Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D efficiency up after 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will await a final more scientific verdict from wk057 but I have seen no improvement in efficiency with 6.1 in my non scientific driving. My P85+ still is a minimum of 10% more efficient than the 'd' under similar (but not identical) trips.

I will await a final more scientific verdict from wk057 but I have seen no improvement in efficiency with 6.1 in my non scientific driving. My P85+ still is a minimum of 10% more efficient than the 'd' under similar (but not identical) trips.

Not sure how one person's analysis is more scientific than another's. Everyone is using the data the car tells them.

Well, my car has definitely improved! I just went on a 60 mile drive averaging 300 wH/mile (using the awesome tacc). Parameters: Insane mode, slight rain, all fwy, stop/go thru 75mph, mostly slow going.

Man, the tacc is so awesome in bumper to bumper traffic. Just sit back and steer! It is a little too abrupt when stopping, but in spite than that, love it!

Tesla Active Cruise Control ??

Theory
Only certain people are getting the Beta efficiency improvement code released in their version of 6.1. It is a conspiracy.
No, not a conspiracy. See my post on this back a few pages (post number 30.). If my theory is right, and they are testing in order to fine-tune the software before final release, that is really impressive.

Not sure how one person's analysis is more scientific than another's. Everyone is using the data the car tells them.

I have a P85D and a P85 I can have driven side by side...

Edit: See my first test:

- - - Updated - - -

Fiance just got back... juicing up her car, and then we might try a quick run. *puts GoPros on charge*

- - - Updated - - -

Scratch that, she needs about 2 hours of HPWC love, and pretty likely her pack will be pretty warm by then. So, we'll reschedule for tomorrow morning after I bump both cars to 95% again after sitting at 90% overnight, same procedure as last time, although I think we'll do a slightly shorter trip this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt that driving style is having much affect on the data to begin with, but I guess that's a variable you can mostly take out now. If you put the D in back and have it mostly on TACC with a higher set speed, it'll copy every little acceleration and deceleration faithfully, I believe. :)
Walter

I doubt that driving style is having much affect on the data to begin with, but I guess that's a variable you can mostly take out now. If you put the D in back and have it mostly on TACC with a higher set speed, it'll copy every little acceleration and deceleration faithfully, I believe. :)
Walter

That was actually probably going to be the plan, since with the cruise set at the same speed we slowly drifted apart (P85 going ever so slightly faster).

Although I won't let the TACC brake... seems to use the friction brakes more than needed, IMO.

That was actually probably going to be the plan, since with the cruise set at the same speed we slowly drifted apart (P85 going ever so slightly faster).

Although I won't let the TACC brake... seems to use the friction brakes more than needed, IMO.

But then the D will be getting the draft effect ;). Still impressed by how much you are doing. It's hard to control for everything and you're in a pretty rare and lucky situation to be able to do as much as you are with the two cars.

I have a P85D and a P85 I can have driven side by side...

Edit: See my first test:

- - - Updated - - -

Fiance just got back... juicing up her car, and then we might try a quick run. *puts GoPros on charge*

- - - Updated - - -

Scratch that, she needs about 2 hours of HPWC love, and pretty likely her pack will be pretty warm by then. So, we'll reschedule for tomorrow morning after I bump both cars to 95% again after sitting at 90% overnight, same procedure as last time, although I think we'll do a slightly shorter trip this time.
You definitely shouldn't spend too much time on it this time, Jason. You seem to have a really good feel for what your car is doing. It sounds like you probably didn't get a change in the efficiency aspects of the software yet. You won't need the two-plus hours to confirm that.

Last edited by a moderator:
You definitely shouldn't spend too much time on it this time, Jason. You seem to have a really good feel for what your car is doing. It sounds like you probably didn't get a change in the efficiency aspects of the software yet. You won't need the two-plus hours to confirm that.

Nah, I was thinking a ~40 minute run, round trip. There is somewhere we were planning to go this weekend that is about 23 miles away, so, we'll just take both cars. Not much out of the way in that respect.

But yeah, so far I've not really been able to tell an efficiency difference between v6.0 and v6.1. It could be the cold (probably 10-15F lower than when I did my other test) but doubtful. Pretty easy to put to rest.