Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, we all enjoy our car. But, we'd prefer it to remain as powerful as it was when originally delivered. Not intentionally slowed down with software updates.

I'm not sure why you need such a high burden of proof. There are multiple reports of power reductions, which reduce HP, which must impact acceleration. We also have documented reductions in acceleration.

I agree it is in the 1% when it comes to first-world problems, but still, it's annoying and makes me question my decision to buy another Tesla when my lease is up.

This should keep bhzmark busy hitting refresh for awhile:
TSLA Stock Price & News - Tesla Inc. - Wall Street Journal

He should go back to that and enjoy his life instead of wasting his time posting here.

Last edited:
We also have documented reductions in acceleration
More than one? And under good robust conditions from which to draw conclusions? And supporting a conclusion that it is no longer in spec?

The trade off for getting back a few digits on your Powertools app is:

Worse battery longevity
Higher chance of needing to take car to repair and be without it
Lower resale value because of decreased battery longevity
Higher post warranty repair costs
Imperceptible effect on acceleration

That's a bad trade-off. You can stand on some imagined moral principle I suppose, but the real practical consequences are how intelligent engineering decisions should be made. I trust the Tesla engineers.

I'll take a car performing to spec, while maximizing battery longevity to minimize both cost and hassle of repairs in and out of warranty.

I really do not understand the people who never go to the drag strip but instead worship at the church of Powertools, and wage jihad against any changes in Powertools numbers, while giving no consideration to still meeting advertised specs and maximizing battery longevity within those specs.

More than one? And under good robust conditions from which to draw conclusions? And supporting a conclusion that it is no longer in spec?

Worse battery longevity

That's a bad trade-off. You can stand on some imagined moral principle I suppose, but the real practical consequences are how intelligent engineering decisions should be made. I trust the Tesla engineers.

I'll take a car performing to spec, while maximizing battery longevity to minimize both cost and hassle of repairs in and out of warranty.

I really do not understand the people who never go to the drag strip but instead worship at the church of Powertools, and wage jihad against any changes in Powertools numbers, while giving no consideration to still meeting advertised specs and maximizing battery longevity within those specs.

Sure, I will log 0-60 on my car as soon as I get some time.

They could just fix the design issue in the battery, rather than use software to cover it.

I don't care about resale or out of warranty repair costs since I am leasing.

Worse battery longevity

You continue to show your intellectual dishonesty. I have repeatedly pointed out to you that there is a real benefit to the increased horsepower that comes from 1600 amps vs 1500 amps for highway passing performance. Yet you continue to harp on 0 to 60 mph, which doesn't any longer meet the spec by the way. Nor can it do a sub 11 second 1/4 mile at 1500 amps. But of course you already know all of this.

Worse battery longevity
If any of this is important to you, by all means buy a 90D.

These are not true:

If performance is important, buy a P90DL and don't let them get away with fraudulently removing performance after you take delivery.

I really don't understand people who are alright with a company that surreptitiously tries to remove one-third of a $10,000 performance upgrade after delivery.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
it's a shame it has to come to that.
Agree. It has really taken the enjoyment from the car. My wife won't drive it anymore and I wish I could sell it for close to what I paid for it. Yesterday was one year from order date.

One thing that made the Tesla rep laugh was when I told him that if this was Ford/GM, etc, I would not have been surprised what has happened. Wasn't meant to be a joke.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
Has anyone logged the latest update? Rumor in the firmware thread is that it feels more powerful...

Did anyone ever log any real results from prior updates? By real results I mean real timeslips at a dragstrip or at least vbox? One credible source would have been TRC but they seem to have retired their P90DL.

Or was the sole cause of all the outrage and lamentations just numbers on a phone app after all?

Did anyone ever log any real results from prior updates? By real results I mean real timeslips at a dragstrip or at least vbox? One credible source would have been TRC but they seem to have retired their P90DL.

Or was the sole cause of all the outrage and lamentations just numbers on a phone app after all?

Yes, 0-60 times from CANBUS with updates at 100 Hz. There is a difference.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark