Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D shock issue (air suspension)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marc,

I'm in the same boat as you (meaning I want the car with the same suspension/shocks that I bought it with, the same "sport" suspension that my P85+ had - not the softer shocks).

Having said that, this is just becoming another issue to add to my growing list of disappointments in Tesla. WTF could possibly be taking so long to get a replacement shock that doesn't sound like a loose tool is rattling around in the rear quarter panel other than the fact that it appears to be only a handful of us with the problem and it is just not that important to them? 15,000 miles and 10 months of listening to this thing rattle and still no acceptable solution and no time table for an acceptable solution.

I'm still waiting but my patience is wearing thin on this issue.

Mike

Well, you're barking up the wrong tree as those air shocks come from Continental. Tesla is at the mercy of its suppliers, many of whom have been in bed with the traditional automotive industry for 100+ years. Why can't they get more? I dunno. Probably the same reason they couldn't get more rear next-gen seats.

Well, you're barking up the wrong tree as those air shocks come from Continental. Tesla is at the mercy of its suppliers, many of whom have been in bed with the traditional automotive industry for 100+ years. Why can't they get more? I dunno. Probably the same reason they couldn't get more rear next-gen seats.

We didn't buy our cars from Tesla's suppliers. We bought our cars from Tesla. It is Tesla's responsibility to make things right for us--their customers. As Tesla's customers, Tesla's problems with their suppliers should not be our concern.

Last edited:
Quick update on this: my service center has confirmed that the new shocks for my older, stiffer P85D suspension setup has a part number that ends in C. So the part number shared above is most likely the part for the newer, softer shocks that have been in place since April or so.

As for my situation, I have the choice to move all four shocks to the softer suspension now, or wait longer to get a replacement for my rear shocks with the C part (which is still not available apparently).

From reading Lolachampcar's posts on suspension setups, I think I'd rather wait and skip the soft suspension option. Thoughts?
Just my experience, but my car was built Christmas week so it must of had this 'stiffer' equipment. Since the replacement which eradicated the sounds, I have not noticed any difference at all. I've been very happy with the car's ride and handing ever since day one.

Please keep us posted as to what the SC finds to be the issue with yours. From what I've been told by my SC, this Bilstein shock design issue only affects D models (85D and P85D, not sure about 70D) so seeing that yours is a RWD P85, it should have a different shock design. Not to diminish the importance of your knocking issue at all, but it may be unrelated to the flawed Bilstein shocks for the D's - would be great if you can confirm this with Tesla. Thanks!
Followup to my last post in this thread. I had waited until my scheduled annual service last week to have the SC look into what was making the clacking noise from the right rear wheel area when going over rough patches of road. They were able to successfully correct the problem after a few days.

As MarcG predicted, my (non-D) P85 with air suspension did not appear to have a shock absorber issue. The same noise was present after replacing the shock. The rear liftgate was also a suspect, but "adjusting liftgate snubbers" and "lowered and acoustically insulated liftgate trim" still did not have an effect on the clacking sound.

The noise was finally eliminated by removing and reinstalling the "lower undercovers, rear wheel well covers, and wheelhouse liners." Not sure exactly what was loose, but the good news is that after it was reassembled, there's no more clacking noise.

Side note: the Sunnyvale service center is obviously a very busy place, but they went the extra mile to make sure the problem was corrected. Have always received excellent service there.

Followup to my last post in this thread. I had waited until my scheduled annual service last week to have the SC look into what was making the clacking noise from the right rear wheel area when going over rough patches of road. They were able to successfully correct the problem after a few days.

As MarcG predicted, my (non-D) P85 with air suspension did not appear to have a shock absorber issue. The same noise was present after replacing the shock. The rear liftgate was also a suspect, but "adjusting liftgate snubbers" and "lowered and acoustically insulated liftgate trim" still did not have an effect on the clacking sound.

The noise was finally eliminated by removing and reinstalling the "lower undercovers, rear wheel well covers, and wheelhouse liners." Not sure exactly what was loose, but the good news is that after it was reassembled, there's no more clacking noise.

Side note: the Sunnyvale service center is obviously a very busy place, but they went the extra mile to make sure the problem was corrected. Have always received excellent service there.

Glad to hear they got you sorted and found the source of the clunk.

Quick update on my end: the new, redesigned shocks for the original P85D suspension (with the stiffer setup pre-April) are finally in, and my car is currently at the service center for its first annual service - though it's technically the 2-year service since I'm about to hit 25k in almost exactly a year of ownership :biggrin:

Once I get my car back I'll be sure to post here again. Wish me luck!

Glad to hear they got you sorted and found the source of the clunk.

