Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Tesla X headlight delay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am finally getting around to asking the niggling questions since acquiring a 2016 MX a year ago. There are two odd things about the lights that I am struggling to find answers to:

1. The headlight high beams have a noticeable delay (1-2 seconds) to come on, especially the first time and after any delay using them subsequently. I had thought both the Hi and Low were all LED, but I have concluded that the lows must be HID, even so, the delay in brightening is much more noticeable than on my 2015 MS (before I upgraded them to refresh headlights). Is this delay normal? Did these lights improve or become all LED before the 2020 refresh?

2. Though I have the lower "fog light" modules in the front fascia, I don't have fog lights. At least, this is what I have been told when I asked why I did not have the option on the screen to turn them on. As best as I have been able to tell, fog lights were standard, but the SC assured me that I don't have them (at one point, the fog light button was on the screen but greyed out and later disappeared altogether with a SW update). Can anyone confirm whether there were early MX without fog lights when they were introduced and whether I should be able to upgrade with a newer light module?

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

"Bump" and wishing you a wonderful 2024!

Can anyone at please confirm if they have or have heard of an MX without operational fog lights? I am currently trying to cross-check with Tesla again after driving in some weather where they would have come in handy. I can only see one part number for these fog light modules so the only thing I can think of as missing would be the wiring but that would also be odd.

Upvote 0
Tesla SC has informed me that there is no option to have fog lights installed or activated. They do not know if the units have no fog lights installed, if the wiring is not there or if there is some other reason. They do not know what would happen if fog light-capable units were installed but think the firmware may still not recognise them and therefore not activate them in the menu.

I would really like to hear from an MX owner who can confirm the issue or if they have successfully "upgraded" their fog lights to activate this capability.

Upvote 0
Never heard of an MX without working fog lights.

I know there were two different headlights on the early versions. The Ps had headlights that would light up the side of the road if the wheel was turned at a low speed. The early regular Xs didn't have these headlights. I think they all have them now.

I had a headlight replaced once and they installed the wrong version and my fog light on that side stopped working.

I would think that it your fog lights were just blown, that you would still have the ability to toggle them on and off in the software.

Upvote 0
Never heard of an MX without working fog lights.

I know there were two different headlights on the early versions. The Ps had headlights that would light up the side of the road if the wheel was turned at a low speed. The early regular Xs didn't have these headlights. I think they all have them now.

I had a headlight replaced once and they installed the wrong version and my fog light on that side stopped working.

I would think that it your fog lights were just blown, that you would still have the ability to toggle them on and off in the software.
Thanks for that feedback.

The headlight delay issue I will try to resolve by replacing the igniters. My MS had older SW 2.0 ones that I then upgraded to SW 3.0 versions and that improved their performance. Perhaps the same will happen here. TSC had no information on any changes to the lights.

As for the fogs:
TSC has come back and confirmed that my vehicle cannot have fog lights enabled. They were unable to clarify whether this was because they were not present (I suggested that I could buy newer lights if that was the case); a wiring issue or a feature they did not activate and will not activate. So even if I the fog lights were there or if I put other units in, they would not be activated. Which sort of sucks.

I think from what I can see is that the fog lights are indeed in the units, in fact, there. Whether there is wiring or not will require me to get behind them to have a look. If Tesla won't activate them then I will have to either wire them separately to a switch or give up and go with a light bar.

Upvote 0