Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic Roof - No Sun Shade Needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No shade needed here in Atlanta.

I will update my previous statement. Still no shade needed.

But it does let in a little bit of heat. Maybe one extra on the AC fan control on a bright day around noon. But not uncomfortable in the least. Not to mention that when the car is really hot I can open it up and let the hot air out really quickly (not that I ever forget to pre-heat/cool my car).

I love it, and wouldn't want a shade. Although it seems like we only had about 10 sunny days this summer. Rain every day.

It's a shame that the plastic covering the center brace has more than enough space for the shade...it could be more unobtrusive without the extra bulk.

As for the heat, well I assume the max internal reading (on the app) is 140f, as I frequently hit that during the week when it's parked outside, but, a few minutes of pre-cooling takes care of it, and the AC has no problem keeping up with the temperature once cooled. I do, however, have ceramic tint all around as well, so that would also help.

Summer heat started to get unbearable until we had the tinting done. The roof does let in a lot of heat and I'd still like to see that shade Tesla promised.

This is my view as well. If the car is parked in the shade, then the pano roof is just good enough to keep most of the heat out. Park it in the sun for an hour and you can feel the heat radiate. Takes quite a while for the a/c to overcome the heat as well. You either need the shade or additional tinting to really make it work in hot climates.

OK, I've had my white P85 with pano roof since last November, and now it's mid-August. I live in south Florida. I've noticed that the a/c sometimes has a bit of trouble keeping up with the heat through the pano roof; it starts off great, cools the car down, but after prolonged driving the car sometimes gets a bit warm. While it doesn't bother me too much, my wife objects. So we took the car to Dania today to have extra tint applied to the pano roof and the rear window. We are also having clear heat-blocking tint put on the side windows. I'll let you know the result.

The roof does let in a lot of heat and I'd still like to see that shade Tesla promised.

As Nigel points out Tesla advertised this feature would be included with the early Model Ss at no charge. That promise so far has not be kept. The fact remains, based on Tesla's information, that 19% of the heat load penetrates the vehicle cabin without a shade and most competing vehicles have a shade.

I am still looking for Tesla to do right by their early adopters. However, I am concerned regarding how a manual sunshade would be implemented. I certainly don't want some cheesey retrofit that would actually introduce rattles in this very quiet car. Even with a perfect implementation I doubt it would have any effect on reducing noise.

Larry

Last edited:
I am in Phoenix Arizona as well. I have the pano roof with 3M Crystalline tint everywhere but the windshield. Heat doesn't go through the glass roof to heat the seats but the sun does make the glass hot which causes it to radiate some heat into the cabin. When I get within about 1" of the glass I can feel the heat. It is not a whole lot and the AC will keep up nicely. I don't think a shade for the pano will help much as this still occurs when I use the sunshade for the front windshield. If there was a shade I would use it but I don't think I would pay more than $20 for one.

In Phoenix as well and I thought this would be a big issue. After numerous 110+ days, I haven't found this to be an issue at all. I had ceramic tint applied to side and back window the first day and that has helped considerably.

In a loaner right now that has no pano and no tint. Even without the pano, this loaner is a lot hotter than my vehicle with tint.

Fair skinned here as well, 15 minutes in the sun at noon and I look like a lobster. No issues at all with the Pano. I had my side and rear window tinted, didn't do anything to the Pano and no issues with heat here. Have had a few weeks with temps over 100 (in southern Utah)

Does the latest pano roof come with a sun shade? Does it still have the cracking noise problem mentioned here Cracking Noise coming from panoramic roof | Forums | Tesla Motors ?
I don't believe there is any reason to believe that Tesla will be installing a sunscreen for the pano roof. The issue appears to have been fully studied, the roof transmits little heat, and any sunscreen would reduce the available headroom. My most recent contact with our local service mgr indicated that a 'fix' will be install in existing roofs and new models will come from the factory with the newly improved design.

In the Texas heat (104+) I cannot imagine not having to install some extra tint up there, and I'm still not sure it would help.
Even my Jeep pano roof has screen :)
I had no issues in California, where I saw temperatures up to 109F.

Now the clear windshield... that could be a problem. But nothing Tesla can do about that legally.

Even though we did not feel much heat come though the pano, we still had 3M Crystalline 70 put on the pano panels. Don't really notice any heat at all now and like being able to look up at the sky without having to remove a sun screen. We also did the front windshield with the 70 (shhh... don't tell anyone :biggrin:) and helps cut down on the heat given the high availability of sun that we have in AZ.