Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 (Post Refresh) Wiper Not Clearing Screen Properly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long shot but worth a try!
My Model S has suffered what seems to be a common issue in that the wiper mechanism fails a bit and the drivers side arm starts to hit bonnet, grinding a nice chunk from it.

Tesla replaced the mechanism and no longer hitting bonnet. The wiper blade is also now not connecting properly with the windscreen though - in the middle. It clears top and bottom but there is a gap in the middle like the arm is not forcing the blade on to the screen tightly enough. If raining I can't see.

The mobile techs have been out a few times and tried all sorts (new wiper arm, tried different blades etc.). There is no adjustment in the wiper mechanism. The arm seems fine and tried a new one anyway. They're pretty stumped. I'm fairly mechanically minded and confused myself. New mechanism in same bolt holes, new arm, new blades don't leave much else to change out.

Next step is for me to take it to the nearest SC and they'll see if anything else they can think of. It is a bit of a long journey trip for me, I'll need to leave car with them etc. and it's just been a massive pain so far! The car is well out of warranty too and the UK where I am the S isn't sold any more. Tesla have been good about it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm considering trying to bend the arm but maybe someone had same and can give me a steer or something I can suggest when I take it in.

The mobile techs have been out a few times and tried all sorts (new wiper arm, tried different blades etc.). There is no adjustment in the wiper mechanism.

There *IS* some adjustment in the armature mechanism - I just swapped mine and have the old one on the bench and popped down for a look. The bolt on the drivers wing is a small hole (no adjustment), the far side one is a large hole (same size bolt) and the bottom hold is a large oval.

I put all three bolts in and set it in the middle of the travel, which seemed sensible and tightened up and all fine, I've NO idea quite what this travel is for, but it could be some form of adjustment and MAY make a difference. I'd certainly be tempted to give it a go as you wouldn't need to remove more than the plastic trim panels to access these - Think they're 13mm, though I also needed 10mm for a couple of bits

Item 5 here in the service manual for this job (free account allows viewing)

Thanks so much for checking that. I've a feeling this could be it and had been working on basis that nothing at all was adjustable (and all new parts).
It feels like it doesn't need to move a great deal.

My account says I've no access to that link (just my normal Tesla account?) but I think you've given enough to go on!

Thanks so much for checking that. I've a feeling this could be it and had been working on basis that nothing at all was adjustable (and all new parts).
It feels like it doesn't need to move a great deal.

My account says I've no access to that link (just my normal Tesla account?) but I think you've given enough to go on!

I *THINK* it may be a different account to my normal Telsa login - I've not paid for access or have anything special , just a DIY person who's kinda hands on

IMG_20231009_121025_edit_1677045565362850.jpg

This is an image of my old motor/linkage in roughly the orientation for a UK car. All three holes have the same bolts, you can see the left point being VERY fixed compared to the others. I BELEIEVE that loosening all three and you should get a little bit of movement, the lowest is certainly oval.

Nothing is mentioned in the service manual about this, as it may be fitting tolerance, but i could also see it making a difference too.

To be honest, getting to it, doesn't take long and isn't hard. You wouldn't need to remove the wiper arms, or even the scuttle panel, let alone the strut brace. (All needed for replacement)
A Tiny screwdriver in the centre of the pop "rivets" and then ideally a V tool on the surround of them, but most bits just pull off and pop on!