Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D performance firmware update - where is it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that update truly was the "performance" update we have all been waiting for, then it means one thing: Elon's hint at a 2.8second Model S means that a 100kW+ battery version is coming out, and the P85D will be eliminated/discontinued like the 60D was. Another blow to recent P85D owners and a great way to kill resale value like what happened to the 60D people.

Where did Elon hint at a 2.8s Model S? Also I believe that Musk tweeted that there would be no new battery announcements for Tesla automotive products for least a year after the Roadster 3.0 (around 12/31/2014).

Where did Elon hint at a 2.8s Model S? Also I believe that Musk tweeted that there would be no new battery announcements for Tesla automotive products for least a year after the Roadster 3.0 (around 12/31/2014).

In an exchange with musician Zedd (the day he picked up his P85D) on Twitter, Zedd noted "3.1 is fast enough for me." To which Elon replied "2.8s is amazing. Sure'd be great if Model S could get there. Maybe it can." Followed by "Maybe a good warm up act for April 30 event."

This leads me (and others) to believe he was suggesting an OTA upgrade for the P85D to get to 2.8 0-60. In another thread, I speculated it might be limited by a cool-down timer to prevent too much stress or heat that others have mentioned might be limiting the power (not unlike the 155mpg passing mode). Others believe it means a new battery or model. While we all know technology marches forward and a new model will inevitably dethrone the P85D, Elon was specifically talking to Zedd about his new P85D. Literally replying to Zedd's comment about his P85D doing 3.1 0-60. My logic was that it wouldn't make sense for Elon to tease a brand new owner of a P85D about 2.8 0-60 "maybe" coming in 30 days if it didn't apply to the person on the other end of the conversation.

Who knows? We'll find out in two weeks.

Would a lower sidewall profile with the 19" wheels and a specialty tire improve the 0-60? The smaller tire circumference would change the effective "gearing". You cannot go to an 18" wheel because of the calipers, but you can go to a lower sidewall height.

I noticed there is a "rematch" on that Challenger Hellcat at Drag Times where it beat the P85D in the 1/4 mile, but the HellCat had racing slicks, and the Tesla probably had stock tires, nothing was said about it. Would the Tesla beat the Hellcat if the Tesla had racing slicks?

correct, the display on the vbox rounds to the tenth and does not display hundredths.... when we pulled the vbox data files, it shows as 3.05....

@kris81 "that guy" is the same guy who has made or contributed to most of the videos comparing the "old" P85 with the P85D at different speeds and also has have made/released many of the most used drag videos of 0-60 testing. I believe he has written that the time of 3.05 was from the logs of the vbox and not necessarily the one exact run in the video. I dont think many other owners has as much previous data to compare with as fiksegts. So if he is confident in claiming a definitive 0,1 quicker I have no reason to doubt it. At least much more reliable then your butt-dyno:)

@fiksegts - very interested in what you find with 168.

Yes definitely, considering he was thinking there was a difference with a firmware that didn't even have the upgrade. Now that .168 came out with the actual improvement, I'm interested in seeing the result. I'll also be logging the inverter power output and seeing if there is a difference vs .153 and .160

Yes definitely, considering he was thinking there was a difference with a firmware that didn't even have the upgrade. Now that .168 came out with the actual improvement, I'm interested in seeing the result.

I don't know why everyone seems so sure that the 0-60 time improvement was in .168, but was not in a firmware release version before that. (I've made this point before, in at least one, and perhaps two other threads.) In the last few months there have been a few times where Tesla changed something in the firmware, but didn't document it until later. They then wound up documenting it in a subsequent firmware release.

.153 documented the increase to 155 MPH and did not document the improvement in 0-60 time. But that doesn't mean that improvement wasn't there. And of course it doesn't mean it was. I think we just don't know. All I'm suggesting is to say because something is in the current firmware release notes that it could not have been in the version before is not correct.

I don't know why people expected it in a sooner release, when .168 is the first to mention. Why the conspiracy theory thinking it came out sooner, yet the release notes clearly were only updated for .168? People have mentioned this update has a noticeable difference, yet I felt zero difference with previous updates.

I don't know why everyone seems so sure that the 0-60 time improvement was in .168, but was not in a firmware release version before that. (I've made this point before, in at least one, and perhaps two other threads.) In the last few months there have been a few times where Tesla changed something in the firmware, but didn't document it until later. They then wound up documenting it in a subsequent firmware release.

