Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking outside in very cold weather and not plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sorry a bit off topic: if you only have 110V/15A in america... how do you run things like aircon, performance computers, heaters etc? :O
It is common standard for household applications/appliances. Commercial grade applications (such as HVAC systems, data centers, workshops) will have 240 V or even 480 V. HVAC systems at home (at least those I have encountered so far) are also using 208-240 V and 30-50 A.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hey folks, interesting thread. Here's another question related to this.

My parents and in-laws currently only have 110v outlets at their homes and when visiting during winter, temperatures may drop below -20C.

Obviously I will want the car plugged in out of caution, but wouldn't need to actually recharge at their homes. Question is, would a 15A/110V plug be a sufficient power outlet to allow the battery heater to protect the battery in case of -20C to -30C temperatures or must I opt for installing a 14-50 plug at their homes?

I will get the same problem when visiting customers daily during the coldest winter days and cannot plug in at all or at best into a 110V outlet.

Can't help you much more than saying that the battery heater can draw a little less than 6kW (cabin heater in the S is another 6kW). Your car won't need 6kW as it will only needs to keep the battery warm, and there won't be cold, high speed air going under the battery due to driving.

110V at 15A will give you 1.6kW. Will it help ? Sure. Will it be sufficient ? Probably. It depends on how long you plan to stay and how much charge you can lose.

Thanks spottyq. It usually wouldn't be for more than 48hrs at a time. If charge ever were to get low in both cases a Supercharger is within 25km distance so there is something I can do about it if bad goes to worst.

Thanks!

Thanks spottyq. It usually wouldn't be for more than 48hrs at a time. If charge ever were to get low in both cases a Supercharger is within 25km distance so there is something I can do about it if bad goes to worst.

Thanks!
With a supercharger 25km away, it won't be a problem ! (An annoyance, maybe.)
If you ever need to use it, drive to car like you stole it (tell your wife someone on the internet told you to do so ;-) ) so as to warm the battery up. A cold battery can't charge/will charge very slowly.