Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D shock issue (air suspension)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IIRC, 07-A is the original P85D+ air shock. The 07-B is the updated P85D+ version. 06-A is the non-+, 06-B and C are the updated non-+ variants. AFAIK, the P85D+ stuff isn't made anymore, so not sure how Tesla is on those parts.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
So if anyone has had their P85D+ air spring(s) replaced(the right side I guess would be 353 rather than 352), please let me know what they put in.

Mine were replaced in Dec 2015 as below:
Screenshot 2019-08-28 16.30.23.png

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
IIRC, 07-A is the original P85D+ air shock. The 07-B is the updated P85D+ version. 06-A is the non-+, 06-B and C are the updated non-+ variants. AFAIK, the P85D+ stuff isn't made anymore, so not sure how Tesla is on those parts.

It's on order. They said 2 to 3 weeks. Interestingly, when they entered my VIN it told them to order the -A part. I asked them to order the -B part instead and they did for $900 + tax ($983 total).

Even more confusing, the local body shop that does all of Tesla's factory repairs in addition to end user car repairs said that the 07-A is the current part for that car according to their catalog. But the public catalog I can see only lists the 07-B and the 07-A doesn't appear at all.

I guess the thing to do there is call them and see if they can tell me who does the rebuild since the one they have is not for the P85D+.

I am curious as well.

If this is what they specialize in, and from what I gather from the website it appears to be the case, I hope they can re-valve it- if that makes any sense for an airbag suspension(?) and custom make units using compression and damping characteristics to whatever a customer wants(?)

I have rebuilt fully adjustable motorcycle forks and shocks and completely understand high and low speed compression and rebound damping, spring rates, sack etc. and on a motorcycle unlike our car these are all user adjustable, but I have no idea about air suspension. Not sure what parts are different: Is it the same bellows/bags between the cars and just some different valving or orifices? and if that is the case are these orifices easy to come by or not? If the bags are different where are they sourcing them from and how many choices do they have?

Also what about the cores that some customers have sent in off a performance model S- they must see the difference between those units and the standard units.

Maybe you have the option to send yours in and they rebuild them, and the damping characteristics remain?

Please let us know what you find out.

The crappy thing is that most folks who had this problem had it early enough to get it fixed under warranty but my car was driven 99% freeway on a 260 mile round trip commute so it has low hours even though it has high mileage.

The disappointing thing to me about this whole ordeal (for me, clunking noise coming from rear of vehicle diagnosed to be upper shock mount area) was that I had to wait almost a year for the "improved" parts. Once the parts were available, I had to bring the car to Houston (from New Orleans) to have them replaced. After they were replaced with the new parts the noise was still there just to a lesser extent. Even more disappointing, I traded the 2014 P85D+ (VIN 64272) on a 2016 Model S 90D (also with air suspension) and it made the same noise - meaning (to me, anyway) Tesla never really fixed it after two years.

Wonder if the independent dismantelers will become the go to place for these parts, at least for those out of warranty.

Had a friend that was needing a replacement for a air shock on their AMG. Ended up getting a take off part for 1/10 the price of getting one from Mercedes. Was a relatively easy bolt on.

So, I've never had a problem with the suspension on my P85D. Should I ask Tesla to do this fix during my next service visit? Or, Tesla might proactively do it anyway?!

They won't proactively fix it. That said, you might have this issue and not know. Mine doesn't show up unless I'm on abraded roads going fairly slow. If you live in an area where you you're not on rural roads and the asphalt is not falling apart, you may never hear it.

I'm assuming that it will get worse over time and become more obvious, but in a car that has no other noises currently, it's easy to hear on the right type of road.

Does anyone have the bilstein part number from the yellow white sticker lower down on the unit? I remember seeing it there with the wheel off but I only took a picture of the tesla sticker on top.

A bilstein rebuilder says the could probably service that airspring but they need the bilstein number off of it.

So does anyone know what the correct procedure ...or as correct as you can get...to depressurizing without Toolbox? My only guess at this point is to support the rear at the medium suspension height and then select the lowest setting. The system will remove air to try and lower the car but it won't lower so it will remove more air but eventually give up and then I'll have to put into jack mode.

The question is will it be enough air? The FSM says to remove the shock before releasing the inlet screw on the air spring but it may well be that I have to unscrew the inlet first which has a lot more difficult access when still installed.

So I have a new air spring ready to go in but am still holding off a bit on the hopes I can figure out what the best procedure for depressurizing the current spring before disconnecting the supply line.

Sorka,
Did you end up doing this?

My car has started sagging at the rear end when parked overnight.
Had 500kms left on ESA so I took it in... the diagnosis is that I need both air shocks replaced and it’s not covered under ESA. $2620 plus tax (Canadian).
Wondering if anyone’s done this aftermarket.