadster owners. So I was hoping to get some people to state their thoughts on how tesla should handle this. It seems that they are using the same headlights to replace defective headlights. Now too me it seems counter intuitive to replace a broken part, with the same part, knowing it will fail. So call me anal or picky but it just doesn't seem like tesla standards.

My hope is that if enough of us have similiar issues, complaints or worries may be able to sway the service managers or higher ups. I am not expecting free xenon headlights but possibly free install or a discounted package deal to help fix this problem for good. So power to the people, let's see how many folks want to stand up to make this happen.

Joey

I am considering to buy the Roadster so I join you :)

No everything is covered under warrenty, but warrentys expire or how many times might someone have to have the car taken apart during a life cycle because a defective part has to keep getting replaced.
Couldn't someone lemon law a car after the same issue three times?
Seems logical to recycle or write off a defective part and offer a realistic compromise? Now I'm not asking for the sport suspension upgrade or anything. Lol. But from service or roadster assistance it seems to be a common question.

Now I also understand that due to the nature of the car nobody buys them to save money, so most owners could splurge for the 2500 upgrade +\-

Lemon law? Huh?? I haven't seen a single post where anyone said they had the issue more than once. And those issues were addressed through a warranty repair. Why would you ask about a Lemon Law over this?

I keep rereading your posts trying to understand the issue. But what I see is that you bought a used car with peeling headlights (a cosmetic issue, not a performance issue), no warranty, and you want Tesla to take care of this. It's just not making sense to me.

Lemon law? Huh?? I haven't seen a single post where anyone said they had the issue more than once. And those issues were addressed through a warranty repair. Why would you ask about a Lemon Law over this?

I keep rereading your posts trying to understand the issue. But what I see is that you bought a used car with peeling headlights (a cosmetic issue, not a performance issue), no warranty, and you want Tesla to take care of this. It's just not making sense to me.

Lemon law wouldn't apply to a cosmetic problem like this anyway. The car has to be off the road for a substantial time, or returned for repair three times for the same defect which has to affect either safety or prevent the car being used. (Something close to that, anyway. I read up on it back when the Green Machine (left) was off the road for a long time for the wiring problem.)

No peeling for me either. It would seem reasonable for Tesla to pay for or contribute towards the cost of replacement standard headlamps but if you expect them give you HID lights for free you are trying it on a bit.

Get a new set of standard lights and pay $100 for the aftermarket upgrade to HID - many have here and it works great.

My headlights began peeling when they were around 3 years old. They began from the edges and are now about 80% peeled. Tesla will be replacing them under warranty but they made it clear they will not give any credit toward the HID upgrade instead.

I just don't see warranty applying to the purchase of a used Roadster. If I bought a house, knowing the paint was peeling or other obvious cosmetic issue, I don't think I'd have a case to go back to the contractor. The contractor would likely (and rightfully) assume I paid less because of the cosmetic issue. The key point (for me) is that the defect was visible at the time of purchase.

(donauker is having his replaced under warranty and that's a different issue.)

Obviously there are different situations that would vary the answer -- if there was a unexpectedly failing part that contributed to a safety issue, then that would likely be a product recall with the part replaced at the manufacturer's expense.

I keep rereading your posts trying to understand the issue. But what I see is that you bought a used car with peeling headlights (a cosmetic issue, not a performance issue), no warranty, and you want Tesla to take care of this. It's just not making sense to me.[/QUOTE

Bonnie
So they are going to replace it. I'm only saying that it seems redundant to replace them with the same product. So evey two years or so I'd have to change my headlights out? Warrenty or not it seems wrong. Tearing a front end off and on is not good for any car.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."
Albert Einstein

I own six cars and I've built cars for weld racing, lexani, vertical doors, godfather customs, twisted suspension, interco tire, bilsten, foxx shoxx, king shocks, etc. My cars have and still to this day appeared in truckin magazine and street trucks, with a feature articale in 4wheeler coming next year for my monster truck. So like I said it is a little picky but tesla is entering a new market. Most people buying these used roadsters are not paying six figures for them. So this will become a issue I can assure you, since most won't want to hear "that can be solved for 2600$".

As for lemon law, that seems like something the legal department would be in charge of. I got all my money back for my escalade because the side mirrors failed three times, so I'd assume ( ass u me ) that the lights could be used against them if someone wanted to be a stickler.

I'm not trying to argumentative. I really don't get it. I think you're missing the part where most Roadster owners are saying they've had no problem. And I'm still confused how a company can be responsible for fixing something that you knew about when you bought the car.

And not sure why that has anything to do with the fact that pictures of your cars have been published.

Telsa did fix the peeling issue and the headlights they're putting back in. They're way better than what went into the 2008's up to whatever the cutoff was in the build production.

They wanted to address two issues:

1) Fogging headlights - there's a micro heater in the headlight to help minimize fogging, not a 100% fix but way better
2) Peeling headlights - it appears a coating was placed on the headlights to prevent the hazing the plastic lens gets from aging in the sun. It turned out the sun and age caused this protection to peel. There's no coating on the new ones and peeling will not be an issue.

I think the core of this thread was that Tesla would not do an upgrade from the base headlights the HID giving cash credit from the base headlight price to the HIDs. They don't have to, they only need to address issues and the headlights were not a safety issue but they still addressed them so I'm happy they did.

My only understanding that they wouldn't do this upgrade is really stock on hand. If they have shelves of these base headlights and a limited amount of the HIDs they'd want to move the base lights 1st before offloading the HIDs. Why, because the base lights are paid for. The HIDs I'm sure there's minimal stock and they do a production run to ramp back up if the quantity runs out. I just received my carbon fiber sills and one was back-ordered so that to me makes me believe they don't keep these things laying around in big quantities.

I'm not trying to argumentative. I really don't get it. I think you're missing the part where most Roadster owners are saying they've had no problem. And I'm still confused how a company can be responsible for fixing something that you knew about when you bought the car.

And not sure why that has anything to do with the fact that pictures of your cars have been published.

Hey Bonnie.
U are confused for sure. Haha. I knew they were peeling when I bought it, but I checked with Johnny first andade sure the were covered.

I try to make it simple so u don't get it twisted.

Why replace a defective part with a defective part?

That should keep it simple for you

Hope this helps.

Dennis your a G
And being a QA guy I'm sure your input is and should be well noted. I spoke with tesla service and from there understanding they are the same headlights with no changes made to the product as far as they know. They do know that the HID kit will not have the issue since it was addressed. So when I ask if it will peel or fog again they simply said yes or that they can't say they won't. This is where I have a quality control issue.

Ok yes it's under warrenty! Yes they will replace them, and at no charge ! But knowing it will happen again seems pretty lame.

To Bonnie.
If your house is peeling and the painter said yeah I'll paint it but it will peel again in two years, how would you respond ? Maybe your in the home bussiness so this may or may not help u grasp the idea.

Also I don't want free HID lights. But a simple compromise, if TMC is paying employees to do warrenty work why not let us pay 2300$ for the light and warrenty the labor at no charge, since either way they will be spending the time installing headlights.

Also they don't even have the replacements on hand, they have to order them, but they have the HID in stock.

I think this is a easy solution and won't cost them any $$$$$