Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Owner Questions on Pano Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,
Made the move and picking up my 23 Model 3 today after driving a 23 Mini Cooper SE since last Nov.
I live in DFW TX and my question is about the Pano Roof and what if anything are you in hotter climates using? Nothing, Shades/Screens or Tint..
TIA for any feedback on your personal experience.

Greetings,
Made the move and picking up my 23 Model 3 today after driving a 23 Mini Cooper SE since last Nov.
I live in DFW TX and my question is about the Pano Roof and what if anything are you in hotter climates using? Nothing, Shades/Screens or Tint..
I am living in very hot country in summer and I use the roof sunshade since first day with my Tesla. It's mandatory accessory.

Reactions: DocHolliday
I have the Tesla, but I am thinking about this one.

I bought this one, half the price of the Hansshow, and is awesome. Not cheap but works great. My wife doesn't want tinted windows in the car (yet) and it is hot as hell here in Texas lately. I have noticed that this shade alone has dropped the interior temps about 15F degrees on a hot day of 105. Without it the interior was showing about 150-155F. It not typically doesn't go over 140F. More importantly my head never feels like it is cooking on a hot day.

I'll compare that with my S that has ceramic Xpel tint everywhere including the windshield but not the roof. When parked side by side, the S is very close to the same temps as the 3 and the 3 just has the OtriFowd retractable sun shield and no tint. That is how much sun is coming in through the roof. I wish they made one like this for the S, I'd buy it immediately. I put a cloth one for the S but they all seem to sag and I don't want to glue magnets to my pano roof to hold it up.

OtriFowd retractable sunshade - Model 3

Ceramic window tint on all windows including the front. More pricey but worth it since it blocks uv unlike many regular tints. It's also a thin layer of protection if your window shatters from some impact.
👍
I bought this one, half the price of the Hansshow, and is awesome. Not cheap but works great. My wife doesn't want tinted windows in the car (yet) and it is hot as hell here in Texas lately. I have noticed that this shade alone has dropped the interior temps about 15F degrees on a hot day of 105. Without it the interior was showing about 150-155F. It not typically doesn't go over 140F. More importantly my head never feels like it is cooking on a hot day.

I'll compare that with my S that has ceramic Xpel tint everywhere including the windshield but not the roof. When parked side by side, the S is very close to the same temps as the 3 and the 3 just has the OtriFowd retractable sun shield and no tint. That is how much sun is coming in through the roof. I wish they made one like this for the S, I'd buy it immediately. I put a cloth one for the S but they all seem to sag and I don't want to glue magnets to my pano roof to hold it up.

OtriFowd retractable sunshade - Model 3
👍

I would do ceramic tint and a shade for the really hot months. I like to keep it ice cold in the car!
👍
Greetings,
Thanks Everyone for you inputs and feedback! I'm going to go for the ceramic tint and the Tesla Sun Shades and a Front Window shield. I'm fortunate as the car will be garage parked even at the office.
Thanks Again!
Tony

Tinting to reduce heat is worthless unless it's IR reflective. That's what heats up the inside. I originally did all the glass minus the windshield.
I've since had the windshield and roof glass replaced. The top glass is already IR reflective from the factory, and I don't notice any before/after difference. I will likely get the windshield tinted minimally for the IR protection.

I use the Tesla® shades for the roof. They help cut some of the heat but not entirely. There are newer options out there. I also suggest using a front shade to help tame the heat and help prevent heat damage to the dash and steering wheel.
I usually put it on when the weather stays hot, and don’t remove it till the fall when things get a lot colder.

Tinting to reduce heat is worthless unless it's IR reflective. That's what heats up the inside. I originally did all the glass minus the windshield.
I've since had the windshield and roof glass replaced. The top glass is already IR reflective from the factory, and I don't notice any before/after difference. I will likely get the windshield tinted minimally for the IR protection.
Confused. What film did you put on the Pano and Windshield/doors glass and did not get any reduction with heat?

We are the entire OPPOSITE on this with what we installed (see previous post).

I live in Houston and tint is a matter of survival. On the Tesla I tinted all the glass with Xpel Prime XR Plus. I can't remember the exact shades. I didn't want to go too dark on the roof so I didn't risk too much thermal stress on the glass. Before the tint I could not hold my hand to the underside of the roof. After tint it was still hot but I could touch the glass. I could also feel it on the top of my head. You are much closer to the glass in the 3 than the Y. I can still see out the roof if I crank my head back. The side windows are not dark but help keep the heat flux down and help me see out. The windshield is also tinted. When at work I park in the sun but keep the Cabin Overheat set to 100F. It runs a lot. On a hot day I can burn through 20% of my battery driving to work, parking, driving to lunch, home, in one day. I live about 15 miles away. I don't worry about this, I charge for free with my solar.

It is really only bad for 2 months a year. I considered getting a shield for the sunroof for this time of year but just haven't.

Greetings,
I live in Phoenix and put 20% tint on the roof. For me, it lets in just enough sunlight without baking my head. I tried a sunshade but didn't really care for the experience. FWIW, I tinted the windshield with 70% Photosync and put 35% on the side/back windows. I got a good balance between a bright interior and staying cool.

Reactions: DocHolliday