Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D shock issue (air suspension)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could someone please post an audio recording of this sound? I don't think I have the problem, but good to know what to look for if and when it develops. We need a repository of "funny sounds a Model S makes" which could go into a children's book. ;)

Is this just with the P85D? I have a March build 85 (not D), that has a pronounced rattle from the right-rear area when I'm driving on rough pavement. The pavement that most consistently produces the sound is pavement that has been scraped in preparation for repaving.

Is this just with the P85D? I have a March build 85 (not D), that has a pronounced rattle from the right-rear area when I'm driving on rough pavement. The pavement that most consistently produces the sound is pavement that has been scraped in preparation for repaving.
I think this mostly afflicts the P models with air suspension so that may very well be what you hear. Definitely talk to your service center.
Good to hear that the fix is finally being rolled out. I've been waiting since January.

I think this mostly afflicts the P models with air suspension so that may very well be what you hear. Definitely talk to your service center.
Good to hear that the fix is finally being rolled out. I've been waiting since January.

From what I posted before, this affects both 85D and P85D models - not RWD ones:

From what I've been told by my SC, this Bilstein shock design issue only affects D models (85D and P85D, not sure about 70D) so seeing that yours is a RWD P85, it should have a different shock design.

Quick update on my end: I just got off the phone with the service center regarding my appointment next week to upgrade the cell module to LTE, and the new shocks are apparently still not available for order although they do have the new part numbers... curious to know how alandron got his last week then?!

A tesla valet showed up Monday morning with a loaner at my house, and he brought my MS back on Tuesday evening.

Quick update on my end: I just got off the phone with the service center regarding my appointment next week to upgrade the cell module to LTE, and the new shocks are apparently still not available for order although they do have the new part numbers... curious to know how alandron got his last week then?!

umm I really dont know what to say except for contacting the service center and tell them my case? The noise has been gone since the suspension replacement, and everything runs smooth for me.

umm I really dont know what to say except for contacting the service center and tell them my case? The noise has been gone since the suspension replacement, and everything runs smooth for me.

I dropped off my car this morning at the service center for the LTE upgrade and a couple minor things. Service advisor confirmed that the new, re-designed shock assembly is still not available. I did mention your case, but was explained that you most likely have had your shocks replaced with the existing design (not the new one). Since it does not affect all cars, it may very well be that a replacement fixed your noise, even with the existing design. I've asked them to look into doing the same thing as the rattle has been going on for over 4 months now.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got the long standing rattle noise in the rear suspension fixed. It involved replacing both struts (not the shocks).

Glad to hear Robin. If you have a chance, could you please ask your service center whether they replace your struts with a new, re-designed version, or the same existing part that all our cars shipped with? Thanks!

isent there something about the suspension design was changed around late marts 2015, mine p85d are build before (stiffer + suspenssion) and I have not had the problem. it might only affect cars build from april - july 2015 ? or like.
could this be comfirmed. ( my vin # is in the 70.000 range)

im runing permanently in low suspension setting, this could also be another reason why we are seen some having this isue and others not - please post your typical suspension setting.

isent there something about the suspension design was changed around late marts 2015, mine p85d are build before (stiffer + suspenssion) and I have not had the problem. it might only affect cars build from april - july 2015 ? or like.
could this be comfirmed. ( my vin # is in the 70.000 range)

im runing permanently in low suspension setting, this could also be another reason why we are seen some having this isue and others not - please post your typical suspension setting.

My P85D was built in late-Nov/early-Dec so the problem already existed in early cars. I personally haven't heard of a change in design or stiffness of the air suspension in the P85D since it came out, but if you have references to that effect please post links here.

As for air suspension settings, mine is set to Standard most of the time. I have it set to Low for speeds over 60mph (around 100kph) and set to Very High in a couple of locations, including my home to clear a high curb, and two railroad crossings close to work. So the air suspension is regularly going through different heights on a daily basis.

I dropped off my car this morning at the service center for the LTE upgrade and a couple minor things. Service advisor confirmed that the new, re-designed shock assembly is still not available. I did mention your case, but was explained that you most likely have had your shocks replaced with the existing design (not the new one). Since it does not affect all cars, it may very well be that a replacement fixed your noise, even with the existing design. I've asked them to look into doing the same thing as the rattle has been going on for over 4 months now.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad to hear Robin. If you have a chance, could you please ask your service center whether they replace your struts with a new, re-designed version, or the same existing part that all our cars shipped with? Thanks!
Marc, I have asked for the rev numbers on the struts they put in last week. When I get the email I'll post the info here.
Also for more background, my car was built Christmas week and I noticed the rattle on day one. I had the car into the service center in April to have the noise worked on and they replaced the struts. They replaced the struts with new struts from the old design (apparently) so it did not help. That's when they said they had to wait for a new design from the vendor. In late July they reported that they had arrived and I handed over the car on August 1. It took a couple days (more than expected) and they reported that it took extra time due to difficulty installing the new struts (I assumed that this indicated a new geometry with potentially different installation procedures.) Again I don't know for sure but when I get numbers I'll share.

I have a 85 D , del late March 2015, which made rattle from rear shocks. Once redesigned shocks were put in
that sound was gone
However, started hearing sound from the front- presumed from the front shocks - much softer than what came from the back.
The car is in service now for front shock replacements- although I am told front shocks have NOT been redesigned "yet"