Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D wiper blades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the 18" icons and it was the exact length of the stock passenger blade.

I recommend that people buy the 18" size not the 19". The latter clips the far left edge of the windshield when the wipers are off and parked, thus preventing them from fully seating under the overhang of the frunk lid. This no doubt adds aero drag that will effect mileage. So there's a good reason that Tesla made the passenger side wiper 18".

There are definitely differences based on wiper blade manufacturer. My local auto parts store has a wiper blade lookup system where you put in year/make/model and it lists blades by a number of different manufacturers. Different brands will be different by +/- 1" for the exact same car.

For what it's worth, I purchased ICONs back in June of 2014 from Amazon and they are terrible now. I wouldn't claim they are so much better others. Maybe it's just me. Do you have to do anything special to wipers for maintenance?

I bought the ICON's in July 2014 from Amazon, and they are also terrible now. Streaking like crazy. Not sure if they're just worn out already, but the car lived in the garage all winter and has not had much use at all. The wipers worked fine initially, but their quality and longevity don't seem different from any other blades I've used.

Does anyone do anything to maintain their blades? I've heard of people using some sort of treatment on them instead of replacing them when they're streaking.

Woot has the Anco Countours today, 3/5/15. They are rated a bit higher than the Bosch Icon's by Consumer Reports (for what that's worth). Anyway, $10.99 each with Anco having a $15/pair rebate right now, making them very affordable option. I'm going to try a set.

I looked up the Bosch Icon's and they look like the wiper blades that are on my car. Is Tesla using the Bosch Icon's or are they using a lower model like the Excellence?

I can't say for certain, but I'll provide two bits of information:

1) Some time ago, when Tesla switched to Bosch blades, they were --NOT-- the Bosch Icons, but rather something inferior
2) My car was in for an "annual" service in very early December. The blades it came back with are not working as well as the Bosch Icons had, in my opinion. I'm planning on installing another set of Bosch Icons.

Thanks again to yobigd20 and EarlyAdopter for the instructions. My wife and I put our heads together and managed to install the Icon wiper blades just now, and it probably only took us four or five times longer than it should have. I haven't tested them in any kind of real world conditions test yet. They seem to work nicely in the garage, with wiper fluid. I'll post again after really getting to use them.

I realized, after directing others to this thread, from this thread,

WINDSCREEN WASHER JET / SPRAY NOZZLE - Has anyone upgraded to an aftermarket one?

(which may also be of interest to readers here), and then after responding to @bradhs above, that I never did come back and "post again after really getting to use them." So I'll do that now!

We're very happy with the improvement the Bosch Icon blades made. In fact the car came back from "annual" service about six weeks ago, with different blades on, and I just put Bosch Icon blades on again. They are definitely worth the price.

Reactions: bradhs