Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Nurburgring Edition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree completely, well said David!

Elon said at a public meeting they are not interested in any race activity. He explained that those are a way to create a demand (a form of advertising) which Tesla doesn't need more of. They have more demand than they can produce.

Racing is all about being extremely wasteful with energy for the sake of going really fast on a race track that has very little to do with every day driving. I'm glad Tesla isn't wasting resources on that. There is no advantage for normal people whatsoever. Yes, you can buy a Nissan GT-R and brag it's the fastest car you can buy on the track, but let's be honest, no matter who you are, you won't be able to ever drive the car in a way where it would make a difference and your skills are no where near the limits of the car. All efforts put into making a car race-capable are wasted and 100% theoretical. Having the fastest car on the track is worth nothing in normal driving life.

On the other side, what Tesla is doing, makes a positive impact on every driver in every day use. Auto pilot, energy efficient, easy use, comfort, lots of trunk space, safety.

Sounds like more of an excuse to me. Racing is one of the best ways to build better equipment. What better way to find the weak links than stressing every component to its limit? But I suppose marketing is a nice afterthought though.

Racing is all about being extremely wasteful with energy for the sake of going really fast on a race track that has very little to do with every day driving. I'm glad Tesla isn't wasting resources on that. There is no advantage for normal people whatsoever.
That's a fairly narrow view. I would argue that a primary goal of professional racing is to introduce, evaluate, and refine technologies that trickle down to every day vehicles.

That's a fairly narrow view. I would argue that a primary goal of professional racing is to introduce, evaluate, and refine technologies that trickle down to every day vehicles.

I would agree if we're talking about F1 or endurance racing etc. Not so much NASCAR, but then thats not really professional racing. :biggrin: (Just kidding)
I can't wait for the day when a fully electric car is able to run if the field at 24h of Lemans. I'm sure that's a very long way off however.

I think it would be great if they created P85D-Dragstip Edition, even just as a concept to show (and learn) what could be done. Nothing crazy, just some things that are available to the Model-S today, plus one or two things that are available to regular ICE cars today, like maybe one more gear at 60 or 70 miles an hour, a little wider tires, traction control that could do something with those tires, maybe completely separate batteries and delivery systems for front and rear, the software would be optimized to allow the most power to flow through the system for just 1/4 mile - in other words it would know you're about to let it cool down for a bit after your (short) run. I wonder if it could break 10 seconds with the same motors it has in it now.

I think it would be great if they created P85D-Dragstip Edition, even just as a concept to show (and learn) what could be done. Nothing crazy, just some things that are available to the Model-S today, plus one or two things that are available to regular ICE cars today, like maybe one more gear at 60 or 70 miles an hour, a little wider tires, traction control that could do something with those tires, maybe completely separate batteries and delivery systems for front and rear, the software would be optimized to allow the most power to flow through the system for just 1/4 mile - in other words it would know you're about to let it cool down for a bit after your (short) run. I wonder if it could break 10 seconds with the same motors it has in it now.

No, it wouldn't. It would be unTesla. Tesla occasionally throws parties, but other than that they're all business. Totally, aggressively, experimentally business. If Tesla needs to do anything "motor sports" related, it's track work, because that's about handling sustained load. If they can do that, they can do anything.

Yes! Imagine the P85D driveline in a lightweight body with full aero!
axis_tesla1.jpg

Pikes Peak is a pretty good venue for EV racing. The record is around 9 minutes, so a quick blast without the overheating you would get with multiple laps on a race track. Monster Tajima had been recognized by Tesla. It does bring credibility to the whole EV cause.
Video: Electric Mitsubishi Race Car Obliterates a Pikes Peak Hill Climb Record - The View From The Cockpit

I would agree if we're talking about F1 or endurance racing etc. Not so much NASCAR, but then thats not really professional racing. :biggrin: (Just kidding)
I can't wait for the day when a fully electric car is able to run if the field at 24h of Lemans. I'm sure that's a very long way off however.

If you consider fast battery swapping, there's no reason why if couldn't be done.

If you consider fast battery swapping, there's no reason why if couldn't be done.