.153 documented the increase to 155 MPH and did not document the improvement in 0-60 time. But that doesn't mean that improvement wasn't there. And of course it doesn't mean it was. I think we just don't know. All I'm suggesting is to say because something is in the current firmware release notes that it could not have been in the version before is not correct.

I don't know why people expected it in a sooner release, when .168 is the first to mention. Why the conspiracy theory thinking it came out sooner, yet the release notes clearly were only updated for .168? People have mentioned this update has a noticeable difference, yet I felt zero difference with previous updates.

There's no conspiracy theory. I'm just pointing out that your concluding that it could not have been out before .168 because it wasn't in the release notes before .168 is not a valid conclusion, based on the fact that other features have been released in one firmware update version but not documented until later versions. Since that has happened before IT COULD HAVE happened this time. My saying it could have happened is different from my saying it did happen. What I am saying is that your conclusion that the feature COULD NOT have been in a firmware version before .168, simply because it was not documented until .168, is wrong.

they just happen to leave out INSANE mode is more INSANE in the release notes? I don't think so....

I will find out soon enough...

There's no conspiracy theory. I'm just pointing out that your concluding that it could not have been out before .168 because it wasn't in the release notes before .168 is not a valid conclusion, based on the fact that other features have been released in one firmware update version but not documented until later versions. Since that has happened before IT COULD HAVE happened this time. My saying it could have happened is different from my saying it did happen. What I am saying is that your conclusion that the feature COULD NOT have been in a firmware version before .168, simply because it was not documented until .168, is wrong.

they just happen to leave out INSANE mode is more INSANE in the release notes? I don't think so....

I'm not saying they did or they didn't. All I'm saying is that they could have, because they've done things just like it before.

They gave us parts of torque sleep before they started documenting it in the notes. There was one obscure reference to it someplace that someone happened to find (I think it was on the range mode information button or something), but it was not in the release notes. There were a couple of firmware updates with the obscure reference before documentation eventually happened in the actual release notes.

That's a pretty big stretch to claim they left that detail out and decided to add it back later. I would agree if I actually noticed a difference, but improved acceleration and throttle response has not been a by-product of any update on my P85D, and mine is at .160 right now. I guess I'll find out myself when the update is released, but since i'll be in Hawaii for the next 1.5 wks I won't be able to try it anytime soon, regardless.

That's a pretty big stretch to claim they left that detail out and decided to add it back later.

I haven't claimed anything of the sort.

I can't decide if you know and understand that and are just baiting me or if you really don't understand the distinction I've been making. For the last time, and then I'm just going to assume you are either baiting me or that this is a concept that is simply beyond what you are capable of understanding: you made an assertion that the increase in speed could not have been in an earlier update BECAUSE it was documented in .168. I am saying that is an invalid conclusion. I am backing up my statement with the fact that Tesla has added features in the past and not documented them immediately, with the documentation coming in a later firmware update.

THAT IS NOT SAYING, CLAIMING, OR IN ANY WAY SUGGESTING FOR CERTAIN THAT TESLA DID PROVIDE THE 0-60 SPEED INCREASE IN A VERSION EARLIER THAN .168. I have no idea if they did or not. All it is saying is that you can not be certain that the update came in 168, and not before.

I have said this quite clearly a few times now. I'm not going to waste my time saying it again.

I haven't claimed anything of the sort.

I can't decide if you know and understand that and are just baiting me or if you really don't understand the distinction I've been making. For the last time, and then I'm just going to assume you are either baiting me or that this is a concept that is simply beyond what you are capable of understanding: you made an assertion that the increase in speed could not have been in an earlier update BECAUSE it was documented in .168. I am saying that is an invalid conclusion. I am backing up my statement with the fact that Tesla has added features in the past and not documented them immediately, with the documentation coming in a later firmware update.

THAT IS NOT SAYING, CLAIMING, OR IN ANY WAY SUGGESTING FOR CERTAIN THAT TESLA DID PROVIDE THE 0-60 SPEED INCREASE IN A VERSION EARLIER THAN .168. I have no idea if they did or not. All it is saying is that you can not be certain that the update came in 168, and not before.

I have said this quite clearly a few times now. I'm not going to waste my time saying it again.

I am definitely not baiting you. The 3.1 acceleration improvement was mentioned in the .168 update release notes, and no other firmware before that. End of story, speculation, concerns- etc. This echo's my assertions there was no actual performance improvement prior to this update. Not sure why we should even discuss the possibility the improvement was there beforehand, especially since it is so minuscule.