Quick update on my end: the new, redesigned shocks for the original P85D suspension (with the stiffer setup pre-April) are finally in, and my car is currently at the service center for its first annual service - though it's technically the 2-year service since I'm about to hit 25k in almost exactly a year of ownership :biggrin:

Once I get my car back I'll be sure to post here again. Wish me luck!

I don't think I have weird noise or I just never notice it because the road noise and road bumps are so loud. Wonder if the new shock will make the car less abusive on the road. It's the only thing I dislike about the car and many of my friends asked me if they can change the suspension stiffness (like Audi etc) because it's so harsh. If so, that would be great news for me (assuming I can get Tesla to change to the new one somehow). If possible can you also post what they put on the repair order? Thanks!

I don't think I have weird noise or I just never notice it because the road noise and road bumps are so loud. Wonder if the new shock will make the car less abusive on the road. It's the only thing I dislike about the car and many of my friends asked me if they can change the suspension stiffness (like Audi etc) because it's so harsh. If so, that would be great news for me (assuming I can get Tesla to change to the new one somehow). If possible can you also post what they put on the repair order? Thanks!

Good news: just got my car back from the service center, and the noise is gone! 9 months later...

They replaced both rear shocks - which Tesla calls "Air spring modules", per the below repair order:

IMG_2564.jpg

Congrats! I know it was a long wait but hope it was worth it.

Thanks, yeah it was long alright - a woman could've had a baby in the time it took to road test, diagnose, redesign, repair, road test again, and deliver the fix to my car! And I'm skipping the whole story about multiple visits to the service center, getting the wrong shocks while my car was there all week, having the tech run to HQ to get the proper parts at the 11th hour, etc.

As to whether it was worth it, well it's not like I've gained new functionality. Personally, I think Tesla should have offered me to replace the rear shock with the original design to temporarily fix the rattle, even if it were to return after a few thousand miles. At least I would've enjoyed a few or most of the 9 months I instead spent listening to the knocking sounds over very bump. I know others here had the same issue and are still waiting for their replacement as well and hope Tesla addresses it for everyone ASAP.

And while I understand the shocks are not designed by Tesla and they're at the mercy of their suppliers (Bilstein in this case), Tesla is responsible to get their customers a working solution to a problem on the product they sell and warranty - namely, the whole car. This may be a bad analogy, but if the screen on my iPhone works okay but has, say, loss of brightness over time and Apple knows their supplier needs to redesign it, they won't let me wait 9 months to get the updated part. They'll swap out the whole phone to satisfy my screen issue immediately and would happily do so over and over again (within the warranty period) until the new part solves the problem for good.

Anyway, next time something similar occurs (if it does), I know I'll press harder to get a replacement ASAP even if I know it's a temporary fix.

Last edited:
I'm scheduled to have this done Thursday.

Thanks again MarcG for keeping us updated.

Mike

Sure thing! Good luck with your service appointment, I know the rattle has been frustrating for you as well..

So, I've never had a problem with the suspension on my P85D. Should I ask Tesla to do this fix during my next service visit? Or, Tesla might proactively do it anyway?!

I doubt they will proactively do it, but if you ask to have them replaced they might be able to do it. Ask Karl at Burlingame, he knows me oh too well and has been good to me overall (much better than Thomas).

I'm not sure you need to have the problem developed and diagnosable though; they could be reserving the initial batch of supply to those like Mike and myself who have actually developed a problem with our original shocks.

So, in a month and a half's time I've almost forgotten what that noise was like. Almost...

Seriously, as an update, the rattle that was heard everytime I was in the car since virtually the beginning hasn't been heard since the shock replacement.

So, in a month and a half's time I've almost forgotten what that noise was like. Almost...

Seriously, as an update, the rattle that was heard everytime I was in the car since virtually the beginning hasn't been heard since the shock replacement.

Very good feedback Mike. BTW, did Tesla have to do an alignment as part of the repair? Oh Jeepers, I just saw it there on your receipt image....! Dughhh.

Same here! I'm really glad the noise is gone. It's been over 2 months and 5,000 miles since the shock replacement, and not a single rattle out of the new ones since!

Can someone please confirm the part number for the left hand LH rear air spring for a P85D with the performance plus suspension. These are P85Ds prior to April 2015.

My right rear airspring has developed the rattle that seems to be common with this airspring. Doesn't effect performance or handling but noise happens textured worn roads that are slightly bumpy. Doesn't happen on roads with smooth asphalt even bumpy roads. It requires that worn out texture for this noise to occur. I'm alergic to car noises and this is the only noise my car now makes and I really need to get rid of it.

I thought the part number was 6006352-07-B rather than 6006352-07-A. But Tesla thinks the current part number is the -A one which is not even listed in their public parts catalog.

So if anyone has had their P85D+ air spring(s) replaced(the right side I guess would be 353 rather than 352), please let me know what they put in.