YES! I imagine if you put a fast pull out pack you could swap in while changing tires there's no reason why they couldn't. in Fact they should do that, because it would jump start the same swapping in commercial cars that could lead to making EV's more appealing to everyone. You would just need a good plan for the recharging and reuse of those used packs. It seams too that for racing EV's make more sense anyway, you don't have the weight changing the car's dynamics as the tank empties, or the fuel sloshing around, and imagine the re-gen from 220 down to 50 at the end of straights... in something like this with P85D driveline...
FRS_carxx2.jpg

It's actually worth bearing in mind the Model S is actually only a 90 BHP car in RWD form, according to the government registration documents (and this is across the range from 60 to P85).

Yes you read that correctly. Ninety!

The reason is a 200BHP ICE can keep producing 200 BHP until the fuel runs out given properly engineered cooling. The Model S can sustain peak power for only a short time. (In fact probably just enough to get the all important 1/4 mile times for the US market). I tried pushing my car at 125+, and after 30 seconds the power limiter kicked in. Note, there isn't a hard limiter, the car just starts to slow in accelerating, then the power limit kicks in.

On the roads this doesn't matter, because when you are up to speed you cruise giving everything chance to cool down, and you can start using the peak power for your next sprint from the lights. On the track the full power requirements are much more sustained.

Personally I doubt it's the power electronics, or the battery being the limit, rather the sustained load the windings in the motor are capable of. 500kW is over a 1000 amps. The windings would melt if asked to deal with this over anything other than a brief period.

Look forward to seeing the official BHP figures for the D motor cars when they land here in the UK. My guess is more, otherwise they couldn't do 155mph on the Autobahn.

If I were to bet, I'd actually say a 70D, would be the quickest of all Model S's round the Nurburgring, due to the lighter weight, and higher sustainable power output.

Even then it would be a pretty poor time. They are luxo-cruiser barges, with huge weight on relatively skinny tyres, and if I'm honest not the most predictable handling things in the world.

Pikes Peak is a pretty good venue for EV racing. The record is around 9 minutes, so a quick blast without the overheating you would get with multiple laps on a race track. Monster Tajima had been recognized by Tesla. It does bring credibility to the whole EV cause.
Video: Electric Mitsubishi Race Car Obliterates a Pikes Peak Hill Climb Record - The View From The Cockpit
It's probably worth noting that his motors are apparently liquid cooled. I expect that he wouldn't make it through the first minute of Pikes Peak without that cooling, meaning it would probably be enough to keep a track car going as long as the batteries can provide power!

His car being developed now evidently carries four motors... the 'insane' button on his touchscreen is the real thing! :scared:

It's actually worth bearing in mind the Model S is actually only a 90 BHP car in RWD form, according to the government registration documents (and this is across the range from 60 to P85).

Yes you read that correctly. Ninety!

The reason is a 200BHP ICE can keep producing 200 BHP until the fuel runs out given properly engineered cooling. The Model S can sustain peak power for only a short time. (In fact probably just enough to get the all important 1/4 mile times for the US market). I tried pushing my car at 125+, and after 30 seconds the power limiter kicked in. Note, there isn't a hard limiter, the car just starts to slow in accelerating, then the power limit kicks in.

On the roads this doesn't matter, because when you are up to speed you cruise giving everything chance to cool down, and you can start using the peak power for your next sprint from the lights. On the track the full power requirements are much more sustained.

Personally I doubt it's the power electronics, or the battery being the limit, rather the sustained load the windings in the motor are capable of. 500kW is over a 1000 amps. The windings would melt if asked to deal with this over anything other than a brief period.

Look forward to seeing the official BHP figures for the D motor cars when they land here in the UK. My guess is more, otherwise they couldn't do 155mph on the Autobahn.

If I were to bet, I'd actually say a 70D, would be the quickest of all Model S's round the Nurburgring, due to the lighter weight, and higher sustainable power output.

Even then it would be a pretty poor time. They are luxo-cruiser barges, with huge weight on relatively skinny tyres, and if I'm honest not the most predictable handling things in the world.

Thanks for the info!!