Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D vs Horrid Winter Slush

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'd love to see ppl test these things out and shoot some interesting footage. to me, subaru is my favorite awd system, if tesla can beat them on their own game....wow

Agreed... it seems to have this part figured out.

**HOWEVER** day two of crappy weather, and the mix of [already] horrid weekend traffic and weather, and today's experience is a little different. The traction control remains unparalleled, and at all times on several hours of errands today I felt totally safe.

That said, driving down a nice open street, with a little snow on it and a light snowfall, steady at ~30MPH, all of a sudden I got a bit "STOP!" from the front park assist, like it saw a ghost... then shortly after the computer disabled parking assist for me. No worries, kept driving, didn't try to adjust my speed or anything, but marginally unnerving if Elon & crew aren't testing autopilot in something other than sunny California what it would have done. Pulled into first store, parked, came out, then the front camera was apparently disabled, with appropriate complaint on dash. Next store, back to both camera and park assist disabled notifications. Looked at camera, only a little slush, but oh well, no big deal. I'll stay in full control in this weather anyway, thank you.

Complaint number two: although I don't expect the car to defy the laws of physics, with the heat, almost no regen brake, and slow-a*s Chitown city traffic, I was at ~830 on the old watt-mile average! :scared:

yea, autopilot is way too much in its infancy. would not trust it , personally. not even tesla's.

I was out in Boston today as well right when the snow started and by the time I had come back to CT, there was maybe an inch or so of unplowed fresh snow. I have the S85, no winter tires and except for one turn where it pulled at the end, it didn't feel any different than last winter in my Camry Hybrid. At this rate, I might not even get the snow tires.

spoken like someone about to be taught a life lesson, the hard way. nothing matters as much as winter tires when it comes to surviving winter conditions. i just hope you dont hurt someone else along teh way.

That said, driving down a nice open street, with a little snow on it and a light snowfall, steady at ~30MPH, all of a sudden I got a bit "STOP!" from the front park assist, like it saw a ghost... then shortly after the computer disabled parking assist for me. No worries, kept driving, didn't try to adjust my speed or anything, but marginally unnerving if Elon & crew aren't testing autopilot in something other than sunny California what it would have done. Pulled into first store, parked, came out, then the front camera was apparently disabled, with appropriate complaint on dash. Next store, back to both camera and park assist disabled notifications. Looked at camera, only a little slush, but oh well, no big deal. I'll stay in full control in this weather anyway, thank you.

Were these conditions you would use cruise control in? Sounds like no. Then you shouldn't consider using autopilot either.

Going to take some driver education on this, much like it did with cruise control back in the day - don't use in heavy rain, snow, or wind. Same thing with autopilot.

Were these conditions you would use cruise control in? Sounds like no.
I may not have called out the scenario properly... it was literally like it saw a ghost. I had been driving in VERY light snowfall for several miles, with no problems at all. I'm not expecting to autopilot through a blizzard, but if conditions deteriorate to the point where the computer wants to call it unsafe and turn part of it off... fine... but this wasn't deteriorating conditions, it was a very quick, sudden drop-off by the sensor with no change in road.

Maybe it is just slush that was slowly melting and at that second covered the sensor entirely... and I did not feel the car did anything the slightest bit unsafe; it failed to a safe condition by turning the assist features off. However, lets assume something DIFFERENT... the roads are perfectly dry, there is no traffic, and I'm cruising on the highway at the legal limit of 70 via autopilot, and all is well... and then a bug gets impaled by my car, right over one of the sensors. The big-ole "STOP" comes on the dash, and then what? Does it slam on the brakes?

- - - Updated - - -

to me, subaru is my favorite awd system, if tesla can beat them on their own game....wow
Subaru does a lot of great stuff for rally racing, where they developed their AWD IIRC. I believe they have had it for the longest in a production vehicle, and certainly one of the most reliable brands out there. I put my mom in one.

But for PERFORMANCE (that is at least, in significant part, what I paid for) Audi kills it. They are always refining ways to make it better at high speed.

And yes, Porsche fans, I know you are out there too... I have never had the privilege, so I can't speak for them.