Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D wiper blades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth, I purchased ICONs back in June of 2014 from Amazon and they are terrible now. I wouldn't claim they are so much better others. Maybe it's just me. Do you have to do anything special to wipers for maintenance?

I haven't used it in a while, but there used to be a commercially available wiper blade cleaner/conditioner. It consisted of a small sponge with a groove or notch in it along with a special fluid. You would put some fluid in the sponge's slot and run it the length of the rubber blade a few times. I believe it was designed to remove any crud and "soften" the rubber. I had mixed results with it and just figured it was easier to replace the blades when needed.

I purchased the ICONS and so far they seem to be much better then the stock Bosch wipers. Comparing them side to side the ICONS are made with hard plastic on the arm part of the wiper and excerpt much more downward force onto the windshield.

I am driving from Oakville to Blue Mountain this Sunday for a Ski trip and it is forecasted for Snow so I will be able to report back on the ICONS performance in the slushy and salty mix that will be spraying up on the car.

I purchased the ICONS and so far they seem to be much better then the stock Bosch wipers. Comparing them side to side the ICONS are made with hard plastic on the arm part of the wiper and excerpt much more downward force onto the windshield.

I am driving from Oakville to Blue Mountain this Sunday for a Ski trip and it is forecasted for Snow so I will be able to report back on the ICONS performance in the slushy and salty mix that will be spraying up on the car.

Agreed. Mine came in the mail the other day and I put them on and they seem great so far.

Agreed. Mine came in the mail the other day and I put them on and they seem great so far.

Mine came, but I haven't even looked at them yet. Are they pretty easy to install for someone with two left hands and six thumbs? Seriously--on my other cars, when I'd replace wiper blades I'd buy the blades at an auto parts store, and have the guys there swap them. Are the instructions pretty clear?

Thanks!

Mine came, but I haven't even looked at them yet. Are they pretty easy to install for someone with two left hands and six thumbs? Seriously--on my other cars, when I'd replace wiper blades I'd buy the blades at an auto parts store, and have the guys there swap them. Are the instructions pretty clear?
I second this question. My skills of dealing with car thingamadongies are mostly restricted to asking someone else to do something for me...

Put the cars wiper blades in service mode on the console

On each existing blade push down on the middle button which is keeping it locked in and slide the blade out. One of mine was a little stuck and required a bit of a good yank.

On the new blades, pull the cap off (by pushing button and squeezing Tabs and sliding off) as it's an adapter for a different arm that we don't need. Then just Slide and snap it in.

Take the wipers out of service mode and your done.

Put the cars wiper blades in service mode on the console

On each existing blade push down on the middle button which is keeping it locked in and slide the blade out. One of mine was a little stuck and required a bit of a good yank.

On the new blades, pull the cap off (by pushing button and squeezing Tabs and sliding off) as it's an adapter for a different arm that we don't need. Then just Slide and snap it in.

Take the wipers out of service mode and your done.

Yes, very easy. Just press down on the square tab and they slide right off. New ones slide right on and click into place.

Thanks very much. I will take this on tomorrow!

Ok. I replaced my p85d stock bosch blades with the icon ones. The icons do a lot better than the stock bosh. They look the same but the rubber on teh stock is all black while the icons are kinda of white. So far so good. I really thought they were icons as well but i'm guessing not.

Thanks again to yobigd20 and EarlyAdopter for the instructions. My wife and I put our heads together and managed to install the Icon wiper blades just now, and it probably only took us four or five times longer than it should have. I haven't tested them in any kind of real world conditions test yet. They seem to work nicely in the garage, with wiper fluid. I'll post again after really getting to use them.

I retract my earlier statement: the Icons are not the same as the stock blades I removed from the P85D. On closer examination there are several physical differences, the most notable being that the Icons have a slightly lighter color rubber in the thinnest part of the blade, the part that contacts the windshield; and the cross-section of the backing rib that creates the curve of the unloaded blade is highly asymmetrical in the OEM blades, and symmetrical in the Icons.

Last edited:
Bosch Icon blades.

Here are the right parts (driver and passenger sides):
Bosch 28OE ICON Wiper Blade - 28"
Bosch 18OE ICON Wiper Blade - 18"

It's great that Tesla changed the factory blades to Bosch ones, but after driving in the rain many times now it's clear they aren't Icons. Lots of chattering and stuttering. I switched to Icons and they are _much_ better.

According to Bosch's website it's 28AOE (28OE can be used) on driver side and 19OE on passenger side. I assume that either 18 or 19" can be used on the smaller wiper?

I installed the Bosch icons yesterday, 28" and 19". It's snowing this am so I'll be able to test them under trying conditions.

Not directly about wipers, but I've found that if you take some cling wrap and place it over the trough it keeps the ice from forming. Note that the 18" width works best.

That's interesting. I need to go outside and check the length diff between the tesla OEM and the Bosch icon.

Fyi the 18" Bosch ICON is already about 1/4" longer than the stock Tesla passenger blade. I would think the 19" is not the correct length.

1a3c87da8be0642561f24c93cefc69d1.jpg

Fyi the unattached one is the stock tesla. The attached one is the Bosch ICON

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele